Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What do I need to control this lighting situation?  (Read 2795 times)

porkfat

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
What do I need to control this lighting situation?
« on: July 02, 2007, 07:02:43 PM »

I have a vanity light in my bathroom that holds 4 stinking bulbs. Am I going to need 4 socket rockets for this one fixture?

I was thinking of getting 1 set of the "4 for 1" deal of the slimline switches, and 2 sets of the "4 for 1" socket rockets to control the lighting in my house.

Is there anything else I need. I'm guessing I need a 12.99 transceiver but is that all I need to program the socket rockets?

What is the process for associating certain buttons on the slim line wall switches to the socket rockets?

Thanks!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: What do I need to control this lighting situation?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2007, 07:48:30 PM »

Sounds (reads) like your on your way!

If your 4 bulbs are on a switch, you could control the lights with an X10 light switch.

The SlimLine switches are easy to program (though not my favorite remote because of it's lack of range). You program the house code, and the top buttons unit code. each button below that is house/unit code +1, +2, +3.

However you start with X10 you will find it fun, and addictive.

I started with a "starter kit" (all I'd ever need) to automate the lighting in my Home Theater. Now I have X10 nearly everywhere and control it with Voice Commands using BVC (Bill's Voice Commander).
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 12:06:16 AM by Dave_x10_L »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

porkfat

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2007, 10:58:00 PM »

I was thinking of getting a switch but all of the light switches in this apartment are either double switches or a switch/fan dial combination. The bathroom has a double switch that controls the lights and fan.

The reason I need to use the slim switch for this application is the bozo who wired it put the light switch next to the door hinges instead of the knob side so you have to open the door into the bathroom, walk in, close the door and then turn on the light.

If I had the slim switch I could put a swith where it belongs.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2007, 11:00:31 PM by porkfat »

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2007, 05:06:13 PM »

The reason I need to use the slim switch for this application is the bozo who wired it put the light switch next to the door hinges instead of the knob side so you have to open the door into the bathroom, walk in, close the door and then turn on the light.

If I had the slim switch I could put a swith where it belongs.

Yep I know just what you mean! My daughters apartment has a similar arrangement and I put a SlimLine in for her.

I also gave her a 4 button Credit Card Controller (KR22A) - keychain type remote, that she carries with her keys. A bedside PalmPad, and a livingroom plug-in (hard to lose) remote. Since her apartment also has a backdoor with a storm door, I mounted a motion sensor between the two doors. So a light turns on automatically when she enters.

Home automation isn't just fun.... it can also solve problems and provide convenience, and safety.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

gil shultz

• Helpful Post Rating: 4
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2007, 10:22:01 PM »

Have you considered changing the hinge side? Sometimes it is easy other times it is not.

I have moved switches in the past.  If that is not feasible why not just replace the switch  a X-10 switch and put the remote wall switch on the other side.  You probably will have to change the batteries every year or so but that is a simple fix.  You may have to put a box adjacent to the original and connect between them with a piece of romex wire.  A little work but it can be done and then you have a separate switch for the fan and the light.  The lamp switch could be modified to drive the fan motor then both switches are on both sides of the door.

If you modify a switch be sure you know what you are doing, if you mess up  somebody could be hurt and/or a fire started.

Gil Shultz

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.