Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: CM15A has me stumped...  (Read 15173 times)

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: CM15A has me stumped...
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2007, 06:09:04 PM »

When I get the CR234 installed I will post findings. I have seen others say it is s good unit.

bmize13

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2007, 10:15:03 PM »

To me, there's not much that's more frustrating than *finally* coming across a thread that discusses the EXACT issue you are experiencing, then getting to the end only to find out that the OP never responded back with their "fix"...  I'm not sure, but I think that's cause for corporal punishment in some third-world countries. :D

I don't post much here, but I do read alot, and have found many answers to my questions just by browsing.  It's a great resource, to be sure!

Boiler

« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2007, 10:29:17 PM »

bmize13,

Unfortunately many of the "me" generation fix (or don't) their problem and just go silently into the night (without so much as a thought about the other forum members).  Thanks again for not being one of these people.

TakeTheActive

• Helpful Post Rating: 126
  • Old !@#$% Tinkerer!
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2007, 11:16:09 PM »

Unfortunately many of the " me " Generation fix (or don't) their problem and just go silently into the night (without so much as a thought about the other forum members)...

HEY! :o That's *MY* Catch-All Phrase for that ' annoying ' generation of folks!!! :P

" me! ", " me! ", " me! ", " me! ", " me! ", " me! ", " me! ", " me! ", " me " :P
Low Post Count != Low Knowledge - High Post Count != High Knowledge ;)

ADVICE TO X-10 NEWBIES FROM AN X-10 OLD-TIMER

gdkramer

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2007, 10:36:46 PM »

Whoa, this is freaky, so many people suddenly experiencing the firestorm problem all of the sudden. Mine started a couple of weeks ago, out of the blue, my X10 system quit turning on and off lights. I reset my CM15A, still had the problems, bought a whole house power line filter (install over neutral wire in breaker box and connect to neutral, and both sides of the split-phase. Still no help. So it wasn't external signals coming in. Then I installed a XPCR, and unplugged my SignaLinc 4816B2 that is when all hell broke loose. The system started working again on most circuits. Then I noticed in my activity log in AHP the firestorm. Started reading on the internet that the CM15A and XPCR do not cohabitate. The CM15A is a 2-way device that initiates a firestorm and the XPCR keeps repeating. So I disconnected the XPCR and no longer have my 4816B2 plugged in, and I not have a good portion of my system back. I have no clue on what suddenly caused the 4816B2 to start jamming signals and am upset I wasted money on buying the XPCR that will not work properly with the CM15A. I have an X10 signal strength meter on it's way, would love to get my system back to normal. I've been an X10 home for over 20 years now and feel lost without full control.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2007, 11:06:11 PM »

Whoa, this is freaky, so many people suddenly experiencing the firestorm problem all of the sudden. Mine started a couple of weeks ago, out of the blue, ...................................................

Not so sure it's all that freaky. I am kinda "old-fashioned" in some ways.....  In the past few weeks have UN-plugged (many) devices several times as lighting storms pasted through my area. Lighting may always be a plague to our electronic devices.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

gdkramer

« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2007, 11:59:34 PM »

No Dave, a "firestorm" is not lightening storm, but a continuous loop. An X10 signal getting caught in a neverending repeating loop. Let's say for example: "M3 on" over and over again. That is a "firestorm" or a "signal storm".

My problems did not start with any weather related storms.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2007, 06:59:45 AM »

Got my CR234 installed over the weekend. Not had a lot of time for extended tests, but the one thing I know has changed. An LM14A or AM14A two way module; when first connected no longer start a firestorm of X10 data on the powerlines as it did with my Smarthome repeater.
At present I do not have a in service CM15A so that never was a part of the equation as the LM14A or AM14A fought with the old repeater all by themselves.

Walt2

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 28
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2007, 07:50:39 AM »

I have no clue on what suddenly caused the 4816B2 to start jamming signals ...

Yea, as I mentioned, my SignaLinc 4826 did the same thing, and I was quite disappointed.  I had my hopes on it solving all my X10 signal problems being it was both a phase coupler, and a "smart" signal strength repeater/amp.

I went back to my old passive coupler, and I added a BoosterLinc 4827 into the outlet right next to my breaker box.  I have not had any problems with the 4827 causing any "firestorms" even with status from my 2-way lamp modules.  The BoosterLinc solved all my X10 PLC communication problems within my house.

My biggest problem with the Smarthome SignalLinc was that I quickly found out that Smarthome doesn't provide any support unless you buy their Smarthome branded products directly from them.  >:(

« Last Edit: July 10, 2007, 07:54:55 AM by Walt2 »
* Sears Home Control System, Radio Shack Plug 'n Power, NuTone, Stanley LightMaker, BSR, HomeLink.
* Tecmar Device Master, CP290 (LightHouse), CM11A (AH), CM14A (AH2), CM15A (AHPro).

Geewiz

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2008, 03:29:41 PM »

... Started reading on the internet that the CM15A and XPCR do not cohabitate. The CM15A is a 2-way device that initiates a firestorm and the XPCR keeps repeating.

Just came across this post and the comment that the XPCR and CM15A are NOT compatible.  Can't find any search related info and am wondering if anyone has any solid info on this claim?

I ordered a XPCR and am awaiting its delivery so I can install it..actually had to return the first one because it was DOA.  I've taken some photos of my installation to accompany a "how to" guide that some may find helpful when doing a DIY installation.  I'll post that once I finalize the install and get some experience on its effectiveness.

gdkramer

« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2008, 03:43:17 PM »

I had to uninstall the XPCR. It caused what is referrer to as a "firestorm" or a signal storm. The CM15A is a 2 way device. The XPCR takes the received signal and repeats it. The CM15A sees that signal and resends it. Causing a neverending loop.
The XPCR is a waste of money if you have 2 way controllers. Sorry.  I learned from experience.  By the way, watch out for cheap compact fluorescent lamps. They can block signals.
Pages: 1 [2]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.