Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Help with RFID Implementation!!!!  (Read 4851 times)

WhYuLoOkIn

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Help with RFID Implementation!!!!
« on: June 29, 2007, 05:45:10 PM »

Hi, I want to know if there is anyone who can direct me in the right direction, I am trying to implement Rfid technology with the X10 technology. What I want to happen is instead of using a remote control to control lamps, or just outlets itself I want to be able to use Rfid tags and readers. exp: I walk into my office wave my tag by an rfid reader and the lamp comes on.

Please help I have a good understanding of the Java and C++ language and would really appreciate your help, Thank You.

gil shultz

• Helpful Post Rating: 4
Re: Help with RFID Implementation!!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2007, 10:30:40 PM »

Good Evening,

Why not use a motion sensor it would be tons cheaper.  You are going to need some type of computer to read the information coming from the RFID reader.  Remember each tag typically gives a different code so you need to consider that. 

I use a motion sensor mounted in the ceiling above my chair in my lab and have it set for eight minutes.  The transceiver has a plug strip plugged into it and I plug my soldering iron, lamps and heat gun into it.  When I get there things come on and I just leave knowing things will turn off.

For me this works real well.  I have motion sensors setting on picture frames etc, they are easy to hide.

Good Luck
Gil Shultz

WhYuLoOkIn

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2007, 11:53:19 AM »

Actually that's the effect im trying to get that you have with your motion sensors, but I want that to happen with Rfid tech, ex: I walk into the room and whatever my setting are set to, the lamp comes on and the computer comes on. My wife walks into the room and her setting are set to making the radio come on or opening the electric blinds and thats the action that takes place. Im trying to integrate the x10 and rfid technology, what your advice on that?

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2007, 02:39:46 PM »

I know very little about the RFID technology. But your question intrigued me and I did a little Internet searching.

Of course this is a software issue. You will need to create a software that uses information collected by your reader and converts it to commands in X10's AHP (Active Home Pro).
There are other users that have done similar things in Third Party Add-Ons and Software.

X10 provides a SDK for the AHP interface.

Another technology that I think could also be exploited for occupancy identification is bluetooth. Using bluetooth enabled cell phones (and a PC dongle) could allow a home to identify a near limitless number of people. In combination with the BVC system I use now could provide automatic and customized events, based on bluetooth ID, timers, conditions (conditionals), and voice commands.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2007, 10:04:25 PM by Dave_x10_L »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2007, 03:37:26 PM »

Could Bill's voice automation program be customized for his application?
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2007, 06:14:13 PM »

Could Bill's voice automation program be customized for his application?

I don't know. But BVC is a great example of a creative use of the SDK for AHP.

I had purchased a bluetooth headset (tiny ear-piece) and (PC) USB bluetooth dongle when I was trying different method's of getting my voice the Bill's Voice Commander. It worked great, but I wasn't interested in the comm-badge approach. I, from time-to-time, now use the headset with my BT (enabled) cell Phone.

It was interesting to see how the bluetooth procol worked. I think the BT technology (with the right software) could be intergraded into AHP, triggering macro's and/or satisfying conditionals. I have also discussed the idea with both Bill and Tuicemen.

I have gone as far as downloading the SDK's (MS & AHP) and have purchased a book (on Visual BASIC). But, thats as far as I have gotten.... and may be as far as I ever get. But I "THINK" a program (similar to the one that came with the USB dongle) that could see my cell-phone and also "talk" with AHP could bring a lot to HA. Since BVC "listens" for X10 signals (through the AHP) intergrating BVC should only be a matter of setup.

I am not saying that Bluetooth would be in anyway better than RFID.

P.S. If someone else would like to take my idea of bluetooth talking with the AHP.... and write a program. PLEASE DO THAT!
« Last Edit: October 28, 2007, 10:03:00 PM by Dave_x10_L »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

gil shultz

• Helpful Post Rating: 4
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2007, 12:57:38 AM »

Good Evening,
I would suggest before you go to far down the RFID/Bluetooth path look at “Bluetooth/802.11 Protocol Adaptation for RFID Tags By Raj Bridgelall” It gives an overview of what may be in the future. You did not mention active RFID so I assumed you would use the passive (cheep) units.  There are currently discussions etc for using active systems as well.  RFID started out as a simple system but like most electronic systems it is expanding way beyond the original purpose.

RFID identification is a relatively new technology that will become wide spread.  The tag is like an electronic serial (identification) number.  The actual data is in an external data base and is referenced with the tag identification number. RFID tags will be applied to every-day items in order to yield great productivity gains or "smart" applications for both the manufacturer and the users. However, as the  usage of RFID tags increases it opens up the possibility for various attacks violating user privacy.

Remember just because you leave the store the RFID tag does not turn off; most cannot.
Gil Shultz

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.