Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: AHP seems to require "cleansing" every couple of days  (Read 8177 times)

scootertrs

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
AHP seems to require "cleansing" every couple of days
« on: February 17, 2007, 07:28:10 AM »

I have seven different modules controlled by my AHP unit turning on and off at diferent times trhroughout the day or night.  A couple of the units that run my landscape lights (XPS3-IW) reguarily fail to go off at scheduled times.  Even if I use an RF controller, they still will not shut off.  Now, if I were to unplug my AHP unit from the wall, remove the batteries and wait a few seconds, then plug it back in, then the RF remote will turn units on and off without problem.  Seems the AHP is generating a code that interferes with proper operation.  What other options are there that are more reliable that allow for total house control?  Thanks

Jimminicrickettt

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Re: AHP seems to require "cleansing" every couple of days
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2007, 02:09:38 AM »

Do not keep batteries in the cm15 unless you plan on moving it from room to room.  It does not like to be powered by batteries when it's plugged into ac power.

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2007, 09:54:23 AM »

Do not keep batteries in the cm15 unless you plan on moving it from room to room.  It does not like to be powered by batteries when it's plugged into ac power.

A diode in the batteries path turns off the battery's circuit when the CM15A is plugged in. So when the CM15A is plugged in, there is no electrical difference with or without batteries.

That being said, when the batteries are good, they will always hold an input to the micro-controller at ground. If they are weak or not there, this input will be pulled up to +5Volts. If you are having problems when the battery is present, then you could have a bad micro-controller.

Now, if I were to unplug my AHP unit from the wall, remove the batteries and wait a few seconds, then plug it back in, then the RF remote will turn units on and off without problem.  Seems the AHP is generating a code that interferes with proper operation.

One Possibility
Because of the design of the CM15A's RF receiver, a high level of ambient noise in the correct frequency range can flood the receiver and cause it to have difficulty recognizing the correct signals (from remotes, etc.). When you unplug & remove the batteries, you are resetting the CM15A's accumulated ambient RF noise level to zero and that allows the the remotes to be recognized clearly & immediately.

Everytime the CM15A receives an RF signal from a remote or motion sensor, it increases it's ambient noise level. During quiet times (no signals) this accumulated ambient level starts to lower. If there is a lot of heavy X10 RF signal traffic or some external signal beyond your control, this ambient noise level will not lower and could increase to the point of saturation... where it can no long see the stronger wanted signal (the X10 signal).

Trying different locations of the CM15A and/or the orientation of it's antenna may help to reduce the level of unwanted RF noise that it picks up.

[Side Note: This is why, when modifying the CM15A's antenna, the correct length is important. The correct length will prevent a lot of external uncontrollable RF noise from entering the CM15A's receiver. And of course, it's maximum efficency will be at the X10 signal's frequency.]

TakeTheActive

• Helpful Post Rating: 126
  • Old !@#$% Tinkerer!
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2007, 12:03:51 PM »

...Because of the design of the CM15A's RF receiver, a high level of ambient noise in the correct frequency range can flood the receiver and cause it to have difficulty recognizing the correct signals (from remotes, etc.). When you unplug & remove the batteries, you are resetting the CM15A's accumulated ambient RF noise level to zero and that allows the the remotes to be recognized clearly & immediately.

Everytime the CM15A receives an RF signal from a remote or motion sensor, it increases it's ambient noise level. During quiet times (no signals) this accumulated ambient level starts to lower. If there is a lot of heavy X10 RF signal traffic or some external signal beyond your control, this ambient noise level will not lower and could increase to the point of saturation... where it can no long see the stronger wanted signal (the X10 signal)...

That is a very interesting tidbit of information (and folks keep complaining that X10 is junk ::) ). Look at all the features that got packed into this one unit. If only they had invested the additional time to DEBUG it and USER TEST it.  :(  Anyhow, where did you pick up this tidbit? Is this action what is generally referred to as AGC (Automatic Gain Control) in other manufacturer's literature?

Thanks! :)
Low Post Count != Low Knowledge - High Post Count != High Knowledge ;)

ADVICE TO X-10 NEWBIES FROM AN X-10 OLD-TIMER

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2007, 12:25:06 PM »

When I get home. I will try and find the link to a CM15A set of tests. Kind of technical but had photos of the signals with and without the AGC in use. It also has a signal called reset AGC.

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2007, 02:30:30 PM »

Anyhow, where did you pick up this tidbit? Is this action what is generally referred to as AGC (Automatic Gain Control) in other manufacturer's literature?

When I first looked into the DS7000 jamming I found out about the receiving technology that X10 uses. It's not really an AGC circuit, but it is dynamic and constantly adjusting to it's environment. But it doesn't really boost the good signal in the traditional AGC sense. The good signal is not alway present, so it only knows that it's there when there is a very short change in ambient RF level.

A little more technical description of this type of receiver is posted here: Re: Disarming DS7000 remotely?

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.