Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Issues configuring & using email macro.  (Read 15157 times)

Asgoroth

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Issues configuring & using email macro.
« on: February 13, 2007, 08:46:14 PM »

I have configured AHP, with SmartMacros, OnAlert, iWitness & MyHouse plugins. I had these setup on a Windows XP machine and was able to configure and send email via macros. I decided to use an older notebook computer as my Automation server. It is running Windows 2000 with all updates and patches. I have it's IP configured for the DMZ on my router. I have not been able to get one email to send on this machine. I am not able to set the email transmission method, it defaults back to "Auto" every time I enter the "Email Configuration". The box does have full internet access, there is not a firewall on the box. I have searched these forums, but have not found an answer.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: Issues configuring & using email macro.
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2007, 09:47:31 PM »

Can you send  a regular e-mail through outlook express from this machine? ???
If not Outlook may need to be configured, AHP I believe gets the email connection settings from there! ;)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Asgoroth

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2007, 07:43:48 PM »

Interesting thought. I do not believe the XP box had email (SMTP/IMAP/POP) configured as I use webmail for all but work. I have not used SMTP for years. I just spent a few minutes looking and I do not have an account with SMTP access. So, I guess I am back to the same question.

Does not the "X10 Portal" option specificly to allow email without your own SMTP connection?

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2007, 12:13:43 AM »

What mail client are you using and who is your e-mail provider?

POP3 and SMTP are common e-mail formats POP3 for incoming mail and SMTP for outgoing mail. Some e-mail providers use POP3 for both receiving and sending.

Comcast, for example uses SMTP to send and POP3 to receive.  Check your e-mail client's setting to see what your incoming and outgoing mail settings are.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

Asgoroth

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2007, 09:25:35 AM »

What mail client are you using and who is your e-mail provider?

POP3 and SMTP are common e-mail formats POP3 for incoming mail and SMTP for outgoing mail. Some e-mail providers use POP3 for both receiving and sending.

Comcast, for example uses SMTP to send and POP3 to receive.  Check your e-mail client's setting to see what your incoming and outgoing mail settings are.

As I said, there is no configuration for SMTP/POP3 (Ports 25 and 110), I have checked all 5 running computers on my home network and not one of them has a local email client configured. I have not used SMTP/POP3 in so long that all 5 computers have been re-installed (Imaged) at least once in the mean time.

I will however dig up the configuartion for my providers SMTP and configure Outlook Express on my X10 server.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2007, 04:14:41 PM »

Asgoroth:
Some users myself included, have noticed AHP sends email on occasion SMTP even if configured to use the portal and vise versa!
This may be what is causing your problem on the 2000 machine.
I have reported this bug, ::) Hopefully it will be fixed in the next update! ;)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Asgoroth

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2007, 07:12:30 PM »

OK, just to make sure, I configured and tested Outlook Express. It is working. I have triggered the email macro and still nothing. This software is starting to bother me greatly.

It is a damned good thing my weapon did not work like this while in Iraq.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2007, 07:53:25 PM »

Can you send a e-mail invite for Myhouse?
If this works then possibly your Ahx file has been corrupted in the transfer this can affect any thing from one macro to a whole room. ::)
If the invite goes threw try rebuilding the macro ;)
I'm guessing here but I have done it, so double check your email macro and user e-mail configuration for errors eg: a " , "  instead of a " . "
I'm always having to check my spelling ::) ;)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Asgoroth

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2007, 09:39:52 PM »

I tried sending a "MyHouse Invite" It shows the email as sent, it does not arrive. I have tried two seprate accounts. I can send email from the same machine using Outlook Express. I am convenced that the software is simply NOT sending out email. I could break out a packet sniffer and prove it for sure, buti doubt that is really needed. I really wanted to usethis darn notebook as my server. I guess I will have to use a desktop I have laying about. This software really pisses me off. And as far as I can tell, there are no other options for what I want to do. Sure, I could load up Linux, but my family can not use it and the next time I am deployed they will not be able to use it. Man...

End of rant...

bradleystownsend

• Helpful Post Rating: -2
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2007, 12:41:18 PM »

Cool!  I have EXACTLY the same problem.  Microsoft beta's their product by selling it to the public.  Why not everyone, I guess. 

Here is the weird part.  I have one macro that works, one that doesn't.  I have recreated the one that doesn't several times and commpared them with not luck.

Asgoroth

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2007, 02:47:18 PM »

I have found a work around for this problem. It is a bit drastic.

1) Build new custom cabinet - This will allow me to put (Hide) a Mini-Tower computer (Without head/keyboard/mouse) running Windows XP in the dining room. This will allow me to centralize the CM15 unit in the house. The RF can not reach the full length of the house. This computer also has been tested and will in fact send Emails via SmartMacros.
2) Move newly designated X10/Automation server to newly built cabinet.
3) Install CM15 and video receiver, camo items. (This is a living area.)
4) transfer configuration to new server.
5) Continue with automation scripting.
6) Begin scheming on new ways to abuse home automation.

On the plus side. The cabinet is something the wife has approved of and wants.

Edited to add:
Microsoft may have issues with software. However, they do at least run it through intense testing. As far as I can tell, X10 has run this code on one machine. If it does not crash, it is called good. Gives whole new meaning to "Thats not a bug, it is a feature!"
« Last Edit: February 17, 2007, 02:50:11 PM by Asgoroth »

bradleystownsend

• Helpful Post Rating: -2
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2007, 03:09:43 PM »

And have you tried the email technical support?  How does the joke go.....technically correct and completely useless?

Asgoroth

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2007, 06:22:12 PM »

After looking about this site more, I saw some post about using the "Execute Windows Program (EWP)" macro. I started thinking about a program I used in the day when I ran the FIDO 343:1 FTP node. BLAT is a simple command line SMTP program that takes a few arguments and makes an SMTP connection. I was in business. Downloaded the newest BLAT and very quickly found that "EWP" has a nasty flaw. It appears to hang if the command line has arguments. So much for the quick fix. I was on a blast from the past thought process though and hey, why not use the trusty BATCH file for the job. After a bit of testing, yes "EWP" does work fine calling a program without aurguments. The end fix. I am using a two batch file system. The "EWP" macro calls a small unique batch file. A copy of the first BATCH file is made for each unique EMAIL/MACRO you wish to setup. The only changes made in the first file are the name of the BATCH file itself and the SUBJECT for the email to be sent. The first file sets the subject then does a CALL on the main BATCH file. The main batch file contains most of the configuration options and does all the work. By using two files, it simplifies configuration changes when you have more then one EMAIL/MACRO pair configured. Not the best solution,but it does appear to work well.

********* ALARM-FRONTDOOR.BAT **************

REM ------------------------
REM -  Alarm EMail System  -

REM --- Set Email Subject
set subject="Front Door Alarm"

CALL aes-body.bat

*********        AES-BODY.BAT        **************

REM -  Alarm EMail System  -
REM -                      -
REM -     EMail Engine     -

REM --- Email address :: first@site.com, second@site.net
set email=first@site.com

REM --- Logfile Enable=1 / Disable=0
set logfile_enable=1
set logfile_name=aes-mail.log

REM --- Build Body of EMail (Writes to file "aes-body.txt")
ECHO %date% - %time% -- %subject% >> aes-body.txt

REM --- Update EMail Log
IF %logfile_enable% == 0 GOTO :SENDMAIL
echo %date% - %time% -- %subject% >> %logfile_name%

:SENDMAIL
blat aes-body.txt -to %email% -s %subject%

REM --- Remove "datetime.txt" file
del aes-body.txt

:EOF

« Last Edit: February 18, 2007, 11:48:02 PM by Asgoroth »

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.