Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: what is the best solution for me?  (Read 13132 times)

AJAJ

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
what is the best solution for me?
« on: January 29, 2007, 02:16:25 PM »

I have someone throwing rocks/soda cans at my house.  This is happening at various hours of the day and night.  I need to figure out who is doing this.  So basically I need something that will capture who is throwing the stuff and record it on my computer.  This can be during the day or night, so the camera should be able to do both.  What is the best solution for me.  What all do I need?

Thanks,
AJAJ

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: what is the best solution for me?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2007, 07:23:34 PM »

You've most certainly come to the right forum! X10 has all the products you might need, [and even if they didn't] none of us mind giving links to other vendors.

But first... how far is your house from the road/sidewalk/rock thrower? Distance is important for image quality.

What sort of exterior lighting are you currently using? Lighting is also important, in case you need an IR camera.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

AJAJ

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2007, 11:03:27 PM »

My house is about 20 - 30 feet from the road, so the camera needs to be able to capture that far clearly.  There is no exterior lighting, so at night, it is all dark and the camera needs to handle that as well. 

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2007, 08:57:00 AM »

First you will need cameras. Wired are more hassle to install but aren't effected by interference from wireless phones, microwave ovens, wireless broadband, or even computers (as wireless can be). It's a personal choice, I use both. I really like my wired X10 color cam, and I have read great things about X10 wireless WIDE EYE cam.

For totally dark conditions you will need an IR or "night vision" camera. A couple of us on the forum are getting good results with the ASTAK brand. They are inexpensive and easy to find (search security camera at walmart.com). The one I own is wired (not wireless) and I picked it up at a walmart store for $58. Be sure you know the cameras night vision "range" before buying. If 30 feet is your requirement, I would get one with AT LEAST a 30 foot range, 40 foot wouldn't hurt.

To get the camera image to your computer you will need:

Motion sensors like the EagleEye Motion Sensors (MS14A) to detect the rock thrower (and turn on the camera and notifiy the computer to record).

AHP (Active Home Pro is a USB interface and software). CLICK HERE

Something like the iwatchout software (plug-in) with the USB Video Capture Adapter (VA11A). CLICK HERE

If you want something more like advise, instead of a shopping list: I would recommend you start with an X10 one camera kit that includes the video commander (which will work with a VCR to tape your video). This will get you up and running very quickly, while you build your system. CLICK HERE Of course if your completely new to X10, will will also need a transceiver, and a palmpad remote might be nice too.

I would also increase the outside lighting. I like the motion activated floodlights. Nobody wants to be seen throwing rocks. I would also check the doors, windows and locks all around the house. If you don't have a security alarm, this might be a good time to look at one.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2007, 10:27:31 AM by Dave_x10_L »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.