Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Do I need a Security Console?  (Read 14538 times)

flameout

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Do I need a Security Console?
« on: January 27, 2007, 11:11:09 PM »

I recently purchased a bunch of X10 devices (Active Home Pro, HR12A, SC546A, SS13A, TM751, CM15A, LM465, MS10A, DS10A and more)

I have numerous quantities of each. My problem is with the Security Motion Sensor (MS10A) and the Door/Window Sensor (DS10A). I don't think I can use them without a Security Console (DS7000?) Is that what I need, or is there something else I can get in order to use the window sensors and Motion Sensors?  ???

Can you supply a link to what I need? (the X10 web site has to be one of the worst to navigate through)

Thanks

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: Do I need a Security Console?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2007, 11:05:20 AM »

If you wish to use the security modules with AHP you need the On Alert Plug-in!
No console is needed as I don't run one! ;)
you can find the plug-in here: On Alert
Warning: be sure to read this link before you try to install!:
Topic: Newer Version On Server  (Read 4025 times)
« Last Edit: January 28, 2007, 11:08:58 AM by Tuicemen »
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

flameout

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2007, 11:35:45 AM »

ok, thanks for the info. This X10 stuff is getting expensive. I had alot of X10 modules back in the mid 90's, but think my ex wife has it all now.

So even if I do get a security console @ $49, I still need the software to go along with it and AHP,  @  $49?

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2007, 12:37:21 PM »

So even if I do get a security console @ $49, I still need the software to go along with it and AHP,  @  $49?
Only if you want Active Home Pro to monitor or trigger macros with security modules! ;) :D ;D
Personaly I wouldn't get the console. I don't think AHP will work with the $49 version console ;)
« Last Edit: January 28, 2007, 12:39:10 PM by Tuicemen »
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

flameout

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2007, 05:49:59 PM »

So if I get the On Alert plugin, and I use the MS10A motion sensor and the window/door sensors, do I also need to buy a chime to, or what would I get to know that motion has been detected, or a door/window has been opened?

Sorry for all these questions, but I'm a little confused on what I need

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2007, 06:18:14 PM »

You can go the chime route or create macros with the "Windows Command option" found under "Advanced Functions" when creating the macro. Then use X10WavPlayer,Windows SoundRecorder or some other sound program to play a sound file!
Or you could just trigger a light to flash!
Note: You'll need to create a batch file to point to the proper sound file as AHP doesn't seem to allow  some programs ot use variables! ::)
X10WavPlayer does this for you and is free! ;) :D ;D
Also using the On Alert plug-in means your PC has to be on 24/7 or at least when you wish to be notified of a security sensor tripping! ;) :D ;D
Sorry for all these questions, but I'm a little confused on what I need
Not a problem! I'd rather see and read questions about what one should get then posts stating: "What X10 sold me was useless or It doesn't do what I wanted!" ;) :D ;D
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

flameout

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2007, 07:05:43 PM »

Ok, more dumb questions  :)

I leave my computer on 24/7 (for the most part) so that part won't be a problem. Do I nned to leave my CM15A (ActiveHome Professional Computer Interface) plugged into my computer with USB cable in order to use OnAlert? Also, is there a way to have it send a text msg to my cell phone, or does it only send email? I know if I send an email to my phone addressed as messaging.sprint@xxxxxxxxxx (x=my number) it sends me a text. Can I set this up to do that?

And do I only need one chime unit, and any activation of a motion sensor or window/door sensor will chime the same unit? (an unrelated question, but can that annoying chime sound be changed, to sound more like a door bell or something?)

So right now, I'm set to by "On Alert" and I also need to buy "Smart Macros"? (and probably eventually get "myHouse" and "iWatchOut" - I have some older X10 cameras I bought in mid 90's that I still have)

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2007, 07:21:51 PM »

Do I nned to leave my CM15A (ActiveHome Professional Computer Interface) plugged into my computer with USB cable in order to use OnAlert?

Yes
I know if I send an email to my phone addressed as messaging.sprint@xxxxxxxxxx (x=my number) it sends me a text. Can I set this up to do that?
Yes with the MyHouse plug-in

And do I only need one chime unit, and any activation of a motion sensor or window/door sensor will chime the same unit?
Yes, but a sound file or TTS played through speakers would be more specific as to which sensor tripped!
(an unrelated question, but can that annoying chime sound be changed, to sound more like a door bell or something?)
Some of the chimes can be changed to different chime sounds read the write up about the chime before you purchase! ;) :D

Since you don't have any of the plug-ins yet I may be best to get a package deal which comes with all plug-ins and a new CM15A for the price of one plug-in! ;) Search the deal section at X10 you may find it offered as it some times is! ;)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

flameout

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2007, 08:15:54 AM »

I ended up buying myHouse, onAlert and the SmartMacro software. I bought if off of eBay (I hope that's not a problem - I saw others here mentioning eBay). Also bought the SignaLinc Plug-in Phase Coupler X10 and a few wall switch modules. I have another package of goodies coming from X-10, due to be delivered tomorrow :)

I haven't received the links to my software yet, so haven't had a chance to try anything out. I mentioned in a previous post that I have some older X10 cameras. What would I need in order to be able to record right to my hard drive?

Some of the older X-10 stuff that I still have includes some SC15A Color Video Cameras, UX23A-C VCR Controller (although the VCR is packed away somewhere now) VT30A sender and VR31A receiver

Walt2

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 28
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2007, 09:10:18 AM »

IAlso bought the SignaLinc Plug-in Phase Coupler X10 and a few wall switch modules.

Did you get the Coupler or the Coupler/Repeater?  The 4826B Coupler/Repeater has some known problems with X10's 2-way modules.   :o
* Sears Home Control System, Radio Shack Plug 'n Power, NuTone, Stanley LightMaker, BSR, HomeLink.
* Tecmar Device Master, CP290 (LightHouse), CM11A (AH), CM14A (AH2), CM15A (AHPro).

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2007, 09:26:06 AM »

You will need a VA11A USB video adaptor (no other video capture device works with AHP) and the Iwitness (iWatchOut they are calling it now) video plug-in if you plan on using AHP to control your cams.
Or you could get Xray Vision(free) and use any video capture device but I'm not sure if you can control cams with it using the CM15A.
As Walt2 stated many have experienced problems with the SignaLinc combo coupler/repeater!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

flameout

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2007, 09:38:57 AM »

IAlso bought the SignaLinc Plug-in Phase Coupler X10 and a few wall switch modules.

Did you get the Coupler or the Coupler/Repeater?  The 4826B Coupler/Repeater has some known problems with X10's 2-way modules.   :o

The model I bought was the 4816B2. Hope that is ok?

flameout

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2007, 09:42:44 AM »

You will need a VA11A USB video adaptor (
Or you could get Xray Vision(free) and use any video capture device but I'm not sure if you can control cams with it using the CM15A.

Ok, I'll look into that VA11A adaptor. I have this adaptor now called Dazzle to Go, from Pinnacle. It's used  for PCTV. Maybe I'll try that Xray Vision (since it's free) to see if that will work with this. I'm sure I'll end up getting the VA11A in the near future though

Walt2

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 28
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2007, 10:10:04 AM »

The model I bought was the 4816B2. Hope that is ok?

Yes.  The 4816 is a coupler only (no repeater).
* Sears Home Control System, Radio Shack Plug 'n Power, NuTone, Stanley LightMaker, BSR, HomeLink.
* Tecmar Device Master, CP290 (LightHouse), CM11A (AH), CM14A (AH2), CM15A (AHPro).

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.