Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: [How-Do-I] Troubleshoot Possible Interference From (a Neighbor With) Insteon?  (Read 7664 times)

CharlieB

• Helpful Post Rating: 0

I have a pretty extensive x-10 system using 3 A codes, 14 B codes, and 3 C codes.  All has been working fairly well, due to the extensive filtering, coupling, and repeaters installed.  Then a new neighbor moved in next door, and I see all sorts of signals when checking for other computers, and various rf signals on activity monitor.  Some of my lights come on in the middle of the night and at times I am unable to control lights or appliances either from the computer or a remote.  It is all very frustrating.  I had an electrician install a whole-house filter, to no effect.
My neighbor does not use X-10, but does have an Insteon system.  He seems willing to discuss my problem, but says he has no problem of stray signals.  How does the Insteon system produce the interference I'm seeing, and how can it be controlled or eliminated?

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page

Insteon and X10 use similar carrier frequencies - 120KHz for X10 and 132KHz for Insteon.  The modulation methods are different, but the Insteon signal is transmitted at the same point in the waveform that X10 signals are transmitted.  Insteon devices also have the ability to send X10 signals.  So yes, it is possible that an Insteon system will interfere with an X10 system.

I would have expected a Whole House Blocking Filter (X10 PZZ01 or Leviton 6284) to pretty much isolate your house.  The next step would be to use some sort of X10 signal monitor to find out exactly what is going on.  Also, check what X10 housecodes are used by his Insteon devices (if any).  It may be as simple as changing housecodes.

It would be interesting to find out what your repeater does if any of the Insteon signal gets to it.  The Blocking Filter may be knocking down the level of the Insteon signal, but it is possible that the remaining signal gets into the repeater and causes problems.

Jeff
« Last Edit: May 19, 2007, 12:31:36 AM by JeffVolp »
X-10 automation since the BSR days

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305

My Smarthome Dryer Outlet X10 repeater shows the Red LED signal activity but not the Green Transmit LED on Insteon Signals. It is going to be replaced with an ACT CR234 shortly.
I to would double check your neighbors having the optional X10 Primary Address enabled on their Insteon devices.
Also long shot. I have seen reports of Insteon modules having some test addresses in them when shipped by error. If you find maybe 1 of the Insteon modules giving you grief. Try a full factory reset on that module.
Gee if you actually wanted to get a signal between homes it would never happen. ::)

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.