Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Running Wires From Wired Cameras  (Read 5051 times)

tom j

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
Running Wires From Wired Cameras
« on: July 25, 2007, 09:18:32 PM »

Hi guys need so help on how the wires should be run from the cameras through the house to the recording device should the wires be hidden or exposed I'm talking about outside and how about getting the wires back inside I'm talking about a single family home with an attic what this job to look professional might have to hire someone but I just need to know how it should be done. Thanks guys!

Tom j

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: Running Wires From Wired Cameras
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2007, 04:08:15 PM »

How to run your wires is really up to you! ;)
My self I'd try to hide the wires under gutters,flashing etc. but at least protect them from getting cut or eaten from squirrels,mice or other rodents! I had one from a pan&tilt eaten by something  >:( as well Dave_x10_l has had wires chewed from a squirrel or chipmunk! ::)  :(
I'm sure either Dave_x10_l or KDR will chime in as both love running wires ;) :D ;D
Hey maybe they'll even run them for you  :D ;D but I'm sure they'll have some ideas! ;)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

KDR

• Helpful Post Rating: 53
    • Home Automation Chat
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2007, 07:22:35 PM »

The Astak and X10 cams have cables that are about 3/16 in diameter. The plugs on the end of the Astak are RCA plugs and a 1/8" power plug. The X10 has a RJ45 phone type plug.

I have white vinyl siding and was able to push the cable up into the overlap to hide it. I ran all the cables high and all to one point in back of the house. I came down along side a conduit and drilled a single hole about 5/8" through the side and into the basement. You could run the cable inside a piece of 3/4 conduit. I painted my cables White and unless your looking for them you can't find them.

The first time i filled the hole passing through the siding with RTV. Made a great water tight seal but then i needed to add a wire and spent like 2 hours digging it out. I then used plumbers putty and packed the hole. That made it water tight and... it comes out easy if I need to pass another cable through.

Inside the house I tucked the cable along the baseboard and carpet. That hides it well. In one location I needed to run the cable up the wall and if you do it in a corner its almost invisible. Just paint it the color of the wall.

Every house and application could be differant but since the cable is so small it hides or blends well. Keep in mind that vertical runs on an open wall look better then horizontal if its out in the open.

The Astak cams have plugs at the cam end so if you need to swap it out it easy. X10 cams are hard wired at the cam and if you swap out the cam you have to pull the full length of the cable or do some fancy cut and splice.

----------------KDR
« Last Edit: July 26, 2007, 07:28:03 PM by KDR »
Note: "Guests" may read the X10 forum , but you must register to post!

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2007, 08:18:40 PM »

........ the wires should be run from the cameras through the house to the recording device ......... I'm talking about outside and how about getting the wires back inside I'm talking about a single family home with an attic what this job to look professional

I take it (even though I know better than to assume) that your thinking of mounting the cameras on/under your eaves, then feeding the wires through your attic to a central area. Then you would feed them down to the area where you will monitor/record/redistribute to the TVs/or whatever.

To do this (the above) get yourself a wire fish (steel fish tape) and a ball to tough heavy guage nylon string.

Drill a hole just large enough for your cameras fitting at the locations where you plan to mount the cameras. Then feed your tape into the attic (it's always nice to have a second person in the attic.... it's never a good idea for that person to be your wife).

In the attic, attach your nylon string to the tape. Pull the tape back outside taking string with it. Now you can use the string to pull the cameras wire... ether from the outside in... OR ...the inside out depending on the cameras connection needs. Ether way be sure to leave enough string (in the attic with the camera wire) so that you can repeat this process later if needed. Repeat the process going from the attic to the living area.

When mounting the cameras use a foam material between the camera mount and the eaves to create a spacer for the camera (and the wires). Then feed the wires (including any RCA connectors) under the camera (into the hole you drilled) and mount the camera over the drilled hole (with the screws provided). That will cover the hole, keep it bug-tight, and hide any RCA connections .... if you have those.

Home Automation is an always changing technology

tom j

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2007, 09:12:45 AM »

The Astak and X10 cams have cables that are about 3/16 in diameter. The plugs on the end of the Astak are RCA plugs and a 1/8" power plug. The X10 has a RJ45 phone type plug.

I have white vinyl siding and was able to push the cable up into the overlap to hide it. I ran all the cables high and all to one point in back of the house. I came down along side a conduit and drilled a single hole about 5/8" through the side and into the basement. You could run the cable inside a piece of 3/4 conduit. I painted my cables White and unless your looking for them you can't find them.

The first time i filled the hole passing through the siding with RTV. Made a great water tight seal but then i needed to add a wire and spent like 2 hours digging it out. I then used plumbers putty and packed the hole. That made it water tight and... it comes out easy if I need to pass another cable through.

Inside the house I tucked the cable along the baseboard and carpet. That hides it well. In one location I needed to run the cable up the wall and if you do it in a corner its almost invisible. Just paint it the color of the wall.

Every house and application could be differant but since the cable is so small it hides or blends well. Keep in mind that vertical runs on an open wall look better then horizontal if its out in the open.

The Astak cams have plugs at the cam end so if you need to swap it out it easy. X10 cams are hard wired at the cam and if you swap out the cam you have to pull the full length of the cable or do some fancy cut and splice.

----------------KDR

Thanks KDR well I got some good ideas I don't know maybe I'll just have an installer do it now that I know what to expect, question when running wires back into the house are they usually run on the exterior to the location you what the wires to enter?

Tom j

KDR

• Helpful Post Rating: 53
    • Home Automation Chat
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2007, 11:42:34 AM »

tom j when the cable company or phone company comes out to add a new line to a room they will most likely run the cable on the exterior of the house and enter the room from that point. Running wires inside exterior walls posses a problem if you have insulation in all the outside walls. (it can be done).

I was able to run all my cables to one point and then enter the house because all the cables came into the basement. The cables outside are all white or painted white to blend with the siding so they really don't stand out.

----------------KDR
Note: "Guests" may read the X10 forum , but you must register to post!

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

tom j

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2007, 10:53:36 PM »

tom j when the cable company or phone company comes out to add a new line to a room they will most likely run the cable on the exterior of the house and enter the room from that point. Running wires inside exterior walls posses a problem if you have insulation in all the outside walls. (it can be done).

I was able to run all my cables to one point and then enter the house because all the cables came into the basement. The cables outside are all white or painted white to blend with the siding so they really don't stand out.

----------------KDR

Thanks again well at least I got the idea before I really didn't have a clue, say I'm thinking of having cameras on the South, North, East, & West sides of the house entering I'm thinking on the South side now the camera in the back won't require but a few feet so what would you suggest I do with all the excess wire. Also thinking about selling my x10 gear and picking up the one below, whata' ya think? seems like it really has all the bells and whistles and the reviews on Amazon.com give it 4 stars.

Tom j

http://www.svat.com/productDisplay.php?id=185&categoryNumber=2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.