Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Active Home Pro is awful!  (Read 13160 times)

gcrafty

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Active Home Pro is awful!
« on: March 17, 2007, 12:25:53 PM »

I only gave up my serial interface (CP290) because anything faster than a 386 couldn't talk to it. So a USB interface seemed the way to go.

Oh how I long for that simple character interface. You could go to a module, tell it when to turn on, how bright, as whether it should be regular or security, and then it would ask when to turn off. Simple, straightforward, and quick. It took hours to set up the CM15A, and it has less function than the simple controller.

Anyone know of a simple control program for the CM15A? I don't need anyting as robust as MisterHouse, but I am thinking of trying it if it would operate with the CM15A.

I paid good money for this stuff (I have to use 2 controllers in my house) and I am grossly disappointed!

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
Re: Active Home Pro is awful!
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2007, 02:55:10 PM »

Firstly, What O/S does your computer have?

Secondly, I presume you have both the CM15A and Active Home Professional (AHP), so exactly what is your problem?

Active Home Pro is not awful. It depends on how you are going to use it.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

gcrafty

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2007, 03:04:07 PM »

I say it is awful (and stand by that opinion) because the user interface must have been designed by someone used to overcomplicating everythng. An engineer's interface, not a citizen's interface. Did they ever validate the design with an actual user? I doubt it.

I believe a table-like interface with columns for Number, Name, On Time, Security/Regular, Brightness, Off Time, Security/Regular is all you need. If I had a 45-room mansion, maybe I would need room organizers and macros, but with a dozen controllers, all I need is the basics. Or an optional program that gives me the basics, not the fluff.

It is awful because it is unusable, or barely so.

Oh, yeah, XP Pro, AHP, and CM15A.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2007, 03:05:41 PM by gcrafty »

Dan Lawrence

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2007, 04:04:35 PM »

If that's your attitude, then contact X10 support and ask for a return authorization. You want help, just give us what the problems are, not "it's awful".

There is nothing wrong with the CM15A interface, it does what the CM11A did and the CM290 before that.  It controls modules and macros.  Active Home Professional is basically the same as Active Home, with a few additional features.  I don't use any of the add-ons, as I don't need them.

When I upgraded to AHP and the CM15A, all my files from Active Home imported into AHP with no problems. Imported, converted and downloaded to the CM15A.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2007, 05:17:58 PM »

1  I only gave up my serial interface (CP290) because anything faster than a 386 couldn't talk to it. So a USB interface seemed the way to go.

2   Oh how I long for that simple character interface. .......... It took hours to set up the CM15A, and it has less function than the simple controller.

Anyone know of a simple control program for the CM15A?

3    I don't need anyting as robust as MisterHouse, but I am thinking of trying it if it would operate with the CM15A.

1  Did you try the CM11?

2  Have you tried... or used... the "smart marcos" software. I thought it made macro creation pretty easy.

3  I have never tried MisterHouse.... and it wouldn't be my 1st choice, for user friendly, I had thought I had also read it only works with the CM11.

I am still kinda new to AHP.... but I like it an AWFUL LOT.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2007, 09:47:17 AM »

gcrafty:
  I think your making AHP more complicated then it is! ;) :D
You don't need to use different rooms everything can be in one! True there are lots of bells and whistles which can be added but you don't need them. Take Dans setup he has no plug-ins and his system runs flawlessly.
If you really want another program to run your CM15A on then try HomeDomination I can't seem to get it to run on my system but others have no problems!
You can play with MisterHouse as well but unless you have an understanding of Perl this may be too much!
There are other programs out there links to which have been posted in different threads in the forums a search may turn them up!
Also you will probably find that all the programs you look at will over complicate things as many people want added options!
If you have a little programing knowledge you could build your own program using the SDK and keep it as simple as you like! ;) :D
« Last Edit: March 19, 2007, 09:55:01 AM by Tuicemen »
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Dan Lawrence

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2007, 05:58:51 PM »

My setup has 10 rooms counting Macros, which AHP establishes itself. Some rooms, like Living Room, Master Bedroom, Bathroom and Breakfast Room have two or more modules. Upstairs, Downstairs have 3 or more, each covers an entire floor.  Outside covers any outside lights that are X10 controlled. The Living Room is the biggie, with 11 modules (two control outside lights) at regular times and 6 more at Christmas.  The Kitchen has one module only that controls it's overhead light, that's the only single module in the system, right now. There is a fluorescent light over the kitchen sink that will get an X10 Pro fluorescent light control module eventually.

TakeTheActive

• Helpful Post Rating: 126
  • Old !@#$% Tinkerer!
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2007, 07:42:46 PM »

I only gave up my serial interface (CP290) because anything faster than a 386 couldn't talk to it. So a USB interface seemed the way to go...

...It took hours to set up the CM15A, and it has less function than the simple controller.

Anyone know of a simple control program for the CM15A?

...I paid good money for this stuff (I have to use 2 controllers in my house) and I am grossly disappointed!

For $10 (plus shipping if you can't come up with another $40 worth of 'toys'), what have you got to lose? Any OLD PC with a Serial Port can run it just fine (I use an old P266 laptop with Win98SE; before that, it was a P120 laptop with WFWG 3.11!! 8) Pick up one (old laptop that is) on eBay for cheap and DEDICATE it to HA. Low power consumption, BUILT-IN UPS, can't beat it! :D ).
Low Post Count != Low Knowledge - High Post Count != High Knowledge ;)

ADVICE TO X-10 NEWBIES FROM AN X-10 OLD-TIMER

jelester

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2007, 09:41:31 AM »

I have had x10 stuff for years and I must say I love it.  The only major problem I have had is that some how my active home files got corruptied and I had to reinstall
active home.  I tried all the fixes like unplugging the interface and removieing batteries, purging the interface, the whole biit but the only thing that cured it was reinstalling it .  I have many rooms and ten cameras and they all work great.  The only complaint is the camera antenna needs to be omni directional.  When I am turning the camera that antenna has to be pointed just right or I lose the signal.  All in all I love x10. I hope they just keep giving me more bells and whistles.
Jerry
« Last Edit: March 28, 2007, 09:43:36 AM by jelester »

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.