Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: X10 & ADT  (Read 8505 times)

tom j

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
X10 & ADT
« on: December 01, 2007, 12:09:45 AM »

Say guys just recently saw an add on cable for a ADT system where they show you controlling your lighting from out side your home this just has to be x10 technology anyone know for sure, they also have been advertising live video "SafeWatch" anyone know how this works wondering if the video requires an Ethernet connection? they say you can view your home from your cell phone, the thing I like about a Ethernet connection is that your computer does not have to be up and running as a mater of fact if I'm going out of town I lock up the notebooks in the safe, so a Ethernet connection would be ideal. Anyway looks like APT has been taking a few ques from x10's playbook, wonder if their system will also flash your lights that's the part I really like about x10 is the flashing lights I'm convinced that's what freaked out the guys that broke into my house and I can tell you they never came back! Say take a look at the link below seems like ADT has decided to really get cheap and install a GE's Simon look at the top of this link heck you could install that one yourself, then on top of that they want you to sign a three year contract boy this alarm business is really a scam and these companies try to get you is by insisting if they do the installation that you have to buy monitoring from them, what a racket!! so I guess the x10 system isn't really so bad if you need a basic system but with no support for fire or an outside sire I still see it as a temporary fix.

Tom j

http://www.securitychoice.com/adt-wireless-home-security-system.html

http://www.homesecuritystore.com/ezStore123/DTProductZoom.asp?productID=904

tom j

Re: X10 & ADT
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2007, 07:57:00 AM »

Say found this link for ADT's new safe-watch video monitoring. Seems like a computer must be connected, anyone know for sure?? and these guys want to charge you a monthly fee for this where as x10 is free after you purchase the hardware, x10 doesn't chage access to their remote server do they??  Hummm.... what a rip!!!

Tom j

http://www.adt.com/wps/portal/adt/for_your_home/products_services/video_surveillance/?wgc=how_it_works

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2007, 10:22:32 AM »

Say found this link for ADT's new safe-watch video monitoring. Seems like a computer must be connected, anyone know for sure??

I don't know Tom.... there wouldn't be a NEED to run a PC to do this. I am just guessing... but I would guess they run their own brand of IP server. Once again A GUESS.... but I think they are calling it a video gateway. I run an IP camera myself, and have for about three years.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2007, 10:34:56 AM by Dave_x10_L »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2007, 11:15:58 AM »

I used Tom's link, and from reading the info, the system is web based, not X10 at all.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2007, 11:53:29 AM »

Say found this link for ADT's new safe-watch video monitoring. Seems like a computer must be connected, anyone know for sure?? and these guys want to charge you a monthly fee for this...
It's a neat idea but ADT is one of the "big name" companies that typically installs their system for a song and then bleeds you dry by locking you into a monthly service fee that is 3 or 4 times the $8.95 / month I pay. When you add up the $20-$30 a month extra that you pay them over the period of a 3 year contract, that will easily pay for the cost of equipment to have a good system installed in the beginning.

BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2007, 06:06:30 PM »

When you add up the $20-$30 a month extra that you pay them over the period of a 3 year contract, that will easily pay for the cost of equipment to have a good system installed in the beginning.

Your absolutely right steven r! But this is the information age... what they (ADT) are also selling is (Information) Technology. They come to your home.. setup the system... guarantee all the wires are connected properly.... and show you what buttons to push.

I don't think most people care to learn how to setup there own systems. Or even if they want to learn, don't have the time, or basic skills needed. PLUS ADT (and other fee services) offer the gray-matter processing (a human) at the other end of the line.

All things considered... ADT (and other brand security services) are truely a real value!   X10.... for the do-it-yourselfer.. a REAL BARGAIN.

I think it's great that ADT is offering the security of home video monitoring. Making the greater-public aware of this technology will likely only increase X10 sales. And security should be available to everyone.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2007, 04:39:32 AM by Dave_x10_L »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

tom j

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2007, 11:46:33 PM »

Say found this link for ADT's new safe-watch video monitoring. Seems like a computer must be connected, anyone know for sure?? and these guys want to charge you a monthly fee for this...
It's a neat idea but ADT is one of the "big name" companies that typically installs their system for a song and then bleeds you dry by locking you into a monthly service fee that is 3 or 4 times the $8.95 / month I pay. When you add up the $20-$30 a month extra that you pay them over the period of a 3 year contract, that will easily pay for the cost of equipment to have a good system installed in the beginning.

Quote: When you add up the $20-$30 a month extra that you pay them over the period of a 3 year contract, that will easily pay for the cost of equipment to have a good system installed in the beginning.

My thoughts exactly Steve, but I was really wondering is if the ability to control your lights from outside your house that ADT is using is technology that is powerline based (x10) You really can save a bundle if you do the install yourself and have a third party do the monitoring mine will also be running 8.95 a month of cource there's a one time setup fee and you have to pay the whole year in advance but still a good deal. And thanks for your input Dave.

Tom j

http://monitoring.homesecuritystore.com/
« Last Edit: December 02, 2007, 12:04:39 AM by tom j »

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2007, 12:06:11 AM »

Your absolutely right steven r! But this is the information age... what they (ADT) are also selling is (Information) Technology. They come to your home.. setup the system... guarantee all the wires are connected properly.... and show you what buttons to push....
Good point.
For what it's worth, the local company that installed my alarm did also. They also went over the setup and operation with me. In fact, when I told them I wanted an output to trigger my powerflash, they found the proper output and ran wires over to the powerflash at no additional charge.
Had I gone with a company like ADT, I would of paid for for my system several times over by now. Furthermore, many "big name" companies install special equipment that lock out any chance of switching to any other monitoring service. I consider that to be like blackmail.
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.