Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Smart Repeater Info  (Read 6148 times)

tom j

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
Smart Repeater Info
« on: January 31, 2007, 12:46:25 PM »

Hello quick question guys. I was under the impression that the Smart Repeater, was capable of transmitting all the x10 codes so for example you were using abc it could transmit those three house codes to for example AHP but I just got one of those e-mails from x10 where they are giving away a free one with Active Home Pro and they say you have to set the house code on the repeater to the same code as your transceiver, so what gives this thing can only repeat one house code at a time  ???, just need some clarification on this before I place my order. thanks!!

Tom j

Walt2

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 28
Re: Smart Repeater Info
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2007, 01:32:19 PM »

Are you talking about the Smart RF Repeater? 

Those repeat all house and unit codes.  The switch on the top right side which looks like a normal house code wheel, on the Smart RF Repeaters, is actually the Repeater's ID.  You can have a total of four Repeaters in your house, with the first one being "A", the second being "B", 3rd "C" and  4th "D".  Just to complicate it even more, since they use a house code wheel, that goes up to "P", you have A=E=I=M, B=F=J=N, C=G=K=O, D=H=L=P.

BTW, as I reported elsewhere, I can't get my Smart RF Repeater to work at all with my CM15A.  It works just find with a standard transceiver.  However, when I press the Test Button on the Repeater, not only does the CM15A not respond (execute the macro), AHP's Activity Monitor shows nothing.

See Smart RF Repeater (SR731) NOT Working

And SMART RF REPEATER (PSX01) good or BAD ?
* Sears Home Control System, Radio Shack Plug 'n Power, NuTone, Stanley LightMaker, BSR, HomeLink.
* Tecmar Device Master, CP290 (LightHouse), CM11A (AH), CM14A (AH2), CM15A (AHPro).

tom j

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2007, 06:42:41 PM »

Are you talking about the Smart RF Repeater? 

Those repeat all house and unit codes.  The switch on the top right side which looks like a normal house code wheel, on the Smart RF Repeaters, is actually the Repeater's ID.  You can have a total of four Repeaters in your house, with the first one being "A", the second being "B", 3rd "C" and  4th "D".  Just to complicate it even more, since they use a house code wheel, that goes up to "P", you have A=E=I=M, B=F=J=N, C=G=K=O, D=H=L=P.

BTW, as I reported elsewhere, I can't get my Smart RF Repeater to work at all with my CM15A.  It works just find with a standard transceiver.  However, when I press the Test Button on the Repeater, not only does the CM15A not respond (execute the macro), AHP's Activity Monitor shows nothing.

See Smart RF Repeater (SR731) NOT Working

And SMART RF REPEATER (PSX01) good or BAD ?

Thanks had to give ya an At-A-Boy for that one, that's what I thought! don't know why x10 gave that impression in their little ad, here's what I was able to finally figure out the code wheel is for like you mentioned linking up two or more repeaters up to 4 I believe. Set the code letter to any letter between A and P if you're using more then one repeater set each one to a different sequential letter. Repeater B will only repeat codes from A or C repeater C will only transmit codes from B or D repeater D will only transmit codes from C or E and so on. Thanks

Tom j

Walt2

• Advanced Member
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2007, 08:10:30 AM »

Repeater B will only repeat codes from A or C repeater C will only transmit codes from B or D repeater D will only transmit codes from C or E and so on.

I believe that is true only for one of the two different versions of the Smart RF Repeaters. 

The only way I know of telling the versions apart (they both have the same P/N) is that version which works the way you describe, also generates house code "A" when its Test Button is pressed.

The other version generates house code "M" when its Test Button is pressed.

I have no idea which is the newer version, or the better version, between the two.  :(
* Sears Home Control System, Radio Shack Plug 'n Power, NuTone, Stanley LightMaker, BSR, HomeLink.
* Tecmar Device Master, CP290 (LightHouse), CM11A (AH), CM14A (AH2), CM15A (AHPro).

tom j

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2007, 01:52:17 PM »

Say Walt2 here's a quote from a resent x10 add, going to look into what you said about the two versions didn't think they made but one are you saying that the other version is unable to be configured to repeat the commands of other repeaters?  just a little confused  ??? Thanks

Tom j

from x10:
Simply set the code wheel to the same house code as ActiveHome or your transceiver, and it will extend the range of your X10 remotes, motion sensors and more so you can use it anywhere in your home (up to 100 extra feet)!

Walt2

• Advanced Member
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2007, 02:58:22 PM »

... but one are you saying that the other version is unable to be configured to repeat the commands of other repeaters?  just a little confused  ??? Thanks

I think so, yes.

The one version you are writing about, seems to support a daisy chain configuration, where one can have a string of up to 4 Repeaters.  The first Repeater repeating the RF signal onto the second, the second onto the third, the third to the forth, and finally the forth to the transceiver.  I guess this would support a home setup where the transceiver is at one extreme end of the house, and you have, say, a repeater located every 30 feet, spanning all the way to the other extreme end of the house.

The other version seems to support a star configuration, of up to 4 Repeaters.  Each of the four Repeaters will repeat the RF signal directly back to the transceiver.  I guess this would support a home setup where the transceiver is located centrally, and the Repeaters are spread around it, each about 30 feet away.

However, I still must point out, that what is still unclear to me, is what other differences exist between the versions.  I really wish X10 used a different p/n for each version.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2007, 03:18:26 PM by Walt2 »

Walt2

• Advanced Member
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2007, 03:12:50 PM »

from x10:
Simply set the code wheel to the same house code as ActiveHome or your transceiver, and it will extend the range of your X10 remotes, motion sensors and more so you can use it anywhere in your home (up to 100 extra feet)!

This totally confuses me, and is inconsistent with their own printed instructions for all the Smart RF Repeater versions.  The Repeater's ID (one of 4) has nothing to do with a house code.  The Repeaters repeat just about any X10 RF signal (Automation, Security, etc) regardless of house codes, unit codes, extended codes, or anything else.

The only place where house codes come in, is that X10 tried to save a penny, and they used a House Code Wheel switch to select the one-of-4 Repeater ID's.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2007, 03:15:52 PM by Walt2 »

tom j

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2007, 01:36:21 AM »

from x10:

This totally confuses me, and is inconsistent with their own printed instructions for all the Smart RF Repeater versions.  The Repeater's ID (one of 4) has nothing to do with a house code.  The Repeaters repeat just about any X10 RF signal (Automation, Security, etc) regardless of house codes, unit codes, extended codes, or anything else.

The only place where house codes come in, is that X10 tried to save a penny, and they used a House Code Wheel switch to select the one-of-4 Repeater ID's.

Yep Yep! that's what I was saying I was really confused after getting that x10 e-mail, think it's just a typo? if you're on their mailing list you probably got the same thing. Actually that's why I posted the initial  forum question. Say Walt2, Can't think you enough you've been a really big help. Say x10 think you could step in and give us a hand to help strighten this out.  ???

Tom j
« Last Edit: February 03, 2007, 02:25:03 AM by tom j »

Walt2

• Advanced Member
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2007, 07:46:33 AM »

Yep Yep! that's what I was saying I was really confused after getting that x10 e-mail, think it's just a typo?

I think who ever writes those email newsletters (SPAM?), isn't really all that familiar with the X10 products being advertised.  I certainly would never use comments or claims made in those newsletters as substitutes for the actual product manuals.  And, hay, the manuals themselves aren't always that clear either!

waterstom

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2007, 10:04:58 AM »

Hi Folks.  Just another cornfused user here.  I am troubleshooting the use/operation of this device, after sending the 1st one back to the vendor (VAR) b/c it "didn't work" (now out a little more on shipping, duhh)

I have the PSX01, for a point of reference.  One thing that is MOST frustrating, is the LED.  It's useless.  All it seems to do is confirm, for ONLY the A1 Test that something happens.  I was under the impression it would light when it receives a code it's repeating, ut it does not.  Also, TEST appears to ONLY work when the repeater is set to unit A.  Everybody else on this same path?

One thing I am now doing to help me is to open the Activity Monitor in AHP and watch what happens or shows up on it when I transmit something.  It does appear to SEE and REPEAT stuff by watching it there.
For example, I'll press D8 on a handheld remote = Look at the results from the monitor =

04/29/2007 10:36:31 Receive RF D8 On
04/29/2007 10:36:31 Receive D8 (Stairs (motion))
04/29/2007 10:36:32 Receive D On (Stairs (motion))

You see the remote's signal identified as the "Receive RF" because it was an RF signal I generated (how I identify for testing, where the signal comes from)
Next, you see the "Receive D8" which I can only assume is coming from the repeater since nothing else is generating it. (no macros on that code)
Third, you actually see the intended command, "On" shown.

D is the housecode, and the repeater is set to C.

Newsflash --  Nevermind, this is not really working.  I unplugged the repeater and get the SAME result on the activity monitor.  So I really don't thing the thing works.  I am going to next try reading it with a Frequency Counter.  The signal is very low power but I thing my unit will pick it up.  I'll post again.
Arg!

Walt2

• Advanced Member
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2007, 07:23:41 AM »

I have the PSX01, for a point of reference.  One thing that is MOST frustrating, is the LED.  It's useless.  All it seems to do is confirm, for ONLY the A1 Test that something happens.  I was under the impression it would light when it receives a code it's repeating, ut it does not. 

Mine, the LED will flash when it is repeating.

Walt2

• Advanced Member
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2007, 07:30:59 AM »

Newsflash --  Nevermind, this is not really working.  I unplugged the repeater and get the SAME result on the activity monitor.  So I really don't thing the thing works.  I am going to next try reading it with a Frequency Counter.  The signal is very low power but I thing my unit will pick it up.  I'll post again.
Arg!

I think you are seeing the same results I get.  The AHP/CM15A doesn't "see" the repeater, be it repeating an RF command signal, or me simply pressing the 'test' button on the repeater.  This is even true when I move the repeater, and have the repeater plugged into the same outlet as the CM15A, thus, they are only about 12" apart.

My repeaters have no problem working with any of my other transceivers.  So, I think they are "good".

My guess, is that the RF command signals from the repeaters are somehow tagged as being a repeat.  With such tags, a "well designed" transceiver could merge any multiple RF commands, into just one power-line command.  If that is true, I would bet that the CM15A sees these tags as making the RF commands invalid, and simply ignores them.  In other words, the CM15A is a "poorly designed" transceiver (in many ways).
« Last Edit: April 30, 2007, 07:33:33 AM by Walt2 »

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.