Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Carbon Monoxide detector compatible with X10  (Read 6566 times)

chiefop

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Carbon Monoxide detector compatible with X10
« on: January 28, 2007, 09:23:32 PM »

Does anyone have information on an available carbon monoxide detector that will work with an X10 security system.  I would also like to combine that with smoke detector.

vhoang

• Helpful Post Rating: 7
    • Automation Tips & Mini DLLs
Re: Carbon Monoxide detector compatible with X10
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2007, 04:29:10 PM »

If you can find one with a "dry contact closure" option, you can x10 enable it by connecting it to a powerflash module.   Just call up your local hardware store to see if they have sensor with the contact closure connection.   Most security based ones do.

rfxcom has one with their rf-x10 chip embedded but i haven't seen them sell in the US yet.   netherland group.

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2007, 12:30:36 PM »

Unless your application is to monitor a remote location or as a supplemental alert, I would NEVER use X10 to let me know when it wasn't safe to breath. X10 is a great tool but I'd never rely on it for a life or death situation.
e.g. I'd have no problem if X10 flashed the lights but I'd want my CO detector screaming at 100++ decibels first!
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

Walt2

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 28
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2007, 01:34:14 PM »

If you can find one with a "dry contact closure" option, you can x10 enable it by connecting it to a powerflash module.

The wired-in smoke/fire and CO detectors, usually have a third wire.  This third wire is meant to trigger other detectors.  Basically, if one sounds, they all sound.

This third wire is 120v.  I guess one could use that, thru an low-voltage AC adapter, and into a powerflash too.

Of course, this way the detector will sound, and you can, in addition, have X10 do stuff too like flashing the outside lights for the fire dept can locate your house, and turn on the inside hallway lights so that you can more easily find your way out.
* Sears Home Control System, Radio Shack Plug 'n Power, NuTone, Stanley LightMaker, BSR, HomeLink.
* Tecmar Device Master, CP290 (LightHouse), CM11A (AH), CM14A (AH2), CM15A (AHPro).

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.