Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Upper Limit on Door/Window Sensors?  (Read 19765 times)

RebHawk

• Helpful Post Rating: 6
Upper Limit on Door/Window Sensors?
« on: February 15, 2008, 02:49:29 AM »

Hi all:

What (if any) is the upper limit on the number of DS10A door/window sensors that I can install in AHP/OnAlert?  I have 8 doors that will have sensors, and would like to deploy up to about 8 hacked FirstAlert smoke detectors.  I might also want to use door/window sensors for some other "alerts".  Is the limit 16?  Or some other number?  I won't be using the ProtectorPlus system, just AHP...

Regards,
--Lee

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
Re: Upper Limit on Door/Window Sensors?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2008, 08:52:20 AM »

Each Security Sensor uses a single X10 HC/UC to be stored under in AHP/OnAlert, so the limit should be 256.

I have 19 registered in my system now, so there is no limit of 16 zones like the DS7000 has.

RebHawk

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2008, 09:20:08 AM »

Ok... so how well does OnAlert work to prevent "walking on" other modules that are already installed?  I see no way to actually see what HC/UC a particular DS10A is using...  and in fact I thought they used some other system than HC/UC entirely, which is why they're not displayed...  even in a greyed out, unchangable format.  Even worse, let's say I have my door sensors installed, then want to add a lamp module.  How do I insure I don't by accident set the lamp module by hand to a HC/UC already taken automagically by a security sensor?  Or do the security sensors use a separate 8 bit address space?

Regards,
--Lee

Puck

• Advanced Member
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2008, 10:13:53 AM »

AHP/OnAlert assigns each new security device to the next available (empty) HC/UC; and I do beleive it starts with the HC that is set to Monitored.

If you click on "Find Other Computers" you will see what modules are assigned to each HC/UC. To clear away the yellow & red ones, do a "Clear History" and you should be left with just green indicators of actual modules you have assigned.

Somewhere in this OnAlert section, KDR has posted a work around for manually changing the HC/UC assigned to security devices.

RebHawk

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2008, 10:27:21 AM »

Yes, you're correct, and I already have found a problem... My "Den Door" sensor got assigned code H14... but I've got a motion sensor in one of the hallways that is on code H13, which means the Den Door sensor is walking over the code for the motion sensor's dusk/dawn signal... arrrrgh...

--Lee

RebHawk

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2008, 11:44:00 AM »

One way to solve this motion sensor conflict would be to add a dummy module at the address of the motion sensor dusk/dawn signal address.  This module would be solely for the purpose of occupying that HC/UC so that OA wouldn't assign a security module to it.  I can then change the monitored HC to the HC for the room group I'm installing a sensor in, to force the sensor to be installed in that room.  I've broken my system down by assigning different HCs to different rooms or groups of rooms.  This makes it much easier to use the credit card remotes and stick-on switches, since, for instance, all the lamps in a given room are on the same HC. 

Cheers,
--Lee

Puck

• Advanced Member
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2008, 12:33:59 PM »

One way to solve this motion sensor conflict would be to add a dummy module at the address of the motion sensor dusk/dawn signal address.  This module would be solely for the purpose of occupying that HC/UC ...

That signal causes grief for a lot of people who are not familiar with it.

Your suggestion of the dummy module to occupy that address is one that can help remind people of its existence.

Definitely a helpful statement.

RebHawk

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2008, 01:18:23 PM »

Thanks, Puck.  I'm slowly getting this stuff figured out... :D

Cheers,
--Lee

JMac

• Helpful Post Rating: 23
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2008, 01:41:17 PM »

The following is a way to assign specific House and Unit codes to a MS10A or DS10A module:

First determine House & Unit Code desired by examining “Tools” and
“Find other Computers”

Right click on the module to edit
Left click “Edit Module”
Change “Name of New Module”

Left click on “down” arrow of module window,
Click just to left of “House Code”, which will display
“House Code” and Unit Code” 
Change as desired.

Click on “down” arrow of module window and use the other “down” arrow to make sure proper icon and module name displayed.
Click “OK”

Recheck “Tools” and “Find other Computers” to see if  House & Unit Code are correct.

THEN,  Install module.

It's not easy to do, but this way you could have them located where you want them...............

RebHawk

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2008, 11:30:26 PM »

Thanks, JMac, that method works like a charm!  Gets a helpful.

Cheers,
--Lee

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.