Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: CFLs and Socket Rockets  (Read 6230 times)

Appliance Module

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
CFLs and Socket Rockets
« on: April 05, 2007, 09:19:10 PM »

Have read all I can find on here on back posts regarding using CFLs with Socket Rocket.   

Conclusions:    Seems to work.  Some are noisy. 

Any idea why X10 has not approved these to control CFLs?

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: CFLs and Socket Rockets
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2007, 07:07:50 AM »

They use an electronic component [triac] to turn on and off the socket and not a mechanical switch like in the Appliance Modules. Triacs even when fully on can change the AC waveform and some CFL electronics may not like them. technically they colud damage each other. I have used CFLs in Socket Rockets myself. One made bad powerline noise that masked X10 signals while another did not.

bpratt

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
    • Logan Village Weather
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2007, 05:00:51 AM »

I have used CFLs in Socket Rockets myself. One made bad powerline noise that masked X10 signals while another did not.

Now this could be an issue when Australia finally phases out incandescent globes with CFL's in the next few years or so

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2007, 05:27:28 AM »

Here in the USA some States are also trying to go with Energy Efficient bulbs. I would say that some vendors will have to redesign their devices or the bulb manufactures may change things. Maybe even the LED lights maybe less costly as they become more prevalent.
Most CFLs add a different environmental problem. They have mercury in them and then we will have to recycle them to prevent mercury contamination. Not that we shouldn't be recycling already.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.