Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Two occupancy sensors in tandem  (Read 2534 times)

jwelin

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Two occupancy sensors in tandem
« on: May 15, 2007, 03:19:37 PM »

Here is the set up for which I need advice.

For a museum display a set of lights are controlled by a transceiver module. The purpose is to have the lights turn on when  people approach the display from either of two dierctions, i.e. from the north or south. Two occupancy sensors are set to the same house code and unit code, and placed on the diplay aiming north and south. THe lights turn on properly. But the sensors turn the lights off when I do not want them to. For instance, when a person approaches from the south then moves to the north, the south sensor will turn off the lights while the viewer may be still at the north side. A longer off delay for the sensors reduce, but do not eliminate, this problem. A macro would solve the problem but I can not devote a computer to this display. Also, the room is configured in such a way where a siingle sensor will not cover the north and south approaches.

I am hoping someone has a clever idea. I have a bad idea:

I used transceiver module and an appliance module set to different unit codes with corresponding motion sensors. I wired two plugs to the bank of lights (think of it as a Y-extension cord) and plugged one into the transceiver and one into the appliance module.This made the lights behave properly but with the unintended effect of applying voltage to the load side of the modules. This is not a safe condition and I abandoned it, even though the modules seemed to handle this misuse. For those interested, the modules clicked three times when the "reversed voltage" was applied. To repeat: not a safe setup.

But I am wondering if there is a method of wiring or electrical component to fix this setup. I suppose it is not an X10 solution. A set of line voltage relays comes to mind but this does not seem liekthe most elegant solution.

I incountered the same situation when I used x10 module to control a whole house fan. I wanted an attic ventilator which was controlled by a OEM thermostat relay to turn on whenever the whole house fan turned on. Using the same technique above send voltage to the load side of the module and thermostat relay, so I disassembled it.

Any suggestions?

jwelin

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
Re: Two occupancy sensors in tandem
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2007, 04:27:20 PM »

...I am hoping someone has a clever idea. I have a bad idea:...
...I wired two plugs to the bank of lights (think of it as a Y-extension cord) and plugged one into the transceiver and one into the appliance module.This made the lights behave properly but with the unintended effect of applying voltage to the load side of the modules....
...But I am wondering if there is a method of wiring or electrical component to fix this setup....
Relays!
Your appliance modules could both control relays to trigger a relay for the bank of lights.
An even better way would be to use two Universal Modules (PUM01) instead of the appliance modules. Universal Modules will close a low voltage contact when they receive a X10 signal. Low voltage wiring could then be used to switch a relay for the lights.
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2007, 07:30:51 PM »

Here is the set up for which I need advice.

For a museum display a set of lights are controlled by a transceiver module. The purpose is to have the lights turn on when  people approach the display from either of two dierctions, i.e. from the north or south. Two occupancy sensors are set to the same house code and unit code, and placed on the diplay aiming north and south. THe lights turn on properly. But the sensors turn the lights off when I do not want them to. For instance, when a person approaches from the south then moves to the north, the south sensor will turn off the lights while the viewer may be still at the north side. A longer off delay for the sensors reduce, but do not eliminate, this problem. A macro would solve the problem but I can not devote a computer to this display. Also, the room is configured in such a way where a siingle sensor will not cover the north and south approaches.

Replace the transceiver with the AHP interface. The CM15A does require a computer to program it with the macro, but it can then be moved to the same location where you now have the transceiver. As long as the CM15A has power (it has batteries for back-up power) it will retain the macro.

Or.... you could mount a single wide angle motion sensor.... on the ceiling.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2007, 07:33:29 PM by Dave_x10_L »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

gil shultz

• Helpful Post Rating: 4
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2007, 01:36:07 AM »

Tandem Occupancy sensor

What you are experiencing is exactly what should happen. For example lets us assume that the sensors have an on time of 1 minute. Somebody triggers sensor 1 then 50 seconds later somebody trips the second sensor.  The light will go out 10 seconds after the last person.  The reason is each sensor sends an on signal then after sixty seconds (user adjustable) sends it’s off signal irrespective of the other sensor hence the 10 seconds on time.  The second sensor will also send it’s off signal fifty seconds later but since the light is off you will not see any effect.

I know of a relative simple solution, Relays.  A more complex one would be to modify the modules but unless you are experienced in the art that is very difficult.

Purchase two relays with an 115VAC coil, a box to mount the relays in and two appliance modules. You can use wall warts and lower voltage relays if you like, the concept is the same.  The reason for the appliance modules is that they have a simple contact arrangement instead of a triac output.  The triac trigger circuit typically draws current through the connected load.  With low current devices this is enough for example to keep a relative sensitive relay closed after it is tripped.  The relay will turn on but not turn off.  It is assumed that the two appliance modules are set to different codes else the problem will remain.

Connect the relay coils one each to an appliance module.  Then connect the NO (normally Open) contacts in parallel (if there is a NC ignore it). Then connect the paralleled contacts in series with your load and you are all set.  The NO relay contacts form a wired “OR” where either or both are on the load will be on.

If you use wall warts remember the coil matches the wall wart voltage but the contacts must be rated at either 115 VAC or 220 VAC depending on the country of use.

The nice thing about this configuration there is no limit to the number of sensors that can be incorporated.

Good Luck
Gil Shultz

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.