Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Turn one off, another turns on...  (Read 3195 times)

cayz

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Turn one off, another turns on...
« on: March 18, 2007, 04:18:03 PM »

All,

I have a weird problem that maybe you can help diagnose...
I have a ceiling fan w/ light kit controlled by a Leviton 15A in-line relay (fan) and Leviton in-line Dimming Switch (light).  These are no-neutral-needed switches, and are codes K6 (light) and K7 (fan)

The fan, with the Levitons enclosed in the fan "shroud", is connected a wall outlet via a standard 2-wire electric cord - the white wires (source, fan/light, both Levitons) are bound, the source black & both Leviton blacks are bound, and the blue off each Leviton goes to its respective wire (black for fan, blue for light) inside the fan.

Physically, the units are tapes & wire-tied very tight to the base plate of the fan, if that makes any difference.

The Light, by itself, works fine, on & off.
The fan switch works fine to turn the fan on and off, BUT, the problem is this:
Turning the fan OFF when the lights are off causes the lights to go ON.

This does not happen if the lights are already ON (e.g. they don't turn off), nor the other way (turning the lights ON / OFF does not change the state of the fan).

I have tested this with both a wireless and wired controller, and it seems more prevalent when the wired controller is used (nearly 100% vs. about 50% when using wireless).

I'm not sure how the wife will like this "improvement", since it is our bedroom ceiling fan (turning off the fan at 2AM could be "enlightening"  :o ).

Any ideas why this might be happening?

Thanks.

James

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
Re: Turn one off, another turns on...
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2007, 12:37:22 PM »

I have a ceiling fan w/ light kit controlled by a Leviton 15A in-line relay (fan) and Leviton in-line Dimming Switch (light).  These are no-neutral-needed switches, and are codes K6 (light) and K7 (fan)

No, they definitely DO need a neutral, other wise they would not have the white wire (3rd wire, wall switches not needing a neutral, have only 2 wires). There is no "relay" style switch that does not need a neutral.

Are you sure that you have the white wires for the switches going to the neutral side of the outlet?

Turn the wall plug around in the outlet and see if it still acts up, or trace the wires and verify the switch white wires are connected to neutral side of the outlet and not the hot side.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.