Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: [BUG?] Latest Batch of WS467s Function Differently From Previous Versions...  (Read 50251 times)

Boiler

The functional problem with them and the dimming feature is the time to enable or disable the dimming function...

You press the button, but hold it just a fraction too long your lights are half way on. To get them to be full bright again, you have to tap the switch to turn it off. Then press and hold the switch until the lights are all the way bright again, otherwise they're now "preset" to whatever LUX you were getting with them dimmed. Oh, and the reverse applies too if you turn them off.

So, in short, turning *on* the lights just turned into a 10+ second procedure and ordeal.

If they wanted to integrate the dimming function into the physical interface, I would HIGHLY recommend a different form factor. Otherwise, people will get frustrated.

Assuming this is a "new" hardware version - this sounds somewhat similar to a firmware problem that Smarthome is/was having with their relay switches. 
Theory-
The firmware samples in switch contact for X period of time in order to de-bounce the switch.  If an on command is confirmed, sampling continues for Y period (total time X+Y) and the PLC interprets the the command as a bright/dim.  In this case the X+Y time doesn't appear to be long enough (too easy to enter the bright/dim mode).

I agree that the dimming feature doesn't seem appropriate with a push button style switch.  Maybe X10 included a "disable" feature and the documentation hasn't caught up?

keyboardgnome

• Helpful Post Rating: 0

.... so - do 2 'quick taps' work for your version? ;)

I'll try this tonight and report back. Thanks.

Doesnt work like you had suggested. It still dims.

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10

.... so - do 2 'quick taps' work for your version? ;)
I'll try this tonight and report back. Thanks.
Doesnt work like you had suggested. It still dims.
If it dims with just a tap, it might truly be a defective switch. I'd love to see the the board inside but of course that would void the warranty. I'm looking forward to seeing how the replacement ones work.

keyboardgnome: Write down any numbers and letters you find on those dimming ones particularly if it has a little round number/letter sticker on the back. I believe that is a date code. e.g. I just pulled 4 of my spares out of their boxes. 3 had the code "06H35" and one had the code "05K48". I believe the first pair of numbers indicate the year.
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

TakeTheActive

• Helpful Post Rating: 126
  • Old !@#$% Tinkerer!

...Nope- I'm one of these folks who's a jack of all trades and a master of nothing...

I would imagine that most of the "Old Geezers" here are like that - it takes one of those "creative, multi-talented" minds to get X10 working... :D

Please visit: GUESTS/LURKERS: Why Don't You Register (and Become NEWBIEs)?  (Read 22775 times) and add your "Intro[/size]".
Low Post Count != Low Knowledge - High Post Count != High Knowledge ;)

ADVICE TO X-10 NEWBIES FROM AN X-10 OLD-TIMER

TakeTheActive

• Old !@#$% Tinkerer!

If it dims with just a tap, it might truly be a defective switch. I'd love to see the the board inside but of course that would void the warranty. I'm looking forward to seeing how the replacement ones work.

keyboardgnome: Write down any numbers and letters you find on those dimming ones particularly if it has a little round number/letter sticker on the back. I believe that is a date code. e.g. I just pulled 4 of my spares out of their boxes. 3 had the code "06H35" and one had the code "05K48". I believe the first pair of numbers indicate the year.

Say Boiler,

If keyboardgnome supplies the Date Codes, how about adding this to the "X10 Module Firmware Revision History" Database?

Has anyone supplied any Date Codes for the "new" SoftStart LM465s?

TakeTheActive

• Old !@#$% Tinkerer!

...Doesnt work like you had suggested. It still dims.

PM me *BEFORE* you ship them all back.

If I can't pre-arrange something with MichaelM, I'll "BUY" one from you directly (just to get one to play around with it. How much did you pay? 8) ).

Thanks! :)

keyboardgnome

All - I bought the 5 pack, and they want all 5 back for the RMA

http://www.x10.com/automation/ws467_s.html

That was the kit.

The numbers on them are: 07A05
« Last Edit: July 18, 2007, 09:50:14 PM by keyboardgnome »

keyboardgnome

...Nope- I'm one of these folks who's a jack of all trades and a master of nothing...

I would imagine that most of the "Old Geezers" here are like that - it takes one of those "creative, multi-talented" minds to get X10 working... :D

Please visit: GUESTS/LURKERS: Why Don't You Register (and Become NEWBIEs)?  (Read 22775 times) and add your "Intro[/size]".

I'll think about doing that. I'm a cyber security guy by trade; as such I generally dont talk too much about myself except for a minor hole in the wall website. Oh, and I don't want to be called a 'whipper snapper' by anyone :)

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10

...The numbers on them are: 07A05
If my guess is right as to the date codes, that would make them a batch from this year. My guess is that the letter represents the month and the last two numbers the date. Be sure and let us know the number/letter codes on the replacements.

I think you may of mentioned it already but they all have this dimming "bug/feature/defect", right?
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

keyboardgnome

...The numbers on them are: 07A05
If my guess is right as to the date codes, that would make them a batch from this year. My guess is that the letter represents the month and the last two numbers the date. Be sure and let us know the number/letter codes on the replacements.

I think you may of mentioned it already but they all have this dimming "bug/feature/defect", right?

yup

Boiler

Say Boiler,

If keyboardgnome supplies the Date Codes, how about adding this to the "X10 Module Firmware Revision History" Database?

Has anyone supplied any Date Codes for the "new" SoftStart LM465s?

Absolutely, this is exactly why were putting the Database together - to capture "idiosyncrasies" of particular date code/firmware revisions.  If we can compile enough information, maybe people won't have to keeping reliving problems documented by others.

keyboardgnome,
The best we've been able to determine, the date code 07A05 corresponds to a manufacture date of January ("A"), fifth week ("05"), 2007 ("07").  There may also be a firmware revision label.  The format for these is typically PxxxxxE where the "E" is the firmware revision.  My RR501 transceiver has a firmware label of P10283E.

Please let me know any nomenclature on your new modules - and how they function of course.

keyboardgnome

So, good news and bad news.....

My RMA is being processed. Apparently, what I'm experiencing is being rolled out in all of their new switches. So, for me, I have to see if I "luck out" in getting some of the old inventory.

The dimming feature is called "smart touch" I think?

So, it's a feature, not a bug.

They also indicated that they have no plans, as of yet, on having two separate lines: one with dimming, another with out. I'm also not the only one complaining about this. Go figure.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305

Would have been nice if the part number was changed or a version number was available. So that we could see what we where getting.

keyboardgnome

I agree, a separate part number would have been nice. Some folks like this feature, others don't. They should state that it is there on their website.

Personally, I find it annoying that if the switch contact is held down for just a bit too long, it can take 2 minutes to 'turn on the lights' (happened again when I returned from vacation and was 'out of practice' on how to turn on my lights). Oh well, at least they're trying to find me some of the older ones that are still in inventory. If what they send doesn't do what we want it too, I'm returning the whole kit.  :-\

keyboardgnome

So they sent me the ivory batch. They work the way we want to! And the first two digits are "06", so obviously old inventory. Only have an odd problem to work out, but I think a filter would be the solution (bedroom light, I can only turn off or dim if another light is on in the room. it doesnt do anything otherise. if I turn on a fan, it doesnt respond to any other x10 commands).
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.