Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Using a Camera Poser Supply to provide low-voltage X10 control  (Read 5934 times)

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
Using a Camera Poser Supply to provide low-voltage X10 control
« on: September 22, 2011, 12:39:38 PM »

When I bought my wireless cameras back in 2005, I bought the Ninja bases with them. Since the camera plugs into the Ninja base, I didn't use the power supplies that came with the cameras (I used the Ninja power supply to power the Ninja AND the camera).
I just sold the cameras (I wasn't using them anymore), but I still have those two original "camera-only" power supplies.

If I remember correctly from what I read, the power supply switches power on and off to the camera when activated by an X10 RF signal.
If that's correct, does that mean I can use the camera power supply to give me an X10-controlled low-voltage power supply? I understand that I might run into issues with any devices that might be in the same "camera groups" (1-4, 5-8, 9-12, 13-16), but would it work? Has anyone done this before?
I'm not sure what I would use it for yet, now I need to find a project for it...

I don't have one of the power supplies with me, but does anyone happen to know the DC voltage they output?

Thanks
--Noam

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: Using a Camera Poser Supply to provide low-voltage X10 control
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2011, 12:50:10 PM »

Ninja Base:
http://kbase.x10.com/wiki/XM14A

Camera alone:
http://kbase.x10.com/wiki/XM13A

The ring is switched. The tip is constant and the sleeve is common return.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 12:54:09 PM by Brian H »

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
Re: Using a Camera Poser Supply to provide low-voltage X10 control
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2011, 01:10:37 PM »

Thanks.
That's exactly what I was looking for (I always forget about the X10 Wiki).

Any project ideas of what I can use it for?

I was thinking of converting my solar house numbers to dc-power (since they stop recharging after about 2 years, and I have more than a complete set of non-working ones). If I use this to power them, I can have the LEDs come on at the same time as my outside lights.

--Noam

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.