Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: DVR card or Quad Processor?  (Read 5484 times)

cswca

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
DVR card or Quad Processor?
« on: June 07, 2007, 03:49:45 PM »

I am new to this and have read enough on this forum and did enough searches to realize I need additional hardware to view all four cams live on my computer at the same time (residential use).  I am going with (4) hardwired cameras, probably the ones from from Walmart with IR (Q-SEE CMOS Color Camera w/ Night Vision) because I have heard the wireless reception can be a PITA and because all wireless cams operate off of 2.4G and other devices that operate on the same frequency can interfere and you can only view one wireless camera at the same time.  My question is, in order to view all four of my cameras at once on my computer monitor, should I use a 4 channel DVR card that plugs into my PCI slot on my computer, or should I use a quad processor in conjuntion with the USB Video Capture Adapter (VA11A) for my (4) hardwired cameras.  I also plan on using AHP and Iwatch in conjuntion with everything and will have atleast two of the cams on the Ninja Robotic Camera Mounts .  What are some of the advantages or disadvantages.  I think one advantage right off of the bat with the DVR Card would be that they have the ability to compare frames and start recording video if movement is detected (difference in one frame to the next)

-Thanks in advance

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: DVR card or Quad Processor?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2007, 05:23:53 PM »

A DVR card won't work with the AHP video plugin!
So if you plan to view and use AHP to send the files via email or notify you some how it won't work :(
The Quad processor might be the way to go in that case!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

KDR

• Helpful Post Rating: 53
    • Home Automation Chat
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2007, 05:39:13 PM »

Tuicemen is right about the DVR card. A plus with using the Quad Processor and the VA11A is that you can add a video switch between the Quad and the VA11A and redirect the output directly into a TV and depending on the unit program the channel output.

As far as Ninja's go I wouldn't have a cam without one... (most likely not). The thing you need to test and plan on is the RF reception of the Ninja and your remote or AHP controls. The location of your CM15A with regards to the antenna may be critical for 100% operation. Be sure to test the location where the ninja will be, using the full rotation side to side and up and down. Also watch out for big metal objects between the transmitter and the ninja.

----------------KDR
« Last Edit: June 07, 2007, 05:41:27 PM by KDR »
Note: "Guests" may read the X10 forum , but you must register to post!

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

cswca

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2007, 08:19:27 PM »

I appreciate the follow-ups and the information in this forum has been very helpful.  So far I have ordered the ActiveHome Pro Home Automation Starter Kit with iWatchOut Camera Monitoring Software Module plus FREE Bonus: USB Video Capture Adapter and EagleEye Motion Sensor and plan on using the following:

1  ActiveHome Professional Computer Interface and USB Cable (CM15A)   
1  NEW EagleEye Motion Sensor (MS14A)    $24.99
1  ActiveHome Professional Software (SW31A)     
1  iWatchOut Camera Monitoring Software Module for ActiveHome Pro (SW33A)
1  USB Video Capture Adapter (VA11A)
4  Hardwired Cameras
2  Ninja Robotic Camera Mounts
1  Quad Processor
-------------------------------

What brand Quad Processor do you all recommend for my setup and is there any thing else that I might need to bring all of the above together.  I have been doing just a small amount of reading on the AHP and iwatchout software so I reallydont know the full potential but have been reading about setting up macros and stuff.  For right now my goals are to bring the aforementioned software and hardware together, get the ninjas online, and Learn how to operate and setup macros or conditions.

- Thanks in advance

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2007, 08:38:22 PM »

While your waiting for your hardware read the AHP "Help and Trouble Shooting section" ! It is full of helpful stuff! ;)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

KDR

• Helpful Post Rating: 53
    • Home Automation Chat
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2007, 08:55:17 PM »

cswca you should be able to do a search and find a ton of them in a wide range of prices. Be sure to check Ebay as well since you can find some really great deals there. I'm in the market for one myself and if I come across something I will post back here.

I think you can expect to pay around 200 plus for a good one.

----------------KDR
Note: "Guests" may read the X10 forum , but you must register to post!

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

cswca

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2007, 09:06:04 PM »

cswca you should be able to do a search and find a ton of them in a wide range of prices. Be sure to check Ebay as well since you can find some really great deals there. I'm in the market for one myself and if I come across something I will post back here.

I think you can expect to pay around 200 plus for a good one.

----------------KDR

Thanks Tuicemen and KDR for your help thus far, and KDR I will be sure to do the same if I come across any good deals; as long as there is more than one left  ;)

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.