Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Adding Separate Light to Existing 3-way Chain  (Read 4604 times)

cris

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Adding Separate Light to Existing 3-way Chain
« on: April 02, 2007, 09:43:27 AM »

I don't currently have any AHP stuff in my house (though I used the original AH stuff in a previous house). I have a light controlled on a 3-way switch at my entry-way, and another light about 20' down the hall, on a separate circuit and controlled by a separate 2-way switch.

Basically, I'm wondering if I can combine the switches in such a way that the lights all behave as if they're on a single 3-way (4-way?) circuit. In other words, I'd like flipping the 3-way to control the hall light, and flipping the 2-way on the hall light to control the entry light. Does the AHP stuff accommodate this sort of arrangement if you match the house/unit code?

Also, do you need a software/control unit to make any use of the AHP system at all, or could I just go with the switches for something like this?

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
Re: Adding Separate Light to Existing 3-way Chain
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2007, 02:58:13 PM »

I believe there have been some similar questions to yours. You might find some helpful hints that have already been posted by searching around a bit.

Basically most X10 switches do not send a line signal when they are switched locally. i.e. No software will know when the light is turned on locally. If both were set to the same code, an RF switch might work. You would need to stick those switches next to the regular switches. You would also need some of transceiver like the RR501. Also I believe there are more expensive X10 compatible switches that do send a line signal. If I recall from previous discussions, X10 doesn't sell them but other companies do. They are substantially more costly than a standard X10 wall switch.
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

gil shultz

• Helpful Post Rating: 4
Re: Adding Separate Light to Existing 3-way Chain
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2007, 11:04:01 PM »

Good Evening,

I do not know if you have access to both points or not and can run a wire between them.  If you do connecting them directly to each other would be relative easy if you know anything about home wiring. 

Good Luck
Gil Shultz

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.