Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Ceiling fans & 3-way switches...  (Read 3758 times)

jshores

Ceiling fans & 3-way switches...
« on: January 20, 2007, 10:13:41 PM »

I'm exploring options for how to handle a number of ceiling fans installed on 3-way switches.  I tried to include an image with this, but the upload directory was full.  I can email it if anyone wants to see it for clarity. 

In the room on the left, there's a ceiling fan on a 3-way switch (J1 & SL). The room on the right has the same setup (J5 & SL). I can retain separate control of the light and fan by installing an XPDF & XPFM with a XPT & XP4D at J1 and J5.  This is a costly solution -- over $70 per room.  And what do I use for the companion switch?  Another XPT & XP4D?

So, I started thinking about whether I really need separate light & fan control.  If I use the pull chains on the fans, I should be able to install something like a Leviton HCS10-1SW and companion switch to control both light & fan; but this is also a costly solution (> $70 per room).  Anybody know of a X-10 equivalent switch?

The room between the left & right rooms is a shared bath. That's where the companion switches would need to go.  Anyone considered capping off (remove the existing 3-way switch and wire nut the appropriate wires togther) these switches in lieu of installing companion switches?

I know I'm rambling, but I guess I'm just looking for best practices.  What's the right way to do this for reliable performance?

LarryFlew

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Re: Ceiling fans & 3-way switches...
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2007, 02:52:45 PM »

Why not use an XPD13 in the fan housing for fan control and an XPDF also in the fan housing to control the lights and then use remotes instead of using any switches at all?

driver8rws

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2007, 12:25:16 AM »

What do you mean "IN" the fan housing ??  :-\
  The XPDI3 is a SWITCH (that mounts in the wall) not some "thing" you can wire into the housing of a fan..

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2007, 06:52:39 AM »

XPDI3 is a wall mounted switch not a fixture type module.

gil shultz

• Helpful Post Rating: 4
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2007, 11:23:47 PM »

Good Evening,

I used the Emerson solution, works great but not in your price range.  You might check it out it i9s possible you may want to spend a bit more.

Have Fun
Gil Shultz

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.