Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Inconsistant wireless camera signals  (Read 11698 times)

michlea

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
  • Going to catch my neighbor vandalising my property
Inconsistant wireless camera signals
« on: May 28, 2007, 11:01:15 AM »

Now that I have my system up and running.  I could use some advice on getting a consistant signal on my 3 x10 wireless nightwatch cameras.  I always have a good and fairly consistant signal on the camera in the front of the house, closest to the receiver.  Camera 2 & 3 give inconsistent signals.  Sometimes I get a picture, sometimes I get "no signal" message on my tv.  I always seem to get good reception in the evening. 

Any advice would be appreciated!
Gonna Get 'em!

Michlea

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: Inconsistant wireless camera signals
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2007, 12:12:29 PM »

Camera 2 & 3 give inconsistent signals.  Sometimes I get a picture, sometimes I get "no signal" message on my tv.  I always seem to get good reception in the evening. 

Because of the structural difference in homes, there is no one-way that works for everyone. However, with a little trial and error the cameras will work. Could you describe your set up a little better (distance, obstructions, etc)?

The 1st place to start is with (carefully) adjusting the directional patch (little square) antennas on both the cameras, and the video receiver. My favorite tips are:

The audio/video signal will past much easier through windows, then walls (floors are often easier then walls also).

Because walls can often deflect the audio/video signal I use a corner in one room to direct the video signal(s) to, and then direct the receiver antenna to the same corner.

Home Automation is an always changing technology

michlea

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2007, 01:01:43 PM »

Thanks again for your reply.  I live in a 16' x 66' mobile home with a side addition. I'm sure there is a fair amount of metal in a mobile home but not really sure.  Front and center of my home I have camera. Behind it are my floor to ceiling front bay windows. Inside my home, in front of the bay window and about 7ft away to the right is the receiver. (Looking at the front of my home to the back) The attenna with the 4 little squares pointing down the length of my home and a little more to the left.  Front camera reception is fairly consistant. 

Second camera is about 30 ft away from the receiver, on the right side of my home, just below the corner of a window.  My central air conditioner sits about 10 ft away from that camera.  I get inconsistant signal to that camera, but much better in the evening/night.  Attenna is pointed toward the window with the four little squares facing the 4 little squares on the attenna of the receiver.

Third camera is about 62ft away from the receiver, directly on the same right side of my home with the squares on the attenna pointing to the front of my home.  They are all sort of in a line with the receiver slightly to the left of the two side cameras.  There is a 15' X 22" addition between the second and third camera.

Hope I covered it all...

Gonna Get 'em!

Michlea

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2007, 04:26:55 PM »

michlea:
Since you stated :
I always seem to get good reception in the evening.

The first thing I would look at is what is running during the day that isn't during the night?
Many things can cause interference with the cams doing an advanced search for noise or interference will turn up lots. ;)
Creating a direct line of sight between cams and the receiver will help but you have to find out what is different in the day verses the night!(besides the obvious) ;)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

michlea

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2007, 11:11:17 PM »

When I get my new problem of the motions sensors not working outdoors, I'll play around with trying to see what is different.  I do have charter cable telephone and internet.  Could they interfere?  I live in a mobile home park so our homes are sort of close.  It may even be interference with a neighbors stuff.   :(
Gonna Get 'em!

Michlea

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2007, 11:32:57 PM »

When I get my new problem of the motions sensors not working outdoors...
Could she be having a range issue with the motion sensors?
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

michlea

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2007, 12:23:16 PM »

Hi Steve,  I don't know what's going on with the motion sensors.  They work indoors just fine but not outdoors.  Do you happen to know the range of these sensors?  I'm going to read over the instruction sheet for the sensors to see what I can find out.  The thing is the first motion sensor works inside in front of my bay window.  It's mounted outside the bay window in the same area (only a difference of about 8" and it doesn't work... 

I'm so frustrated!!!!!
Gonna Get 'em!

Michlea

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2007, 01:41:23 PM »

...They work indoors just fine but not outdoors.  Do you happen to know the range of these sensors?...
What are you using to receive the signal from the motion sensors? CM15A? (The CM15A is known for it's challenged range.) A separate receiver? You take a walk with one of the sensors and get an idea of the range.
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

michlea

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2007, 07:35:35 PM »

I am using the Model TM751 Mini Transceiver the Receiver is the Lola Video receiver model VR38A.  I also need to tell you.... this am I posted a new thread specifically on this topic of the motion sensors.  I should've done that right from the beginning but just didn't think of it and how it would affect others having the same problem.  Please feel free to follow up with me on that thread.  I value your input and the advice of all of you very much!
Gonna Get 'em!

Michlea

michlea

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2007, 11:50:42 AM »

Okay guys, I seem to have my motion sensors working okay and I'm ready to pursue my inconsistant signal problem.  The cameras are still working at night but the 2 cams furthest away from the receiver won't work until late afternoon, early evening...  The only thing I can pinpoint that bothers the cam sigs is the microwave oven, but of course that's a short interuption.  I can't seem to find anything coming from my home that makes it different between night and day.

I must have the cameras/attennas properly adjusted as they work at night....do you agree? or do I have to still monkey around with them...
Gonna Get 'em!

Michlea

HA Dave

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2007, 06:26:28 PM »

Okay guys, I seem to have my motion sensors working okay and I'm ready to pursue my inconsistant signal problem.  The cameras are still working at night but the 2 cams furthest away from the receiver won't work until late afternoon, early evening...  The only thing I can pinpoint that bothers the cam sigs is the microwave oven, but of course that's a short interuption.  I can't seem to find anything coming from my home that makes it different between night and day.

I must have the cameras/attennas properly adjusted as they work at night....do you agree? or do I have to still monkey around with them...

[Last question 1st] You likely DO have the antennas set/pointed correctly.

It could very well be some sort of localized radio signal! (that means I don't have a clue as to why it works at night and not day)

But I would try changing channels. On your receiver there is a little (though easy to see) slide switch and four letters "A-D". It should have been preset to letter "A". On the cameras there is a little rubber pad like plug. Remove the plug, and you will find a little tiny (little tiny) switch. You will need a small screwdriver (or hairpin) to move the tiny slide switch. By default, they should now be set on channel "A".

During the day.... switch your receiver to "D" then go to one of the cameras (that DON'T work during the day) remove the plug and slide the switch to the opposite end (from "A", past B & C, to "D". Then trip the motion sensor (or use the remote) and check your recorder/TV.

If it that solved the problem for that camera, repeat the switching to the remaining cameras. If "D" doesn't do it, try "C" . Remember to switch the receiver to "C" also.

michlea

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2007, 08:15:14 PM »

Any other suggestions?  I've already been through A, B, C, and finally D.  I'm on D now and still having the problem.... ??? ??? ???
Gonna Get 'em!

Michlea

HA Dave

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2007, 10:05:58 PM »

Any other suggestions?  I've already been through A, B, C, and finally D.  I'm on D now and still having the problem.... ??? ??? ???

Are you using active eye, or eagle eye motion sensors? Some sensors... I am not sure which can be set to only activate during night (dark).

Have you tried triggering the cameras during the day.... with a remote control?

michlea

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2007, 10:56:58 PM »

I am using eagle eye.  They can be set to see all the time or only at night.  Mine are set to see all the time.  The sensors trigger the cams day and night like they should, however, I get no picture from cam 1 & 2 during the day.

My Vcr is operating through my In and out jacks on my DVD recorder.  When the picture isn't clear I get the "No signal" or "unstable signal" message on my tv screen.  FYI - I can get the VCR commander to work on the dvd recorder as well, but I choose to set it up on the VCR incase I want to watch a DVD. The way I set it up I can record automatically on the VCR but Manually on the DVD recorder.

X10 techs say I probably have to purchase a noise filter...what are your thoughts on that?
Gonna Get 'em!

Michlea

HA Dave

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2007, 12:16:42 AM »

X10 techs say I probably have to purchase a noise filter...what are your thoughts on that?

They maybe right. But what would you filter? Filters plug in betwen the power supply, and the device that generates noise on the power line (which interupts the X10 Power Line Signal). What is on in the day... that is off at night?

You could try the cameras on extention cords.... and see if you can get them to "good" plugs. If that works....
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.