Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: video sender - IR Control  (Read 60734 times)

aameradam

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
video sender - IR Control
« on: January 20, 2007, 03:28:04 PM »

I'm confused. The wiki for the video sender says:

On the sender unit, what is the infrared extender port for?

That port actually does not work with anything. It was intended for our IR emitter cable, the RX539. The idea was to be able to send video and audio through the sender units and transmit IR signals from your remote controls back to the source TV or VCR. However, that part of the product was never made functional; there would need to be an IR to RF converter/sender in the Receiver, and there is not one. Instead of using that port, we recommend that you use our PowerMid units

Then how will I be able to control my sat reciever from the upstairs bedroom? Do I have to buy the powermid seperately? I thought the video sender came with this feature built in.

Any help is appreciated.

mrdaniel76

Re: video sender - IR Control
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2007, 11:44:46 AM »

Good question. I am also looking into buying it and would like to know the answer to this as well.

I am thinking the wiki is outdated, because on the top it says:

- Control your living room cable box by remote as you watch it in your upstairs bedroom - NEW built-in remote sender feature![/b]

???
« Last Edit: January 23, 2007, 11:47:14 AM by mrdaniel76 »

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2007, 02:19:38 PM »

In the wiki I didn't see the latest senders model number. maybe it is not up to date yet.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2007, 06:23:02 PM »

I have two sets of the VK82A and they work great. I have used one set to operate a VCR in another room. It has little "stick-on" emitters.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2007, 06:41:51 PM »

Thank you David for that information. It should assist many with questions.
Though it was indicated the users manual was available. I looked in both the Support area of X10 and the X10 FTP site with no luck.

x10user

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2007, 03:57:46 PM »

I have bought the latest video audio sender for Direct TV.   The Platinum remote (free) works with my TV...but not with the DirectTV box|_
The interference on the receiving TV.....is terrible.     Anyone know how to eliminate that.   I have tried all the suggested solutions. earlier ones did not work.  They are in a box of retards.    Some of X10 is great.  Some are not any good. 

Until this is improved...or the problem found....do not buy it.... Have you read the instructions for returning an item you purchased....?

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2007, 04:44:31 PM »

Then you have checked for known problem devices like a wireless network and 2.4 Ghz cordless phones.

HA Dave

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2007, 08:18:46 PM »

I have bought the latest video audio sender for Direct TV......  I have tried all the suggested solutions. earlier ones did not work. 

I have had very good luck with my Video sender/receiver's (VK82A). But, They can take a bit of fiddling (as does some other X10 products).

I send from my basement to the upstairs. I found my floors are easier to send through then my metal lathe walls. I placed my sending unit to avoid walls and a steel I-beam that runs the length of my basement. The receiving unit is directed at (the receiving side of the antenna is facing) a corner in the room (which actually points away from the sender). That seems to work better for some other people also (or so I've read).

The technology is reliable, don't give-up yet. Search the forum on wireless cameras for more information also. Keep us informed so we can work with you.

HA Dave

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2007, 01:30:52 PM »

I have bought the latest video audio sender for Direct TV.   The Platinum remote (free) works with my TV...but not with the DirectTV box|_
The interference on the receiving TV.....is terrible.     

I have thought about Direct TV or Dish Network myself. I currently have Cable TV. If I was to set up a Sat receiver upstairs, yet wanted to watch a Sat program on the theater downstairs, or in the bedroom..... couldn't I just modulate the signal and feed it back through the DIS-connected cable network?

Of course.... you don't need X10 to do that. But I don't sell this stuff....

dseven

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2007, 02:45:49 PM »

Yes, if the range is pretty short, and you don't have a lot of walls and/or a wireless LAN in your home, this product is OK.  However, I found the signal was too weak for a solid and clear picture trying to transmit about 60 ft through several walls from one end of the house to the other.   Yes, I have a wireless LAN and a microwave oven etc like probably the majority of the folks who buy these kind of gadgets.

I came up with an idea and have completed a modification that works incredibly well.  What I did was cut off the crappy stock antennas and put RP-TNC jacks on both the sender and receiver units.  I then hooked up a couple of 8" square flat panel directional Wi-Fi patch antennas.   The antennas are hidden behind a picture frame and a stereo speaker.  Totally invisible as my wife requires it :)   This obviously voids the warranty, but I have crystal clear video now and I'm very happy.   This has caused no problems with the wi-fi LAN in my house either.

I'm probably the first to hack these new video sender units but expect others will probably get the same idea to do something similar.  The complete mod cost me less than $60 for the two antennas and RP-TNC connectors.   Whatever you do, don't use omni-directional antennas if you want to try to hack these.  You need directional antennas properly aimmed point-to-point between sender and receiver.  That way you keep interference down and you don't generate excess interference yourself.   

The only issue I have to resolve is getting the IR-repeater with these working.   It doesn't work with my sat receiver, thus that's why I'm checking out this thread for ideas as to whether or not the IR feature is junk or it really works.

dseven

Visionman

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2007, 01:14:11 PM »

???  OOPS, the post dissapeared :(

My video sender works ok. A little interference from a neighbor's 2.4 equipment I think. The antennae hack looks real good. My worst problem is I can not make the remote work with my Direct TV DVR. No manufacturer but it say "Man#500" on the bottom label. Code search does not work either. My TV does, but thats worthless except proving the transmitter is working.

Anybody ever gotten this to work on DTV ?

Visionman ( Rich )
« Last Edit: February 06, 2007, 01:23:31 PM by Visionman »

mrdaniel76

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2007, 10:27:23 AM »

I have mine working with Directv, but I use their DirectTivo dvr unit (philips) and the remote control works most of the time. I used code 621.

But I am having very bad luck with the interferences. I already turned off everything and still get a lot of interference. Sometimes I get good picture but I am still getting a lot of cracking sound. Even if I pause my dvr I get the cracking sound.  >:(

I am only using them 20ft a part and only with one wall in between them. I already tried all 4 settings.

:-[
« Last Edit: February 10, 2007, 10:29:11 AM by mrdaniel76 »

HA Dave

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2007, 12:11:41 PM »

Well your at lease half-way there.

Some walls offer more Resistance to signal penetration then others (metal lath can be a real "show stopper"). Sometimes... it can be as simple as the cheap RCA connecting wires lowering transmission quality. Though I don't think that is your problem.

For me I have found that sending to (directing the senders antenna towards) a rooms corner walls, then directing the receivers antenna to the same corner, works very well.

There are many factors involved, and MUCH has been written on this and the camera signal transmittion and reception. Searching here at the forum will give you some ideas of things to look at and try.

Keep us informed.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2007, 10:25:57 PM by Dave_x10_L »

Sound Guy

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2007, 11:50:33 PM »

Hi Dave,
Any ideas how to work out the bugs with a UR78A universal remote.( Audio only) It is the unit that comes with the wirless speaker rig. The transmitter and reciever (with built in amp) seem to be working fine. My remote control has lost its memory. It doesn't talk to anything except the TV. It was talking to my Sat. receiver (Star Choice, yeah I'm a Canuck EH! ) the whole remote just hung it up one night and that was all. I'm open for any ideas.
Thanks
Sound Guy

gtwing

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2007, 10:59:18 AM »

I finally got my video sender/receiver working great, instead of hooking the sender up to the AV out jacks on my TV like the instructions said, I hooked them directly to the second out jacks on my DirecTV HD-DVR.  With a little adjusting of the receiver ( it actually works best upside down  :o) I got rid of all the noise.  The picture is great. 

I never could get the remote to work with my DirecTV HD-DVR, none of the codes worked and using the search feature just got my finger tired of pressing the Channel + button. 

The IR extender works great, my upstairs DTV remote controls my downstairs HD-DVR perfectly.
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.