Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Using the MS14A EagleEye sensor  (Read 4236 times)

nklght

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
Using the MS14A EagleEye sensor
« on: June 18, 2007, 02:29:03 AM »

I know the EagleEye MS14A can detect motion and dusk/dawn set to different channels.  Can I set up my sensors to when it is dusk or dark and activity occurs to turn on the lights, I have a room that I would like to automate.  Also, can I set up seperate sensors, that one can determine that it is dark outside, and the other notice motion in a room, and turn the lights on to a pre-set level.  I want my lights to turn on and off automatically, when needed; and dusk to dawn operation doesn't apply, nor does the motion setting.   

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: Using the MS14A EagleEye sensor
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2007, 08:19:52 AM »

Your motion sensor is a Basic RF sending device you can't program any logic into it!
However with AHP and the Smartmacros you can set up a macro to run if it is dark and not if it is light out! ;)
the SmartMacros Plug-in will allow many conditionals to be used You won't need 2 sensors (one for sensing if it is dark and one for motion) the sensor sends One command at dark and one when light is detected on the next unit number up! It also sends a on command when motion is detected and a off when the programed delay is met with out detecting any motion (this is sent on the unit number you program it for)!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2007, 07:27:44 PM »

Tuicemen is right!

You could probably get similar results as what your looking for, by using the activeye motion sensor and the mini-timer plug-in remote. However.... you would be spending MORE than just purchasing the AHP.

I resisted getting the AHP myself...... only to wish I had done it sooner.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

nklght

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2007, 05:11:05 AM »

I meant to ask if I could use one sensor to determine if it is dusk or dawn, and also use the same sensor to detect motion.  I have several rooms in my house with windows, which recive plenty of light during the day, but at night it would be nice to have the lights come on automatically when a person walks in.  I can set up the EagleEye sensor for dusk to dawn operation, and motion detection, can I have the same sensor operate, with the use of AHP to turn on a light when it is dark and motion is detected.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2007, 10:13:11 AM »

I meant to ask if I could use one sensor to determine if it is dusk or dawn, and also use the same sensor to detect motion. 

Yep.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Boiler

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2007, 02:23:13 PM »

I meant to ask if I could use one sensor to determine if it is dusk or dawn, and also use the same sensor to detect motion.

The MS14a will report motion at it's assigned address and dusk/dawn at the assigned address+1.  You can't stop the dusk/dawn feature unless you disable/obscure the light sensor in the unit.

Are you trying to determine the amount of ambient light outside or in a particular room?

Either way, be very careful with the placement of your dusk/dawn sensor.  It's difficult to find an ambient sensor location in your home that isn't affected by your interior lights.  If it's outside, you'll need it in a location where it's not affected by your outside lights or headlamps.

I live in northern Indiana (I can throw a rock into Michigan) where we have some very dark days.  I've tried various configurations with the MS14a (and other sensors) to measure ambient light and trigger lights.  I wanted a system that would determine the ambient light in a "reference location" on a overcast day and enable my occupancy sensors.  These configurations invariably "broke" when things were re-arranged in the house. 

I have since reverted to simple scheduled events ( dusk - x hours for interior, dusk for exterior ) due to the lower maintenance. 

I am not saying that an interior ambient light sensor can't be accomplished.  If you have a stable (things don't move around) location shielded from interior lighting, you could tune the system to respond to dark days.  In my house, this would require a "light box" where I could control the light entry and shield the sensor from interior lights.  I actually contemplated this, but was overruled by the boss (She was correct - it would have been obtrusive). 

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.