Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: x10 Repeaters & Slimline Switches  (Read 3823 times)

tom j

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
x10 Repeaters & Slimline Switches
« on: March 03, 2007, 01:42:27 AM »

Hi guys has anybody noticed that these x10 repeaters don't work at all with the x10 Slimline switches, I mean I had a couple just inches away and when I press on/off dim/bright nothing. It was my understanding that this thing was suppose to support just about all x10 wireless products well they got me again and I guess I just keep letin them. Anyone else notice this?? I know it's just not mine talked a friend well he was my friend into buying that AHP setup with all the software and the repeater and his won't work with my slimline switches either. Is something I'm not doing right or has x10 screwed up again  :-  ???

Tcj

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: x10 Repeaters & Slimline Switches
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2007, 06:26:01 AM »

What repeater? Slimline Switches are like a remote and need a receiver to translate them to powerline signals.
Now do you mean the USB CM15A Interface part of the AHP setup? It has such a receiver in it.
Double check that the Tranceived House Code for the House Code the Slimlines are set to to be Tranceived or the powerline signals will not be sent.
Yes many have reported poor range with the Slimlines and a CM15A. Some have reported a passive antenna has helped.

Charles Sullivan

• Helpful Post Rating: 94
    • HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OSX
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2007, 01:00:18 AM »

What repeater? Slimline Switches are like a remote and need a receiver to translate them to powerline signals.
Now do you mean the USB CM15A Interface part of the AHP setup? It has such a receiver in it.
Double check that the Tranceived House Code for the House Code the Slimlines are set to to be Tranceived or the powerline signals will not be sent.
Yes many have reported poor range with the Slimlines and a CM15A. Some have reported a passive antenna has helped.

I think the OP was referring to the SR731 RF Repeater (and should have said so).

I have to disagree with the OP when he says "... don't work at all with the x10 Slimline switches".  I have an SR731 RF Repeater and it DOES work with Slimline switches.  Well at least it works with about HALF of the Slimline switches I own, which belies his statement.  ;D

Yeah, I think X-10 needs to go back to the drawing board on that little item.

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.
X10 on Windows is like that.

HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OS X     http://www.heyu.org

tom j

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2007, 01:12:57 AM »

I think the OP was referring to the SR731 RF Repeater (and should have said so).

I have to disagree with the OP when he says "... don't work at all with the x10 Slimline switches".  I have an SR731 RF Repeater and it DOES work with Slimline switches.  Well at least it works with about HALF of the Slimline switches I own, which belies his statement.  ;D

Yeah, I think X-10 needs to go back to the drawing board on that little item.

Well I stand corrected yep I meant SR731 RF Repeaters, and I got at least ten of those slimline switches and it wouldn't repeat any of them!!! and I mean some of them where inches away funny it works fine will all my other remotes that's why I don't understand it's supositly the same signal I mean B2 on is B2 no matter what device is transmitting it isn't it   ???

Tom j

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2007, 07:08:01 AM »

tom j; Yes a B2 should be a B2 no matter what sends it. I don't have the repeater in question so I can't help much.
I hope others with it can help you.

Charles Sullivan

• Helpful Post Rating: 94
    • HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OSX
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2007, 12:34:59 PM »

Well I stand corrected yep I meant SR731 RF Repeaters, and I got at least ten of those slimline switches and it wouldn't repeat any of them!!! and I mean some of them where inches away funny it works fine will all my other remotes that's why I don't understand it's supositly the same signal I mean B2 on is B2 no matter what device is transmitting it isn't it   ???

Whether or not the RF signal is recognized as a B2 by any receiver will depend on the transmitter's carrier frequency and pulse timing being within the range of what the receiver expects.  If the receiver has a narrow bandwidth and the transmitter's carrier frequency is sufficiently different, or if the pulse timing is sufficiently different than the receiver is looking for, then the B2 signal may well be ignored or rejected as noise.

It's also possible that X-10 took some shortcuts with the actual pulse train transmitted by some versions of the Slimline switches but neglected to verify that the shortcut worked with the SR731. 

One would have to check both good and bad receiver/transmitter combinations using RF measuring equipment to really understand what's going on.

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.
X10 on Windows is like that.

HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OS X     http://www.heyu.org

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.