Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: How to get started on Programming a Controller??  (Read 4098 times)

Bola

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
How to get started on Programming a Controller??
« on: January 23, 2007, 11:28:10 AM »

Hello everyone,

I am very new with using x10 and with home automation and have been overwhelmed looking for information on this forum.

I want to use socketrockets in my home along with a controller.  I've done a few searches and haven't been able to find a controller that does what I want and am now considering programming one myself.

What I need to know is what types of controllers are out there that are programmable, which ones are the best/cheapest and then how to go about programming.  I've programmed in several languages in the past (C++, Pascal, Basic, Visual Basic, Delphi, Assembly....) so I have some experience and am definitely willing to learn if I can be directed in the right direction.

All I want to do is turn lights on an off, but would like to be able to write my own program to control them (e.g. make them flash).

Any help would be very much appreciated!!

Thanks.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: How to get started on Programming a Controller??
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2007, 11:45:12 AM »

There are several controllers out that will allow you to write your own code several x10 controllers and some from Smarthomes.
If you are just looking to send commands then the cheepest controller would be the Firecracker CM17A there are several code examples which can be found on the net for this. The easiest would be the cm19A the usb version of the Firecracker this can be programed with the AHP SDK and will allow send and receive. Of coarse you'll need a transceiver with either of these! Both these controllers X10 still sells or can be picked up from E-bay fairly cheep! ;) :D
Of coarse there is the flag ship x10 controller CM15A (ActiveHome Pro) or the Cm11A (ActiveHome) but this one has issues with newer OSs and PCs.
I'm unfamiliar with the controllers from Smarthomes but I'm sure someone else will chime in with more info! ;) :D ;D
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Bola

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2007, 12:59:57 PM »

Thanks for the help Tuicemen,

However, I am still a bit confused... I'm going to be restating what I think you said in your last post, can someone please clarify if I am understanding this correctly?

If I buy a Firecracker, say the CM17A, I can install the software that comes with it and program it to communicate with my X10 devices??  (From the pics I've seen it seems that it just plugs into your computer, so what communication path does it use to send signals to the x10 devices?)

If I buy a Firecracker CM19A, I would also have to purchase an AHP SDK to program it, it will also be used to send and receive? 

In either case, why do you need a transceiver if the CM17A can send and receive or in the second scenario if the AHP SDK can send and receive?

Thanks again for the help!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2007, 01:37:23 PM »

sorry I wasn't a little more clear!
If I buy a Firecracker, say the CM17A, I can install the software that comes with it and program it to communicate with my X10 devices??
Yes
(From the pics I've seen it seems that it just plugs into your computer, so what communication path does it use to send signals to the x10 devices?)
It sends the info with the comport the Firecracker is plugged into.if you wish to make your own program you'll need to pass the info to that!
In either case, why do you need a transceiver if the CM17A can send and receive or in the second scenario if the AHP SDK can send and receive?
The CM17A and the CM19A sends RF only! The CM19A receives RF so a remote will work with it! You need a transceiver to place the RF commands On the power line!
If I buy a Firecracker CM19A, I would also have to purchase an AHP SDK to program it, it will also be used to send and receive? 

The SDK is free and allows send and receive it has the option to send Powerline commands but the cm19a can't do that (it only sends/receives RF)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Bola

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2007, 08:11:06 PM »

Thanks for clearing that up.

Am I correct in assuming that the firecracker can only be used to run a program from the computer??

I am looking for a stand alone unit, that I can program and have run the same program over and over.....

Any suggestions?

thanks.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2007, 11:30:52 PM »

You can do that with most of the controlers You may need some third party software or a plug-in for the software that ships with the hardware. If you don't wish to run a PC 24/7 then I'd suggest a CM15A (ActiveHome Pro) or the equivalent from Smarthomes
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.