Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Helping Frustrated Newbies  (Read 5472 times)

robster

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
Helping Frustrated Newbies
« on: January 25, 2007, 07:58:55 PM »

I'd like to answer the question with another question: Why doesn't X10 take the brainpower and real-world experience of the top contributors here and provide a USEFUL manual with their products?  Wouldn't it be great to get your AHP bundle and find some great, clever Smart Macro examples included, or a FAQ pointing out the best way to trouble-shoot common problems? 

Can you imagine buying a SONY HDTV, not getting a good picture, going to the SONY web site and then getting help from other SONY users, but not SONY staff???  X10 is getting a free ride from you great people.  I'm amazed they don't send the "top guns" here regular free product samples, T-shirts and other goodies!

By the way, I live in the Seattle area, and I'll bet that if I took a $50 AHP starter kit to the average house, and randomly set up the CM15A and tried to automate a lamp two rooms away, it would probably work less than 30% of the time.  Between noise, phase coupling issues, and lousy RF reception on an unmodified CM15A, the average new user doesn't stand a chance.  I love my X10 stuff, and now that I have invested a lot of time, effort, and money into it, I have a super-cool and reliable setup.  But X10 is still geared for interested hobbyists, not for the average Joe or Josephine.  After all, I didn't have to learn about radio transmission to work my AM/FM clock radio, and I didn't even have to learn about the complexities of internal combustion to drive a car!  But I certainly had to learn about X10's transmission scheme, noise and noise filters, and phase coupling alternatives before I could get my system to work at all.  AND I had to void my CM15A's warranty in order to get RF reception throughout my entire house!
Rob

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: Helping Frustrated Newbies
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2007, 06:53:12 AM »

May not be possible to have a full Users Manual in the box.
Some other manufacturers have provided Full Manuals for download to supplement the Quick Start Guides in the box.
I do have a third party Automation Troubleshooting manual and a Real OLD X10 one also. I would guess out of print and data as the modules are like the CP290 for the computer controller.

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2007, 09:46:26 AM »

Almost every software outfit has gone to .pdf files for the  documentation, since 99% of users either have Acrobat Reader (dozens of sites have links to download the Reader) or can get it easily.  The last software I bought that came with a instruction book was in 2003. Corel was the last major software company to do it, and WP X3 (13) came with a .pdf on the install CD.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2007, 10:06:10 AM »

Why doesn't X10 take the brainpower and real-world experience of the top contributors here and provide a USEFUL manual with their products?  Wouldn't it be great to get your AHP bundle and find some great, clever Smart Macro examples included, or a FAQ pointing out the best way to trouble-shoot common problems? 

Something like this: X10Knowledgebase
The problem is most users have done things with x10 that even they had not thought possible! A note should be shipped with each unit pointing to this link as it is always updated. ;) :D ;D
Still the best place for up to date info is here in the forums as it usualy gets posted here first!( if a user discovers it ::) which is usualy the case)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Walt2

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 28
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2007, 01:40:15 PM »

I'd like to answer the question with another question: Why doesn't X10 take the brainpower and real-world experience of the top contributors here and provide a USEFUL manual with their products? 

I don't know why they don't.  :(

I can say, that as a past beta tester, I have been asked to provide feedback on early versions of a couple of  manuals.  I use to be a tech writer years ago.  So, I would actually send back to X10, re-written sections.  However, it became quickly clear to me is that all they wanted was for spelling errors to be reported.  If the manual was confusing or unclear, they had no desire to fix it.
* Sears Home Control System, Radio Shack Plug 'n Power, NuTone, Stanley LightMaker, BSR, HomeLink.
* Tecmar Device Master, CP290 (LightHouse), CM11A (AH), CM14A (AH2), CM15A (AHPro).

barrycom

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2007, 04:03:25 AM »

Manual?  Heck I would be happy to just have all the software download links I received in the email after I made the purchase work.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2007, 11:22:09 AM »

Welcom aboard barrycom
Sounds Like you just perchased OnAlert! ::)
You'll have to get them to send the file e-mail! :( ::)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

barrycom

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2007, 01:27:17 PM »

Thanks  ;D

I sent 3 emails so far requesting the file... guess I need to get off my lazy hind part and pick up the phone

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.