Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: Latest Version of the LM465 Now Has "SoftStart"?!?  (Read 274618 times)

Boiler

Re: Latest Version of the LM465 Now Has "SoftStart"?!?
« Reply #60 on: November 18, 2007, 12:22:58 AM »

I see this thread is a few months old so maybe this is old information, but I just asked X10 support about this.  I asked if I order a LM465 today will it have "Softstart".  The answer was Yes...

It looks like tech support is still clueless.  I got my LM465 today and it does not appear to have SoftStart (On command does not ramp up, does not respond to the extended dim commands).  The date code is 07137.  Looks like I wasted my money since SoftStart was the only reason I bought it.

EDIT: I thought I was in luck when I got the order confirmation.  The SKU was LM465-S (I thought maybe the -S meant SoftStart) while the SKU on my previous order last year was LM465-HA.  But the box looks the same as always, no -S.

wazkaren,

Thanks for the data point on the LM465 (and the date code).  Sounds like X10 is still stirring the pot. 

As a first step, call and get a RMA.  You did not receive the "advertised" product. 

If you choose not to go for a replacement (roll the dice again), you might give X10Pro a try.  In general they're a bit more adept and responsive.

Boiler

wazkaren

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #61 on: November 20, 2007, 10:01:35 PM »

Well I have to say I've had very good luck with X10 technical support.  I sent an e-mail and explained that my LM465 did not have softstart.  They were surprised that it did not and sent me an RMA to replace it.  I'll replay back when I get the replacement.

Greg

Aquadeveloper

« Reply #62 on: November 26, 2007, 01:31:04 PM »

Charles,

As to the:

"How nice of X-10 to make a radical change in a product's characteristics without changing the model number.  .........."

That would take additional departments to change the part number in their files and database.
This way it just makes US have to keep track.

:(

wazkaren

« Reply #63 on: December 17, 2007, 05:40:14 PM »

Well three weeks after X10 received my RMA I finally got my replacement LM465.  Not that it matters because this one does NOT have soft start either.  The date code of this one is 07344.

Just to make sure I'm doing this right here's what I did to test: I added this module as an LM14a in AHP.  It will turn on and off but does not dim.  I double checked the log and it is sending an extended command for the dimming.  And the on command does not ramp up.  If I add it as an LM465 it will dim but turns on to 100% first and then dims down.  Do I have this right?

X10 has outlasted me and now I just give up.

Greg

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #64 on: December 17, 2007, 07:13:59 PM »

If it does not ramp up and down with on and off commands it is an older version. Date Codes don't seem to mean much. As there where earlier ones in 07 that have it and some later 07s didn't. My 07G27s do not.

Charles Sullivan

• Helpful Post Rating: 94
    • HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OSX
« Reply #65 on: December 17, 2007, 08:43:05 PM »

If it does not ramp up and down with on and off commands it is an older version. Date Codes don't seem to mean much. As there where earlier ones in 07 that have it and some later 07s didn't. My 07G27s do not.

wazkaren:
Are you sure you read the date code sticker correctly?  For many years X-10 has used a date code with a one or two digit year followed by a letter code followed by a two digit number, e.g., Brian's 07G27.

It's not clear whether X-10 located a a supply of the older microcontroller chips and is continuing to manufacture the older design or has backed off and reprogrammed their new microcontroller to have the original characteristics.

For the LM465 units I have, the older design circuit board has a dual inline (DIP) IC on the same side of the board as the other components.  The new "soft start" design has a surface mount IC on the back side of the board.  If recently purchased LM465 have the original characteristics but the surface mount IC on the back of the board, that might resolve the question.

It'd be unfortunate if X-10 has backed off and reverted to the original characteristics with the new microcontroller for the LM465.  The  "soft start" design LM465 adds some nice features and it is for the most part compatible with the older design.

(The major problem was/is with the WS467 Wall Switch module redesign, where one particular characteristic makes it incompatible with the older design insofar as control by AHP  and other software is concerned.)

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.
X10 on Windows is like that.

HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OS X     http://www.heyu.org

wazkaren

« Reply #66 on: December 17, 2007, 08:57:02 PM »

wazkaren:
Are you sure you read the date code sticker correctly?  For many years X-10 has used a date code with a one or two digit year followed by a letter code followed by a two digit number, e.g., Brian's 07G27.

Charles, right you are.  My eyes aren't what they used to be.  When I look closer it's 07J44.  But it still doesn't appear to have soft start. 

Greg

Charles Sullivan

« Reply #67 on: December 17, 2007, 10:09:19 PM »

wazkaren:

Charles, right you are.  My eyes aren't what they used to be.  When I look closer it's 07J44.  But it still doesn't appear to have soft start. 

Greg

Thanks Greg.  I've edited my previous message:
 http://www.x10community.com/forums/index.php?topic=13006.msg74885#msg74885
to add this new data point to the list.

If anyone else has old versus new LM465 date codes to share, we would like to hear about them.

It'd be nice if we got some input from X-10 about what's going on, but I doubt that will ever happen.

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #68 on: December 18, 2007, 06:50:41 AM »

Almost sounds like they used the newer surface mounted PCB and redid the firmware in it to the older standard.

Charles Sullivan

« Reply #69 on: December 18, 2007, 10:05:41 AM »

Almost sounds like they used the newer surface mounted PCB and redid the firmware in it to the older standard.

Brian:
I don't recall whether you've mentioned opening up your 07G27 LM465 to check the PCB.  Have you done this?

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #70 on: December 18, 2007, 02:08:14 PM »

Yes old DIP style chip PCB.

Charles Sullivan

« Reply #71 on: December 18, 2007, 03:58:45 PM »

Yes old DIP style chip PCB.

I suspect wazkaren's LM465 is probably the same thing then.

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.

wazkaren

« Reply #72 on: December 18, 2007, 04:58:37 PM »

If I can find a screwdriver that fits I'll take a look. 

Greg

wazkaren

« Reply #73 on: December 18, 2007, 05:15:38 PM »

Unfortunately I don't have the right screwdriver and I managed to strip the lower screw using a driver that's too small.  By prying it open a little I can see the back of the board and I don't see any surface mount.  But I could be wrong, it's hard to see in the small opening.

Greg

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #74 on: December 18, 2007, 07:00:41 PM »

Maybe older stuff left over from when Radio Shack dumped the product line. Black and Decker did also and my local job lot store had the B&D Lamp; Appliance and Outside Lamp modules in the blister packs for $5.00 each and they are 100% X10 controllable. They also had the Messenger Hub transceiver but you need a B&D remote to use that.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.