Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: MS14A on my house, but don't know what it triggers... HELP?  (Read 3435 times)

cr1

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
MS14A on my house, but don't know what it triggers... HELP?
« on: January 29, 2007, 10:11:27 PM »

Hi

I recently purchased a house and found a MS14A motion sensor on the outside near the front porch. I thought maybe it triggered the porch light, but after replacing the dead batteries, that wasn't it. I tried several porch outlets and several just-inside-the-door outlets. Nothing.

Having read the little guide inside the sensor, and the minimal documentation for the thing, I realize that the "default" setting (perhaps especially after being without battery power for at least 9 months) may not be the same setting as a receiving device.

So... Is there a device/tool that I can get that will help me find out what, if anything, in my house is tied to this sensor? Kind-of like those little probes that tell you if there's electrical wires behind a wall, or if electricity is flowing to an outlet. Something that says "there is a receiver near here" or something that will make a receiving device beep or something... Judging from pictures of outlets that have X10 control ability, I can see that those have dials on the front for receiver channel settings and know that I don't have any of those, but what about in-wall circuits or maybe a receiver in the attic somewhere?

I've looked online at troubleshooting tools and have gone through the forums (yes, i tried advanced searching) but with no info on this; everything assumes you have either put the devices in yourself or have just bought the things.

Any clues? Help?!

Thanks
CR
« Last Edit: January 29, 2007, 10:36:24 PM by cr1 »

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
Re: MS14A on my house, but don't know what it triggers... HELP?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2007, 10:52:44 PM »

Once the batteries are removed, the MS14A would reset itself to house / unit code A1.

However, the MS14A sends an RF signal, so it would require a transceiver to control something in your house. I'm sure you would have noticed one of those plugged into an outlet somewhere.  ;)

But there could still be some X10 switch somewhere. Generally, it will look and feel different than a regular wall switch. There is no easy way to test for what may exist. You could either get a Transceiver and (painstakingly) program the MS14A for each of the 256 addresses and try each one, or get an X10 plug-in controller and test that way.

cr1

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2007, 11:06:03 PM »

Thanks Puck -- both for the info and the quick response!  :)

While I figured that the transceiver should be noticeable, I also have the joy of knowing that the person who renovated this house did some very unusual things... So I wouldn't be surprised if there was a transceiver inside a wall somewhere because he thought "that would be the best place for it".

Ideally I'd like to tie it to our porch lights, but those are hard-wired so the transceiver and controller you linked to don't seem to be what I would need. But I just can't help think that there's got to be something in the house being controlled by it already... I mean, who would take the time to put an RF motion sensor on a house and NOT have something somewhere connected.

Thanks again... I'll keep digging.  ;)

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2007, 11:30:34 PM »

If you really are concerned and don't want to add any x10 gear down the road go to e-bay and purchase a HR12A Plam pad that will find a transceiver(they usualy click when switched on/off) if there is one in the house and any device controlled by it!
You can find the HR12A for under $7!
If you plan on adding X10 gear get a kit most include a plam pad as a freebie! ;) :D
Just click on the whats included link before you buy to be sure that kit includes one! ;)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

cr1

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2007, 12:04:51 AM »

Thanks Tuiceman

I'm not "concerned" per-se -- I'm curious. :) I'd like to use the thing (or use what it's controlling already -- if anything at all) but I've sat this long without even knowing what it was! I've noticed the sensor before, but didn't pay attention to what brand or type or anything... I just knew it didn't do squat!

The HR12A still seems like a lot of tedious work to find a transceiver, but I'll see if I can't find one locally in a used electronics store or something. I was hoping for a more instant-gratification type device. Like those range finders in Alien -- "It's right outside the door!"

If nothing else, I'll just get some X10 gear and use the sensor -- even if some transceiver in the house is also going on/off or just being wasted. :)

Thanks again
cr

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2007, 06:54:55 AM »

If the lights are hard wired. It could be possible the on/off wall switch is an X10 one.
A clue could be a small tab on the bottom edge of the wall switch. There is a safety slide switch that breaks the electrial path for safety during bulb changes.
The transceiver takes the RF control signal from the MS14A converts it to a powerline signal that then turns on and off the lights.

cr1

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2007, 11:41:51 AM »

thanks all

I've gone over every switch and outlet in the house and none appear to be X10 related. I've not crawled all through the attic, but doubt there's a receiver up there.

Thanks for all of the tips and things to look for. I think I'm just going to forget that the sensor is there and take the batteries out to use somewhere else. For now. :)

Cheers
cr

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.