Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Error Installing AHP (X10nets) Under Windows XP  (Read 32513 times)

pbanda

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Error Installing AHP (X10nets) Under Windows XP
« on: March 06, 2007, 05:14:23 PM »

I have tried installing the latest verion of Active Home on 2 seperate Windows XP Pro machines with virus and firewall disabled.  All 3 get the same erros about X10Nets not being able to start.  Is there something special I need to do on a Windows XP Pro machine?  I have seen other people post the same problem... but NO ONE has ever posted the resolution!!!

The last time I intalled it I got to start Active Home and it then asked me to install the update which I then did... then it stopped working.  The only way I can get back to this point is to Reinstall the OS.  I have reinstalled the OS at least 5 or 6 times and I am tired of it. 

PLEASE HELP!!!   

Thanks,
pbanda

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: Error Installing AHP (X10nets) Under Windows XP
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2007, 06:53:17 PM »

Active Home for the older Serial CM11A or the Active Home Pro for the USB CM15A Interface?
Active Home and XP seem to be a problem sometimes. Some have said SP2 made it worse.

pbanda

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2007, 06:45:57 PM »

Windows XP Pro SP 2 and the USB CM15A

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2007, 07:39:36 PM »

AHP and the CM15a work fine under WindowsXP Home, so there is no reason that XP Professional would have any great problems.

X10Nets.exe starts when Windows loads, not when AHP is opened.  If X10Nets doesn't load when Windows loads, AHP will not show the status of the modules that report their status.

X10Nets.exe resides in the C:\Program Files\Common Files\X10\Common along with X10Nets.dll and several other files, among them ahcmd.exe, which ans be used in the Command Prompt to send various commands.

I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2007, 07:40:33 PM »

OK then you are trying to install Active Home Pro on an XP Pro System with SP2; and have the email with the registration code for AHP.
The older Active Home for the CM11A will not work with the new USB CM15A. Only AHP works with the CM15A.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2007, 07:44:43 PM »

Couple of things to try:
 First you don't need to format and reinstall your OS
AHP files are found  here C:Program FilesActiveHome Pro and here C:ProgramFilesCommon FilesX10 just delete the folders after you disable X10nets.

[li]have you tried an install from safe mode?[/li]
    [li]have you tried with minimal system files running (msconfig to shut them down)[/li]
    [li] install the software before you plugin the CM15A[/li]

[/b][/list]
    There was an issue with some ATI video cards Although I can't remember the fix, a search should turn it up! ;)
    AHP runs fine on XP Pro! ;) :D
    Please Read Topic:
    General Forum Etiquette
    Before you post!

Walt2

• Advanced Member
    • Helpful Post Rating: 28
    « Reply #6 on: March 08, 2007, 08:15:42 AM »

AHP runs fine on XP Pro! ;) :D

I can confirm that.  I have XP Pro with SP2, and have no problems with AHP.

However, if you are, one the best things to do, is to re-boot XP in "safe mode", and install the problematic software while in "safe mode".   Re-boot once again, once the installation is complete, back into regular mode.  That always works for me.
    * Sears Home Control System, Radio Shack Plug 'n Power, NuTone, Stanley LightMaker, BSR, HomeLink.
    * Tecmar Device Master, CP290 (LightHouse), CM11A (AH), CM14A (AH2), CM15A (AHPro).

pbanda

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2007, 05:03:23 PM »

I uninstalled it on my Windows XP Pro SP 2 machine... made sure Common Files\x10 was deleted... rebooted, then shutdown, rebooted in safe-mode, re-installed and I get the same message. 

I just installed it on a Windows 2000 Pro machine and it was successful.  I am able to download to the controller and everything works.  This is a temporary solution until I can get it to work on XP. 

Any ideas??

MichaelC

• Helpful Post Rating: 36
    « Reply #8 on: March 08, 2007, 06:24:33 PM »

Are you logged in with administrator privileges? Can you try running from the command prompt (Strart | Run | enter "cmd" then run) and going to C:\Program Files\Common Files\X10\Common\ and see if X10net.dll is there? (from the command prompt enter "cd c:\program files\common files\x10\common" and hit Enter and then type "dir" and hit enter.)

If it is there, try the following from the command prompt:
    net stop x10nets
    regsvr32 -u x10net.dll
    regsvr32 x10net.dll
    net start x10nets

Wait for each one to complete before entering the next one. The first one will probably tell you the x10 service is not started, but that's OK.

pbanda

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2007, 10:58:25 AM »

Yes I am logged on as admin.  I stopped the service and got the error that it wasn't started, unregistered it and registered it and tried restarting the service and it still didn't work.

Any more idea? 

thanks for your continued help!!

pbanda

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2007, 08:42:44 AM »

Does anyone have any other ideas?

jim g

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2008, 08:20:58 PM »

I have just bought AHP and the software opened a couple of times, however I now get the "ERROR Getting X10Net Interface" message. I have tried everything including  re-installing the software and still can't get the software to start up. From reading this knowledge base, this seems to be going on for a few years. I would have thought that X10 Corp. would have solved this problem eons ago. I am at the point of returning the product for a refund.

Any comment??

pbanda

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2008, 01:01:34 PM »

Anyone ever figure out how to get around this?  I never did.... I have to use an old pc that runs windows 2000 to run active home.

PajamaGuy

• Helpful Post Rating: 32
    « Reply #13 on: November 04, 2008, 08:22:27 AM »

...$0.02

I haven't seen that specific issue, but I've seen others that have caused me to re-install.  Since you've already done it 5 or 6 times, here's what I did.

I use a Dell 610 laptop to run AHP (with all plugins) for my cameras.  (I can't get VA11A to work with my Vista desktop)

1. Reformat
    2. Load XP PRO
    3. Load NOTHING ELSE until XP has repeatedly updated itself to SP3 and when manually running UPDATE, nothing shows up.  (all updates & patches are applied, including IE7) - This took at least overnight, and I was connected to Internet from the start.
    4. Do NOT use OneCare or Defender
    5. I loaded Symantec Antivirus
    6. Then I loaded AHP and all the modules - I didn't plug in the VA11A or the CM15A until it instructed me to do so.  I did NOT enter any registration codes, nor use AHP in any way until all plug-ins were loaded.  THEN I entered all 5 registrations codes at once and let her rip.
    7. Then I rebooted.
    Run TASKMGR and see if X10NETS is loaded.
    I don't know why, but sometimes I have to reload iWitness to reset the VA11A.  Running the X10Drivers.exe doesn't cut it.
    IF you load any other software, keep track of when X10NETS throws the error, then uninstall whatever you just loaded & see what happens.

PajamaGuy
    Win-7 - Dell XPS -Automation
    VA12a on a dedicated desktop - Video
    XTB-IIR & V572RF32

Remote via LogMeIn (FREE) and Ignition

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
    © Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.