Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: good hidden locations for a camera  (Read 13490 times)

zorro

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
good hidden locations for a camera
« on: May 29, 2007, 03:47:10 AM »

Hi, I have a spy pinhole camera and have trouble hiding it as a result of the object's 4 protruding mini light bulbs near the corners of the front of the camera. Moreover, the component cables and battery sticks out at the back of the item.

The area I am going to place the camera is in my room. However, a person knows of my camera, and is able to open locked doors.

I am dealing with an intelligent person containing knowledge in espionage.

Please help.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: good hidden locations for a camera
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2007, 07:13:29 PM »

Buy yourself a picture frame, scan a favorite picture (girlfriend, mother, car) that has an area of dark in it.

Take the glass from the picture frame a have your local hardware store cut a plastic/polycarbonate (Lexan) or acrylic sheet (Plexiglas) replacement for it.

With the plastic and the picture in the frame, find a good place to drill a hole (dark area on the picture and a good area behind the frame to tape the camera). Mark the place to drill, remove the plastic and slowly and carefully drill the hole. Mark the picture and cut the hole.

Put it all back together and TAPE the camera to the back of the frame.

Home Automation is an always changing technology

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2007, 11:36:48 PM »

...Take the glass from the picture frame a have your local hardware store cut a plastic/polycarbonate (Lexan) or acrylic sheet (Plexiglas) replacement for it.

With the plastic and the picture in the frame, find a good place to drill a hole (dark area on the picture and a good area behind the frame to tape the camera). Mark the place to drill, remove the plastic and slowly and carefully drill the hole. Mark the picture and cut the hole.

Put it all back together and TAPE the camera to the back of the frame.
Have you made one of these? I'd love to see pics.
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

zorro

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2007, 02:54:01 AM »

Thanks for your suggestion, but I do not have access to these tools and equipment. I am wondering of an effective hidden area that involves simplicity and using a small budget.

My education in using spy gadgets and techniques is very low. I prefer an easy idea not including power tools, since my place won't allow using it. A plan using current items in my room would be great. The area I am going to place the camera is in my room, which is very small.

KDR

• Helpful Post Rating: 53
    • Home Automation Chat
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2007, 06:28:37 AM »

zorro ...    You may want to try and check local laws for your area. Placing hidden cameras in certain places could get you in trouble. Hidden cameras in places like bathrooms and bedrooms where it could see images of people in compromising situations could land you in big trouble with the law if caught. There was something on the news here a few weeks ago about a guy going to jail because he had a hidden cam inside a fake smoke detector placed in his house in his bathroom.

That said you could look into one of these smoke detector cams and place it outside your door to watch for anyone entering your room. I have seen them for sale somewhere and will post back here if I find the link.

----------------KDR
« Last Edit: May 30, 2007, 06:35:16 AM by KDR »
Note: "Guests" may read the X10 forum , but you must register to post!

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2007, 09:32:22 AM »

Quote from: steven r link=topic=12678.msg70459#msg70459 d[b
[/b]ate=1180496208]

Have you made one of these? I'd love to see pics.

>steven r

As you may know from reading here at the forum, I use "baby monitors" as part of the microphone set-up with BXVC[/b][/url]

Because I didn't want a "baby monitor" setting out in my living room, I looked for ways that could hide the device. The same configuration I described for zorro worked fine for the monitor. But as it turned out, The monitor works best for me turned away from the room.... facing a corner. This way it receives NO direct sound waves, only sound reflected off the the corner wall. Using the reflected idea allows me to nearly tune out the TV sound (as the TV is at the same end of the room, and projects it's sound away from the monitor).

So now the monitor simply sets behind a frame on an end table. Sorry I didn't take pictures.

Of course, NO VOICES, are ever recorded or even listened to (even through my camera system) as that is against the law in my state. Cameras are all placed in places where no reasonable person would have an expectation of privacy (public areas only) as it is not only the LAW... it's a GOOD LAW.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2007, 10:15:14 PM by Dave_x10_L »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

zorro

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2007, 04:00:00 AM »

The idea of placing a pinhole camera into a fake smoke detector sounds good,but would I have to drill some holes into the ceiling to make it work? Is there an alternative way to make it stick to the ceiling such as strong tape ?   Furthermore, would the reception be blocked because of the camera's position?

My monitoring area is only my bedroom and I am not trying to evade someone's privacy. The objective is to catch a person doing a wrongful act.

I am also thinking about purchasing an ipod-looking monitor that is able to transmit and record wireless video footage from a spy pinhole camera and set the other one in the same location as before to avoid suspicion. But before this plan is put into place, a hidden area is first needed for success.

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2007, 10:34:00 AM »

...My monitoring area is only my bedroom and I am not trying to evade someone's privacy. The objective is to catch a person doing a wrongful act....
Honest honey this smoke detector is for your safety not to watch what you're doing while I'm not here. ? ? ? ?
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

gil shultz

• Helpful Post Rating: 4
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2007, 09:54:24 PM »

Why not just get a second camera since the person already knows yours.  Let him find it operating; he will then disable it and do his thing.  I do not think he will be looking for a second system. When you come back you have the pictures.

Good Luck
Gil Shultz

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.