Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: macros acting slowly  (Read 7368 times)

donutlou

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
macros acting slowly
« on: March 20, 2007, 12:49:00 AM »

for some reason my macros have been responding very slowly, i checked my memory and i am not even close to being full. when i click on the macro itself to test it, it flashes very sloooowly.  should i erase the cm15 and redownload the macros again? anyone else run into this problem?

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: macros acting slowly
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2007, 09:30:25 AM »

If your seeing a slow responce in the AHP program then chances are it is the PC!
Do a Full Scandisk then a Defrag  of the drive in which AHP is installed on, in that order!
You'll be surprised how much you PC improves! ;) :D ;D
You should be doing a regular scandisk and defrag anyways but most people tend to over look this simple maintenance! ;) :D
Once you have done this and if you still find macros slow, Clear your interface and purge delayed macros then reload the interface! ;) :D ;D
Make sure your purge delayed macros even if you think you have none. For some reason clearing the interface doesn't do this! ::) ;)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

donutlou

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2007, 02:36:34 PM »

ok, im not sure what a scandisk is but i did do a disk cleanup and defrag then i cleared the interface and purged macros and it still is running slowly.
any other ideas???

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2007, 04:04:31 PM »

I presume you are running Windows XP, then Scandisk and Defrag are located in the Accesories/System Tools on your Start Menu.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2007, 10:31:45 PM »

Are all macros running slowly?
Or just certain ones?
Which OS are you runningIif Xp then ScanDisk is where Dan stated think it is called Error-Checking.To do a full scandisk  make sure "automatically fix file system errors" and "scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors" are checked, the PC must be rebooted ;) :D
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

donutlou

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2007, 06:27:50 PM »

i am running xp home
all the macros are very lethargic, and there is no scandisk under system tools. do you think its under a different sub catagory?
thanks again.
i did and regularly do do a disk defrag, that didnt change anything.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2007, 11:07:00 PM »

Click on your "My Computer" icon then right click on Your "C:" drive then go down to "Properties"   then "Tools", "Error-Checking"(scandisk) is the top option above "Defrag"  click "Check now" then check both options that appear then click start It should tell you it can't do it now and ask if you want to schedule it on a reboot (or something like that) click yes then reboot!
Warning: it will take a while to run so don't plan on getting back  into windows for a while! ;)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

donutlou

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2007, 10:51:06 AM »

ok, i did that, it didnt help with the slow macros but im sure it was good for my computer. thanks again

Walt2

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 28
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2007, 11:30:23 AM »

ok, i did that, it didnt help with the slow macros but im sure it was good for my computer. thanks again

Yea, I really doubted it would help.  Basically, it would mean that AHP had to read a file off the harddisk drive, every time it tired to process a macro.  I don't think that is true.  At least from my experience, AHP doesn't need to read files all that often once started.

Also, except for possibly boot-up, defragging a drive doesn't have the significant effect it use to have, many years ago.  Today's drives have built-in cache, and that basically eliminates any seek delays in accessing frequently used files (which would be a file that AHP needed to access with each macro).
* Sears Home Control System, Radio Shack Plug 'n Power, NuTone, Stanley LightMaker, BSR, HomeLink.
* Tecmar Device Master, CP290 (LightHouse), CM11A (AH), CM14A (AH2), CM15A (AHPro).

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2007, 12:00:38 PM »

Yea, I really doubted it would help.  Basically, it would mean that AHP had to read a file off the harddisk drive, every time it tired to process a macro.  I don't think that is true.  At least from my experience, AHP doesn't need to read files all that often once started.
True AHP doesn't need to read a file everytime but it does need a clean file to upload to the CM15A
Also, except for possibly boot-up, defragging a drive doesn't have the significant effect it use to have, many years ago.  Today's drives have built-in cache, and that basically eliminates any seek delays in accessing frequently used files (which would be a file that AHP needed to access with each macro).
To suggest that a defragging a hard drive isn't as significant as years prior is flawed!
Todays drives although they have cache to speed them up there size is much more thus making defragmentation worse! Speed isn't the only reason to do a defrag I've seen many PCs fail because this simple procedure isn't performed. If left to long the only way to repair is to format. Probably why if you take in your PC to be repaired thats the first thing the repair shop wants to do! ::)

donutlou
Since now you have a well performing PC(you've done the scandisk and defrag in that order) it is time to look at the possibility that your AHX file is flawed (corrupt)!
Try recreating a new AHX file but keep it simple as we only want it for testing right now!
Add a few modules and a couple of macros, clear the interface and purge delayed macros,  upload the new AHX file and test them for speed!
If speed is the same it isn't the AHX file, post your sample macro!
If the speed is much better then you'll need to look more closely at your macros in your original AHX file.(you may even need to rebuild your whole AHX file) :(
I've seen corrupt AHX files do some strange things so slow macro performance wouldn't surprise me!
Once you have your macros working well back up your AHX file many things can corrupt it and a back up will save many hours of rebuilding it! ;) :D ;D

Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Walt2

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 28
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2007, 09:16:19 AM »

To suggest that a defragging a hard drive isn't as significant as years prior is flawed!
Todays drives although they have cache to speed them up there size is much more thus making defragmentation worse! Speed isn't the only reason to do a defrag I've seen many PCs fail because this simple procedure isn't performed. If left to long the only way to repair is to format. Probably why if you take in your PC to be repaired thats the first thing the repair shop wants to do! ::)

Wow, "urban legion" lives.    ::)

Unfortunately, none of that is based on any real facts.    Not defragging, by itself, will never, ever, cause a PC to fail.  If a repair person thinks that is true, they are totally incompetent.
* Sears Home Control System, Radio Shack Plug 'n Power, NuTone, Stanley LightMaker, BSR, HomeLink.
* Tecmar Device Master, CP290 (LightHouse), CM11A (AH), CM14A (AH2), CM15A (AHPro).

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2007, 11:04:10 AM »

Unfortunately, none of that is based on any real facts.  Not defragging, by itself, will never, ever, cause a PC to fail. 
Total failure maybe not! But it defiantly will reduce the life of the harddrive.
The most common problems caused by file fragmentation are: As reported here in detail
    [/url]
    [li]Crashes and system hangs/freezes

[/li]
    [li]Slow boot up and computers that won't boot up

[/li]
    [li]Slow back up times and aborted backup

[/li]
    [li]File corruption and data loss

[/li]
    [li]Errors in programs

[/li]
    [li]RAM use and cache problems

[/li]
    [li]Hard drive failures
    [/li]
    [/b]
    What facts are you looking for? ??? ::)
    If a repair person thinks that is true, they are totally incompetent.
    last time I took anything to a shop they couldn't open a zipped file! :D ;D
    Most people I talk to say when they take their PC in the first thing they get asked is "Can we format?" :o
    Disk defragmenting isn't a cure all nor is Formating! ;)
    I'm only stating what I've seen and experienced. For the person that rarely uses the PC Defragmenting probably isn't an issue.
    But if one has kids or is a frequent user adding deleting information then it is an issue. Not performing this at least once every couple of months is playing Russian roulette :(
    I hope they have everything backed up! ;)
    Please Read Topic:
    General Forum Etiquette
    Before you post!

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
    © Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.