Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Can Multiple PR511s Trigger Each Other?  (Read 12236 times)

adpinc

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Can Multiple PR511s Trigger Each Other?
« on: April 07, 2007, 01:57:00 AM »

I want to set up a motion sensor perimeter around my house.  I want to use 4 motion sensor flood lights.  If any one flood light sensor is triggered, I want the others to turn on.  I've never used these things, but from reading the manual online, it would appear at first glance that only one motion sensor acts as the "master" and the others act as "slaves."

I'm looking at using 4 PR511-S flood lights.

Can I set the start code on each unit such that any one of the sensors will set all the others off?

TakeTheActive

• Helpful Post Rating: 126
  • Old !@#$% Tinkerer!
Re: Can Multiple PR511s Trigger Each Other?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2007, 02:15:14 AM »

I want to set up a motion sensor perimeter around my house.  I want to use 4 motion sensor flood lights.  If any one flood light sensor is triggered, I want the others to turn on...

...I'm looking at using 4 PR511-S flood lights.

Can I set the start code on each unit such that any one of the sensors will set all the others off?

No. You can't accomplish this with PR511s without using a CM11A and/or CM15A or equivalent.

Think it out:

• Assign PR511-A to A1; thus it can trigger A2-A5.

• Assign PR511-B to A2; thus it can trigger A3-A6.

• Assign PR511-C to A3; thus it can trigger A4-A7.

• Assign PR511-A to A4; thus it can trigger A5-A8.

But, I do it with MACROs on the CM11A and CM15A. :)  Use ADVANCED SEARCH with Keyword 'PR511' and my UserId and you'll find it.

A brief description is in my recent reply to x10_code_warrior in Re: Electronic ballasts and the AM466 problem.
Low Post Count != Low Knowledge - High Post Count != High Knowledge ;)

ADVICE TO X-10 NEWBIES FROM AN X-10 OLD-TIMER

adpinc

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2007, 09:53:08 AM »

Thanks!  That's what I suspected from reading the manual.

Out of curiousity - what would happen if I set all of the flood lights to the same start code?

adpinc

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2007, 06:27:49 PM »

Okay, I've bought my 3 PR511s and CM15A.  I've loaded my AHP software (v3.204).  I've set the lights to B1, B2, and B3.  I've set all the + switches to OUT.  I've sent the lights to "sensor" mode.  I've plugged in my CM15A.  I figured out how to turn the lights on and off manually (through the interface).  I am able to manually flick on and off the PR511s, and I can wave my hand in front of them and they turn on and off properly, but the macros don't do anything.

But here's my my goal.  I wrote 3 macros as follows:

1) When B1 is on, turn on B2 & B3 for 300 seconds.  Then all turn off
2) When B2 is on, turn on B3 & B1 for 300 seconds.  Then all turn off
3) When B3 is on, turn on B1 & B2 for 300 seconds.  Then all turn off

When I test the macros from the PC, they appear to work, assuming that when I click "run macro" that means it skips the trigger and tests the code.

But I've downloaded the macros to the CM15A and it says it was successful.  Yet when I trigger any of the motion sensors by waving my hand in front of it, that sensor goes on, BUT THE OTHER LIGHTS DON'T.

I can trigger any or all of the motion sensors by waving my hand in front of them.  I've placed each of them in a dark place to test them (is there a TEST mode on these stupid things????  Who didn't think of that?)

What am I doing wrong???  It seems so simple, yet I can't get a trigger from any of the motion sensors.  It's driving me crazy!!!
 ???

TakeTheActive

• Helpful Post Rating: 126
  • Old !@#$% Tinkerer!
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2007, 06:47:36 PM »

• ...I've bought my 3 PR511s and CM15A.
  • I've loaded my AHP software (v3.204).
  • I've set the lights to B1, B2, and B3.
  • I've set all the + switches to OUT.
  • I've sent the lights to "sensor" mode...

...I can wave my hand in front of them and they turn on and off properly, but the macros don't do anything.

What am I doing wrong???  It seems so simple, yet I can't get a trigger from any of the motion sensors.  It's driving me crazy!!! ???[/size]

You appear to have entered FRUSTRATION MODE (where a normal person stops thinking logically and starts RANTING ;) ).

If you've set *ALL* of the internal slide switches on *ALL* of the PR511s to OUT, how are they going to relay any commands? ???

...I've placed each of them in a dark place to test them...

...Are the PR511s permanently installed, or still on your workbench?

Remember what I previously posted about NOT using the BLUE wire? ;)

Are you prepared to work on this TONIGHT / RIGHT NOW?

...(is there a TEST mode on these stupid things????  Who didn't think of that?)

Did you read the manual? ::) :)
Low Post Count != Low Knowledge - High Post Count != High Knowledge ;)

ADVICE TO X-10 NEWBIES FROM AN X-10 OLD-TIMER

adpinc

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2007, 07:04:27 PM »

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, they are on my bench.

I've got 2 of them set up right now, B1 and B2.

There is no TEST mode that appears to ignore when there is ambient daylight, so I put the sensors each in a box to fool the daylight sensors.

Anyway, here's where I am at....

My macro works now when I switch on B1.  B2 comes on, stays on for a bit, then shuts off properly.

BUT

When I wave my hand in front of B1, it switches on, but the macro does not run. 

In "my room," when I activate B1 with the motion sensor, the switch does not flip from off to on.  Is this correct??

I switched all the + to OUT because I am using macros, not the internal switching capability.  Why would I need that if I am using the macros?

adpinc

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2007, 09:01:49 PM »

Okay, I've got an interesting thing going on here.  Someone out there must know what i am doing wrong.

I have 2 PR511, both set to house code "B".  B1 and B2.

I have both PR511s set for "sensor".  I have B2's + 4 sensor IN (B6).  I have none of B1's sensors IN (all OUT).

I created 3 PR511s in software:  B1, B2, B6 (B6 is a dummy)

I created a macro that triggers when B6=ON, turn on B1.
I created a macro that triggers when B6=OFF, turn off B1.

After downloading the macros, when I manually turn ON B6 from the software, the "on" macro flashes and B1 turns on correctly.
When I turn OFF B6 from the software, the "off" macro flashes and B1 turns off correctly.

Now....

When I wave my hand in front of B2, the bulbs comes on, and B6 is triggered.  B6 turns "on" in the software.
The "on" macros flash when B6 turns on.
When the motion sensor turns OFF, B6 turns off correctly.
The "off" macro flashes when B6 turns off.

BUT, B1 bulbs never turn on or off even though the macro lights flash.

What am I missing?

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.