Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Refrigerator Door sensor  (Read 6594 times)

B.A.

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
Refrigerator Door sensor
« on: September 28, 2011, 02:21:26 PM »

Has anyone used a DS10A for this?

Our fridge door doesn't close fully on its own (can't be adjusted....long story) and "someone" :' keeps leaving it open overnight or for
hours on end. It's a newer one with a built in alarm, but it's not very loud and the door can be shut enough to make the switch and
turn off the light (thus shutting off the alarm) but is still open a few inches.

I need to integrate this into my X10 system. I already have a pretty good idea of what I will do, but
just wanted to see if I could get some more good ideas here.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
Re: Refrigerator Door sensor
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2011, 02:45:21 PM »

$0.02
1. Magnetic window switch OR micro switch mounted inside? Micro switch would be hardest to mount and adjust, but would probably be more precise than mag switch.
2. Copper metal foil forming a closed loop switch. One inch piece glued to door frame and mating piece glued to door gasket. Small gage stranded wire soldered to each piece wired to your X10 signalling device.

I think the switches in #1 may have enough slop that might still allow the door to be cracked. #2 is about as fool proof as I can think of.  If the two foils are not touching, indicating door gasket is not pressed against door frame you will get an indication that the door was not colsed tightly. I think if you used small gage stranded wire, or even "flat wire" you could route it outside the refridge door on the hinge side without deforming the door gasket. I am guessing the DS10 can not be mounted inside the refridge since it is likely to block all RF when closed.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 05:04:55 PM by dave w »
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Tesla

• Helpful Post Rating: 4
Re: Refrigerator Door sensor
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2011, 04:20:41 PM »

Has anyone used a DS10A for this?

Our fridge door doesn't close fully on its own (can't be adjusted....long story) and "someone" :' keeps leaving it open overnight or for
hours on end. It's a newer one with a built in alarm, but it's not very loud and the door can be shut enough to make the switch and
turn off the light (thus shutting off the alarm) but is still open a few inches.

I need to integrate this into my X10 system. I already have a pretty good idea of what I will do, but
just wanted to see if I could get some more good ideas here.

Micro-leaf switch (perfectly adjusted) mounted on top of the fridge (mostly out-of-sight for WAF) at the point of the door with the most "throw". So, for a side-by-side it would be near the middle of the fridge. That's your signal ... then connect whatever to interface.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.