Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Upstairs Lamps Won't Work - Range Issue??  (Read 7409 times)

gec5741

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Upstairs Lamps Won't Work - Range Issue??
« on: March 23, 2007, 01:09:54 PM »

I have a 2 story home.  upstairs in my master bedroom I want to put some lamps on the system.  I have the lamp modules setup.  I tested them on the first floor plugged into a lamp.  They however will not work in my bedroom From the remote or from the software interface.  I'm assuming it's to far of a location?  I did get the deal that included the psx01 rf repeater with all the software.  I have not had any luck with the repeater.  I've tried a ton of different locations.  I can see the light on the repeater turn on when I use the remote but the lamps still will not turn on or off.   It seems to mess up the lamps that I do have currently working when I use the repeater even.  I know I read that the repeater can intercept the signal.  Is there a way I can get this to work upstairs.  One main reason I bought this stuff was to get my bedroom automated!

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: Upstairs Lamps Won't Work - Range Issue??
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2007, 04:17:47 PM »

Lamp Modules do not use an RF signal but a signal on the powerline. So an RF repeater will be of no assistance. If you had a problem with an RF remote reaching the Transceiver you are interfacing the remote to. Then it may help.

Where do you have your transceiver that receives the RF from you remotes or where is your controller if it is an AC powered one?

Have you done any looking at the tutorials on solving problems? This sounds more like:

• 1.) A Signal Sucker

• 2.) A Powerline Noise Generator

• 3.) The modules are on the other AC phase of the house wiring and the powerline signals can't reach the modules in question.

[TTA Edit: Formatted reply to make the 3 important points into BULLETS, since these are the FOUNDATION areas to always begin X10 Troubleshooting and Newbies just aren't 'getting it'...]
« Last Edit: March 23, 2007, 04:27:13 PM by TakeTheActive »

TakeTheActive

• Helpful Post Rating: 126
  • Old !@#$% Tinkerer!
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2007, 04:18:52 PM »

I have a 2 story home.  upstairs in my master bedroom I want to put some lamps on the system.  I have the lamp modules setup.  I tested them on the first floor plugged into a lamp.  They however will not work in my bedroom From the remote or from the software interface.  I'm assuming it's to far of a location?

...Is there a way I can get this to work upstairs.
  One main reason I bought this stuff was to get my bedroom automated!

Have you MAPPED out your circuits yet?

If not, for a solid foundation of X10 Operation, spend some time reading:

JV Digital Engineering's X10 Troubleshooting Tutorials Series
Jeff has also asked for FEEDBACK and tells me, to-date, he's received NONE! >:(
Come on folks - this is EXCELLENT information that took personal time to assemble!!
If it weren't for the tireless efforts of the handful of VOLUNTEERS here, where would YOU be? :-\
And don't forget to give Jeff his well-deserved Helpful when you solve your problem(s).
Then:
MAP / MEASURE / CORRECT - be sure to read the EXCELLENT articles written by JeffVolp and Puck
Finally, with your CIRCUIT MAP and SIGNAL METER in hand, finish up with:

« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 10:36:52 PM by JeffVolp »
Low Post Count != Low Knowledge - High Post Count != High Knowledge ;)

ADVICE TO X-10 NEWBIES FROM AN X-10 OLD-TIMER

gec5741

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2007, 05:31:15 PM »

I'll look into all that.  My pc that the interface module is hooked up to is on the first floor office.  The problem appears to be that it just dosn't reach to the upstairs.  I did some testing with the remote and noticed it got out of range at about the stairs to my 2nd floor.  For now I can make it work by just plugging the interface modual in to my dinning room and the lamps work fine in all rooms.  ONly problem is I'd rather have it stay connected to my pc so I for one do not have to keep re connecting it to make changes and 2 I want to evenutally use the myhome system and connect remotely. 

thanks for your reply's.

EL34

• Helpful Post Rating: 21
    • My X-10 projects
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2007, 05:13:27 PM »

As for range, I have two buildings on my property and I can turn stuff on from my house to the other building.

There's probably 250 ft of electrical wire between my cm15a and the devices in the other building.
W10 - CM15A - AHP 3.301 - i Witness - MyHouse online - Smart Macros - SDK using Visual Basic express 2008
My X10 page-> http://www.el34world.com/Misc/home/X10_0.htm

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.