Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Exhaust Fan  (Read 10797 times)

Snoochy

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
Exhaust Fan
« on: December 28, 2006, 12:15:34 PM »

Can someone conirm back to me if the correct switch to use on a standard bathroom type exhaust fan is the XPS3?

I have tried the WS467, but it only turns on, not off.  I read on some other post that they put the Leviton fluorescent/appliance switch on their bathroom fan for "cat aroma" control, so that lead me to believe that I might need a switch for fluorescent type appliances to contol the low voltage motor on the exhaust fan?

Thanks very much in advance.

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
Re: Exhaust Fan
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2006, 12:28:07 PM »

The XPS3 20A Wall Switch is the correct type to use for a non-dimming inductive load (bathroom fan fits this description).

If your bathroom fan is a standard exhaust type, it will be 120VAC (not low voltage).

Keep in mind that this switch requires a Neutral wire. If you don't have the switch yet, it would be good to check inside the switch box first to make sure before you buy it.

Snoochy

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2006, 12:57:02 PM »

The switch is currently in line so the power goes into the switch and then on to the fan.  It currently has a standard 15A wire (Canada) with one white, one black (load), and plain copper for ground.  A normal switch has the load go in and out of the switch, and the whites are just capped together.

So when the PDF refers to a "neutral", I'm not 100% sure, so I thought I would ask...I cap the control on the new switch as indicated on the PDF, run the load in and out of the switch, but then is the "neutral" then connected to my whites? 

I have plenty of modules, but this would be my first one which required the neutral. 

Thanks very much.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2006, 01:13:59 PM »

Normally White is the Neutral and since they are all capped together. Add one to the switches neutral input.
Yes if no three way companion switch is used. Cap and don't use the Control connection.

Snoochy

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2007, 05:43:59 PM »

Well, I just got the WPs3 switch and connected it as described.  The red light on it works, however, it does not turn on my fan.  I looked at the fan and the motor says it is 250V  50/60HZ.  I also note that the WPS3 says that it is 120V.  So now I am not sure I have the right switch again.  Any suggestions to help me to get this fan working?  Thanks very much.

Puck

• Advanced Member
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2007, 05:55:05 PM »

I looked at the fan and the motor says it is 250V  50/60HZ.

It's probably rated to operate up to that voltage. With 50/60Hz mentioned, it is most likely compatible for both North American & European installation.

You mentioned you're in Canada, so I'm sure your bathroom fan was connected and working on 120VAC. Maybe verify all your connections: make sure your line & load wires are correct, make sure any wires you put in a wirenut and all making good contacts.

Snoochy

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2007, 06:00:46 PM »

The switch is inline, so one set of wires into the switch box, and the other going out.  The one going in is the "live" one with a black (being live) and white being neutral.  I connect this live black into the WPS3 "load" connector.  Then I connect the black wire going out of the switch box to the fan...I connect its black to the "line" connector on the WPS3.  That leaves 2 white neutral wires in the switch box.  I connect both of these into the 2 connectors on the WPS3 labeled "neutral".  I believe that this is correct? 

Snoochy

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2007, 06:04:03 PM »

Just to be sure every thing still works, I put back my ws467 (connected the live black to the switches black) and the blue to the black wire travelling to the fan.  The whites were just capped behind the switch.  This works if I press the button manually on and off, but does not work if I want to use a remote to turn it off (it can be turned on by remote).

Puck

• Advanced Member
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2007, 07:50:51 PM »

The one going in is the "live" one with a black (being live) and white being neutral.  I connect this live black into the WPS3 "load" connector.  Then I connect the black wire going out of the switch box to the fan...I connect its black to the "line" connector on the WPS3.

I dunno if this was just a typo, but you have the 2 backwards.

Should Be: Live (in) to Line (XPS3)... Load (XPS3) to fan (out).

Also, there should only be one neutral wire from the XPS3 (which will connect to the 2 white neutral wires in the box). The other wire from the XPS3 is a control line... you should just have this one capped off and not connected to anything.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2007, 07:56:55 PM by Puck »

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2007, 08:05:38 PM »

If you put the WS467 back as a test. The results maybe correct. It is not made to control a fan motor and the fans motor maybe interfering with the X10 off signal and that maybe the problem.

Snoochy

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2007, 09:30:18 PM »

So sorry...it wasn't a typo...just me being an idiot.  I did have the line and load mixed up.  Thanks very much for catching that.

Much appreciated.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.