📝Reviews > Protector Plus Reviews

Security for Remote Places

<< < (2/6) > >>

TakeTheActive:

--- Quote from: Tuicemen on April 01, 2007, 03:40:56 PM ---
--- Quote from: TakeTheActive on April 01, 2007, 03:05:30 PM ---
But thinking (out loud) about rechargeable batteries (at 1.2VDC per cell - burned into my brain) and solar cells (which I have NOT researched), given that the control center works so well at 9VDC and minimum current draw, what is the feasibility of assembling a 9VDC Gel Cell and constantly trickle charging it via a solar cell pack? 8)
--- End quote ---

A typical 9 volt battery will power the unit for 12 hours according to the manual (less I assume if an alert is triggered) Just trickle charging a 9volt rechargeable would work as long as you didn't have any lengthy days without sun. ;) :D
--- End quote ---

Look again, Good Buddy! :o I wasn't talking about a 9VDC, 150mAh NiMh or NiCd, but a 9VDC, 10Ah Gel Cell! (Like the ones in your UPS. ;) IIRC, they're 12VDC @ 7Ah though. I *KNOW* that they also make 6VDC, but gotta SEARCH GOOGLE to see about 9VDC, or 3VDC. )

Tuicemen:

--- Quote from: TakeTheActive on April 01, 2007, 04:18:29 PM ---Look again, Good Buddy! :o I wasn't talking about a 9VDC, 150mAh NiMh or NiCd, but a 9VDC, 10Ah Gel Cell! (Like the ones in your UPS. ;) IIRC, they're 12VDC @ 7Ah though. I *KNOW* that they also make 6VDC, but gotta SEARCH GOOGLE to see about 9VDC, or 3VDC. )

--- End quote ---
Yes I know, I haven't put a meter on mine yet to see what it uses during an alarm trigger.
 If that was the only thing running from it you probably wouldn't have a problem but with all solar stuff you need sufficient storage for those cloudy days! We can get 5 or more in a row up here! Usulay only during the winter months thought! ;) Just like to point out any draw backs one might en-cure. My system consists of 10 or 12(can never remember) 6 volt batteries @ 220ah each but then I'm running a house! ;)

TakeTheActive:

--- Quote from: Tuicemen on April 01, 2007, 05:03:52 PM ---
My system consists of 10 or 12(can never remember) 6 volt batteries @ 220ah each but then I'm running a house! ;)
--- End quote ---

I'll bet *THAT* could get a Craftsman wrench glowing! :o

What composition are they? Lead-Acid Deep-Cycle Marine?

Would you, or anyone else following this, know the range in Ah of available automobile batteries?

--- Quote from: TakeTheActive on April 01, 2007, 04:18:29 PM ---
Look again, Good Buddy! :o I wasn't talking about a 9VDC, 150mAh NiMh or NiCd, but a 9VDC, 10Ah Gel Cell! (Like the ones in your UPS. ;) IIRC, they're 12VDC @ 7Ah though. I *KNOW* that they also make 6VDC, but gotta SEARCH GOOGLE to see about 9VDC, or 3VDC. )
--- End quote ---

Yes I know, I haven't put a meter on mine yet to see what it uses during an alarm trigger.
--- End quote ---

I was just roughly extrapolating out from what we already know (too lazy to build a 'pretty' table right now :P ):

* 0150mAh: 012 hours
* 0300mAh: 024 hours - 01 day(s)
* 0600mAh: 048 hours - 02 day(s)
* 1200mAh: 096 hours - 04 day(s)
* 2400mAh: 192 hours - 08 day(s)
* 4800mAh: 384 hours - 16 day(s)
* 9600mAh: 768 hours - 32 day(s) on 9.6Ah

...you need sufficient storage for those cloudy days! We can get 5 or more in a row up here!
--- End quote ---

Yeah, so?? ???  How many cloudy days? ;)

Tuicemen:

--- Quote from: TakeTheActive on April 01, 2007, 05:37:20 PM ---What composition are they? Lead-Acid Deep-Cycle Marine?
--- End quote ---
Lead-Acid Deep-Cycle

--- Quote ---Would you, or anyone else following this, know the range in Ah of available automobile batteries?
--- End quote ---
Automobile batteries are rated differently although you could use one for this application they aren't meant to be discharged then recharged to the extent of a deep-cycle battery Most have the rating printed on the battery!

--- Quote ---I was just roughly extrapolating out from what we already know (too lazy to build a 'pretty' table right now :P ):

* 0150mAh: 012 hours
* 0300mAh: 024 hours - 01 day(s)
* 0600mAh: 048 hours - 02 day(s)
* 1200mAh: 096 hours - 04 day(s)
* 2400mAh: 192 hours - 08 day(s)
* 4800mAh: 384 hours - 16 day(s)
* 9600mAh: 768 hours - 32 day(s) on 9.6Ah
--- End quote ---
And that is without an alarm condition that just keeps the information in tack!
I'm not trying to shoot down your Idea if thats how it appears!
I don't know much about the small solar chargers other then they don't weather well!
It may be cheaper to trickle charge a 12volt battery and convert it to 9 similar to the way wctadmin has done ;) :D ;D

TakeTheActive:

--- Quote from: Tuicemen on April 01, 2007, 06:43:33 PM ---
--- Quote from: TakeTheActive on April 01, 2007, 05:37:20 PM ---
Would you, or anyone else following this, know the range in Ah of available automobile batteries?
--- End quote ---

...Most have the rating printed on the battery!
--- End quote ---

I don't have one handy here in my den - would you mind reading off the label on yours?  ;D

--- Quote from: Tuicemen on April 01, 2007, 06:43:33 PM ---
I'm not trying to shoot down your Idea if thats how it appears!
I don't know much about the small solar chargers other then they don't weather well!
It may be cheaper to trickle charge a 12volt battery and convert it to 9 similar to the way wctadmin has done ;) :D ;D
--- End quote ---

Naw, I'm not thinking you're shooting it down - I'm thinking you're not understanding it. ;)

My understanding is, supplying the correct voltage is always more efficient than regulating a higher voltage (i.e. heat equals wasted energy). So, strictly for the Security Console, I'm thinking a 9VDC @ 7Ah Sealed Gel Cell with one of those 'inexpensive' 12VDC Solar Cells that you can place on the dashboard of your car and plug into the cigarette lighter.

K.I.S.S. from an "Old Tinkerer" - that's all. 8)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version