Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: I need help with Vanguard software installation issues  (Read 57149 times)

spelbound

• Helpful Post Rating: -2
I need help with Vanguard software installation issues
« on: January 21, 2007, 06:53:22 PM »

Hi, I purchased a 4 camera package from x10.com and I'm having the worst set up experience I've ever had.First the B&W camer that they sent me went bad and had to be returned
I', still waiting fot the replacement after several calls, then this...
Downloaded Vanguard software after I installed the cameras and installed software.
Things worked great for about 24 hours and then the software crashed.
On the server side I get the following message: Run  DLL as an App has encountered a problem and needs to close.
I've tried everything spending 1.5 hours with x10 tech support on the phone to formating my HD and reinstalling the vanguard program
I can uninstall the software to reload it witout wiping my HD clean, The tech at x10 could nod help me in 1.5 hours , and this is my last hope before I return everything for a refund
Nothing seems to work, when I try to use the software by double clicking on the icon on my desktop I get the same results each time.
Software looks like its going to begin then min's itself to a small blue box at the lower point on my desktop with a GV in it.
Can you give me any idea of ehats going on?

thanks in advance

Leslie  LEmman9653@msn.com

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: I need help with Vanguard software installation issues
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2007, 10:23:17 AM »

I'm unfamiliar with the Vanguard software but you don't need to format your Harddrive to remove all the install info!
many of the problems users have when setting up as system is to try and install every thing all at once and install from the internet!
Never install from the internet, download the file then install it from your PC! Too many things can go wrong with an internet install!
I don't know if thats how you installed the program but dll problems are common doing that! Perhaps someone more familiar with Vanguard can Jump in  with some other suggestions! ;)
Many are using this software with out any issues, problem is few come here unless they have problems! ::) :(
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

spelbound

• Helpful Post Rating: -2
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2007, 10:39:58 AM »

Thats what I did , I installed it to my HD and then opened the file and installed the program
XP un install will not un install the program.
I tried to un install the Vanguard at the request and sugestion of the x10 tech who thought that the program was corrupt
The program installs to your system registry and the only way to remove it complete is to erase it from your HD's registry
I then re installed it and the same thing happend
Thanks for your prompt response, which is much more then I have received from x10

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2007, 11:07:19 AM »

spelbound
The program may still be corrupt You can clear your windows registry with out formating and the tech at X10 should have told you that! sugesting a reformate is a lame way to fix things! Too many Computer techs suggest that as the fast fix " but it isn't their info their wipping out!"
Anyways Back to your Problem!
E-mail support provide them with your order number and ask them to send you the install program via e-mail tell them your down load link fails!
Don't worry about uninstalling the previuos version installing the new copy will over write the errors!
Since you have a clean OS running I won't suggest as defrag and scandisk!
I think I read somewhere your running XP if this is true right click on "my computer", then click 'properties', then "advanced", then "startup and recovery(settings)".
Go down to system failure and uncheck "automatic restart" make sure "send administrative alert" is checked! then click ok!
Now whenif you have a problem windows will dispaly a message which you can see  an additional info box should display which will provide more info on the error.
If you keep getting the same error and can locate the problem DLL file you can download a newer or clean version of it from the internet! ;) :D

Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

pauldavis

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2007, 08:30:03 PM »

I'm having what appears to be an even more elementary problem: I can't even get the software to install.  I left a message at the tech support line (after waiting on hold for the better part of an hour), and they never returned my call, so I'm wondering if I can get any help here.

I downloaded the stub and have it on my local drive, but the installation itself is then driven by the stub, which logs in somewhere and downloads the program itself.  It downloaded about 70%, and then it got stuck.  I've tried it umpteen times, and every time while it's downloading x10net.dll it stops and I get "An I/O error occurred while installing a file.  This is normally caused by bad installation media or a corrupt installation file."  The options are Abort and Retry.  Retry just brings the same screen again, so Abort is really the only option.

Anyone know what I'm supposed to do now?  Other than refuse delivery on the hardware, which is what I'm inclined to do since this system will be mostly useless if I can't get the software to work.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2007, 03:14:01 PM »

pauldavis:   Some times older software will only install in safe mode!
Have you tried this?
You don't state which OS you are using so please provide some more info if the safe mode trrick doesn't work!
EG : the OS your using ,amount of mem, free hard drive space,CPU......... ;)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

pauldavis

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2007, 03:21:18 AM »

Thank you for the suggestion.  I have tried it in Safe Mode, and it produces exactly the same error result.

mr.bch

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2007, 11:08:25 PM »

I am having the indentical issues.  Clean XP pro install.  All MS updates.  I/O error.  Frustrating to start this out with......

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2007, 04:05:49 PM »

Email tech support and request them to email you the Program, Explain your problems with the download link! ;)
Also PM Michael M and explain your problem to him, he may be able to light a fire under the right person at X10 to help with this! ;)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2007, 07:00:15 PM by Tuicemen »
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

dgarces3

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2007, 02:25:02 AM »

i have a computer running xp but i just another withvista and wanted to know if anyone has any info on when will vista work with vanguard. i was told by x10 that in a few weeks from now but did not give any exact or a better response. if they do get the compatilble drivers will they list it in their main page??? thanks

Dave Butler

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2007, 02:25:30 PM »

I have 2 ActiveHome Pro systems at 2 different locations, both with multiple standard (robotic) cameras and each with one Vanguard Camera as well.  Everything works fine on the installed (host) computer, but when connecting through the internet, via the myhouse ActiveHome remote program,the pushbutton menus for the presets won't work on the Vanguards.  Through a complicated macro, I can get the program to run the robotic mount program with the Vanguard connected, and I can use the 4 presets and other tilt and pan functions (not zoom, of course), but it's not a very friendly solution.  X10 support won't comment on the problems except to say that I should reinstall the software (which I have done to no avail).  Does anybody have a Vanguard camera (with or without other "standard" cameras that will perform all of the functions correctly with the remote connection?  I can get it to work through a program like gotomypc.com, but the graphics are very very slow.  I can be reached directly at my email, info@aviationseminars.com ... Thanks!

Dominator

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2007, 01:33:55 AM »

I am having the identical issues.  Clean XP pro install.  All MS updates.  I/O error.  Frustrating to start this out with......

I also have the same problem  >:(.  Does anyone solve this problem?, or know how .  Please help.  Thanks

wizard

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2007, 12:05:40 PM »

x10 service really sucks! They know nothing about their product  good luck >:(

erock

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2007, 01:12:55 PM »

I'm having the same problem. I've emailed tech support with no answer. Could someone post a link to download functioning software?

erock

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2007, 01:26:59 PM »

I just noticed this article in the kb: http://kbase.x10.com/wiki/Solving_%22Vanguard_requires_an_installed_VA11A%22_Message

This may help explain the problem if vanguard software requires all drivers to be installed before installation of the software. I haven't received my hardware for the system and was just installing the software without any USB drivers installed. I don't understand why it would give an I/O error without drivers installed, though.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2007, 01:28:56 PM by erock »
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.