Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: All Off / All On by Remote??  (Read 4623 times)

kevinvinv

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
All Off / All On by Remote??
« on: March 05, 2007, 01:09:14 PM »

I want to stick some sort of switch  (ideally the Big Red Button) near my garage door so when I leave I can do a quick  All Off command to shut off all the lights.

The only remotes I've found so far that do this are the entertainment remotes.

Any other ideas on how to get a All Off command without having to mount a mini-controller on the wall or without having to resort to AH which didn't work well last time I tried?

Thx.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: All Off / All On by Remote??
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2007, 05:01:10 PM »

Well X10 did an OEM for Black and Decker called Freewire. They have discontinued the line now but dealers still have them.
They made an Indoor Remote Control FWIR and a Messenger Hub FWMH. The remote has a wheel on it that can do all 16 units of a house code and also have three sets of added buttons. Two are scenes where you can add 4 units and the third is an All Lights On and All Units Off set. The House code is set on the Messenger Hub and the remote is registered to the Hub like a Security Console and a Sensor. The Remote and Hub work on a different RF frequency so a standard X10 receiver will not see the remote, but once processed by the Hub standard X10 signals are sent over the Powerline.
They also made a neat water resistant outdoor module FWLROD that programs like a Socket Rocket. Power it up and send the same X10 signal three times in 30 seconds and it is on the new address. They called it a Lamp Type Module but it clunks like an Appliance Module and the rating label reads like a Appliance Module and I believe it responds to an All Lights on but that is from vague memory.  ::)

TakeTheActive

• Helpful Post Rating: 126
  • Old !@#$% Tinkerer!
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2007, 05:02:07 PM »

I want to stick some sort of switch  (ideally the Big Red Button) near my garage door so when I leave I can do a quick  All Off command to shut off all the lights...

...Any other ideas on how to get a All Off command without having to mount a mini-controller on the wall or without having to resort to AH which didn't work well last time I tried?

I was going to suggest a Keychain Remote (2 device or 4) and a macro in either AH or AHP until I read your last line.

Please describe WHAT you did 'last time' that 'didn't work well' and what exactly were the results...
Low Post Count != Low Knowledge - High Post Count != High Knowledge ;)

ADVICE TO X-10 NEWBIES FROM AN X-10 OLD-TIMER

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2007, 06:03:10 PM »

I want to stick some sort of switch  (ideally the Big Red Button) near my garage door so when I leave I can do a quick  All Off command to shut off all the lights.

The only remotes I've found so far that do this are the entertainment remotes.

I keep one of those entertainment remotes (RU73A) in a drawer in the kitchen for just such tasks. But recently installed AHP, and now thinking of adding a timed event ALL OFF in AHP. I had also tried the AH, and wasn't impressed. Upgrading to AHP made me a beleiver. I had a phase problem... and had to resolve that with a phase coupler to make everything work together correctly. But it was worth it!
Home Automation is an always changing technology

kevinvinv

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2007, 09:41:51 AM »

Wow- thx for all the info.

You asked about my experience with AHP... As I recall... the tranceiver simply didn't work well... like it had no range...much worse than the tm751...   I dont recall if there were other problems anymore... just that I was dissapointed enough to nix the whole idea...  I suppose I could try again but sometimes I think simpler is better...

thoughts?

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2007, 06:17:14 PM »

You asked about my experience with AHP... As I recall... the tranceiver simply didn't work well... like it had no range....  I suppose I could try again but sometimes I think simpler is better...

thoughts?

The (CM15A) range problem has been an issue for many of us. There is a thread devoted to increasing the range of the CM15A (AHP). I even posted my own antenna modification.

But I am not an AHP expert by any means.... many more here with better AHP info than me. But.... I DO LIKE IT!
Home Automation is an always changing technology

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.