Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: What hardware should i by for my requierments?  (Read 58146 times)

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
Re: What hardware should i by for my requierments?
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2007, 08:33:10 PM »

Ow, i am then verry sorry that i have not been clear from the begining. Yes, that is exactly what i whant!

Intellihome sells the 220V, 50Hz European version CM11:
  http://www.intellihome.be/english/home_automation.asp?menu=6

However Linux users have had problems with the USB cable supplied with this unit.   At one time the CM11 was shipped with both the RS232 cable and the USB cable, or the CM11 with the RS232 cable was separately listed.  Contact them to find out how to order the CM11 with a RS232 cable.

If you don't have two RS232 ports on your computer you'll need to get a USB->Serial adapter which is compatible with Linux.

Update 7 Apr 2007 by CS: Intellihome replied to my inquiry and said that both the Serial and USB cables are shipped with the CM11 per the above URL and no special ordering instructions are required.

Charles,

When did the CM11A come with a USB cable? The one I got with Active Home only had a serial (RS232) cable (9-pin)  Did X10 Europe make a European CM11A that was USB?
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

TakeTheActive

• Helpful Post Rating: 126
  • Old !@#$% Tinkerer!
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2007, 09:06:25 PM »

Intellihome sells the 220V, 50Hz European version CM11:  http://www.intellihome.be/english/home_automation.asp?menu=6

When did the CM11A come with a USB cable?

Following the LINK provided by Charles:

CM11 Computer Interface - USB

Low Post Count != Low Knowledge - High Post Count != High Knowledge ;)

ADVICE TO X-10 NEWBIES FROM AN X-10 OLD-TIMER

Charles Sullivan

• Helpful Post Rating: 94
    • HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OSX
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2007, 09:45:54 PM »

Charles,
When did the CM11A come with a USB cable? The one I got with Active Home only had a serial (RS232) cable (9-pin)  Did X10 Europe make a European CM11A that was USB?

Dan,
It's the same old European 220V serial CM11/CM12 but Intellihome now ships a Marmitek USB-Serial adapter with it.  This adapter is customized to have a modular plug for direct connect to the CM11/CM12 instead of a 9-pin connector.  So you don't need to use the supplied RS232 serial cable as you would with a standard USB-Serial adapter.

As I remarked to the OP, some Linux users have had problems with the Prolific PL2303 chipset used in this adapter, but whether it be the particular Linux version or their PC's USB hardware or a combination of the two I can't say.  Hence my concern that the CM11/CM12 was also shipped with a standard RS232 cable so a compatible standard USB-Serial adapter could be used.

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.
X10 on Windows is like that.

HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OS X     http://www.heyu.org

nswint

• Helpful Post Rating: 4
    • Shiksa
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2007, 03:50:02 PM »

For Linux I Have the Following Hardware

CM11A
W800RF (via Serial to USB Adapter)
I would say those are the 2 minimum things that you will need

The W800RF32 receives:

* All 256 house/unit code addresses
    * All regular X10 RF commands (on, off, dim, brighten, etc.)
    * Extended 32 bit RF commands, such as those transmitted by X10's “Entertainment Anywhere” remotes and X10 security modules such as the DS10.

I use Misterhouse for automation and some perl apps that use a special binary for misterhouse where applications can send commands to the CM11A directly.. like A1 on A1 Off.  Misterhouse even allows you to relay the commands received over the W800RF to the CM11A.

Check out my blog for more.  Feel free to email me. Misterhouse is my main automation software, AHP is my backup.

http://shiksa.dyndns.org/~nswint/2005/12/home-automation-101-for-my-automation.html
Pages: 1 [2]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.