Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Remote control switch for 2 speed 230V pump motor  (Read 3682 times)

GBM

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Remote control switch for 2 speed 230V pump motor
« on: July 07, 2007, 03:06:50 PM »

Hi All,

I'm new to home automation and need advice. My 1st project is a 2 speed 230V motor for a spa pump. I woulld like to install a remote to control the motor, off/on, Lo spd, Hi spd or perhaps just Hi and Lo spd.  It calls for a manual toggle switch located on the motor to control the speed. The motor is about 20 ft. from the spa. I queried X10 a while back with no response. Perhaps someone in the blogisphere can guide me to the appropriate X10 product if any.

Thanks,

GBM

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
Re: Remote control switch for 2 speed 230V pump motor
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2007, 05:39:52 PM »

You're taking on big "1st project". That said, it is possible. You might want to search the forum for some of the drapery projects. I think a similar approach might work.

It will require some rewiring and you will need to approach it as 2 parts.
  • ON/OFF
  • LO/HIGH

To get you started thinking and till someone can come up with a drawing anyway, I suggest thinking in terms a relay controlled by an X10 module to replace the "LO/HIGH" function. You may need to do the same for the power also but you might be able to use a 220V module. Does anyone make a 220 volt inline switch?

BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2007, 06:32:47 PM »

Elk makes a heavy duty X10 signal controlled wired in device. 30 Amp so overkill for this project.
http://www.elkproducts.com/products/elk-9100.htm

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2007, 06:41:46 PM »

GBM: Brian's suggestion of the Elk-9100 wired in controller would be a much better choice than a plugin module.
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

gil shultz

• Helpful Post Rating: 4
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2007, 01:58:56 AM »

Good Evening,

Why not buy two 115V relays rated for your spa pump motor.  The high and low would use one form c (one pole normally open/normally closed) contact set on the relay. This replaces the High/Low switch.  Then use the NO (Normally Open) contact on the second relay this becomes your on and off.  The X10 modules will of course be connected to 115VAC.  Be careful the potential of killing your self or somebody in the spa is a definite possibility if you wire it wrong.  If this is not protected by a GFCI interrupter install that before using the spa.  If you are not comfortable working with this type of power then don't!

This is just a guess as to what you have.  I am assuming that this is all single phase and can be done with one contact.  If more are needed chose the appropriate relays.  This must be in a electrical box for safety reasons. 

Good Luck
Gil Shultz

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.