Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: auto security  (Read 3402 times)

keelyc

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
auto security
« on: July 17, 2007, 11:02:10 PM »

I've had multiple car break-ins and I'm at my wits end. I've reviewed the website and just when I get excited that I might finally have found an answer to my problem...BUT I'm not completely sold yet.  My biggest concern is, how do I know what system would work best for me? I like the idea of multiple wireless camera, but am highly interested in a product that does full time recording to my computer.

Questions I have so far are:   ???
Is there a production that does full time PC recording? Which package offers such?
I have Windows Vista. I've notice a few negative comments about the compatability.  :-[ Is this true?
If I move one of the wireless units, do I have to "resinc" the system for the signal?
How good is the night vision? I couldn't find any video samples on the website that I could find? :-\

Any suggestion/comments/input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.....Keey

gil shultz

• Helpful Post Rating: 4
Re: auto security
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2007, 11:11:56 PM »

Good Evening,

I assume they are taking things when they break in.  My suggestion is to put the camera in your house and park the car where it can monitor it that way it won't come up missing. A motion sensor should trip the camera and recorder if it is not to far away and they have the advantage of not being to expensive.  You might want to put a horn module on it so you can watch the action.  There are a lot of security recorders on the web that can be gotten very cheaply.  With the camera in the house you could use your video camera and get a good closeup.

Good Luck
Gil Shultz

Boiler

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2007, 12:07:38 AM »

keelyc,

Sorry, but I'm going to get a bit philosophical here.  What exactly are you trying to accomplish?

• If you are trying to prevent your car from being vandalized light is a great deterrent.  A simple flood lamp or motion activate flood may suffice (PR511).  This assumes you can put a unit within sight of your car
  • \A car alarm with the nice flashing indicator on the dash announces - don't mess with me or I'll make a lot of noise.
  • A camera is a good (after the fact) method for taking people to court and attempting to prosecute them.  The camera may be able to identify the person and you may be able to prosecute, but the damage is already done.

If you can't prevent the initial act of breaking into your car (via lights), anything that comes afterward is simply punishment.  If you are dealing with a professional (doubtful) or juveniles the camera won't protect your property.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2007, 12:20:56 AM »

I've had multiple car break-ins and I'm at my wits end. I've reviewed the website and just when I get excited that I might finally have found an answer to my problem...BUT I'm not completely sold yet. 

What you want to do is DETER the break-in! To do that you need to add an alarm to the car, as well as have a VERY visable camera system.

My biggest concern is, how do I know what system would work best for me? I like the idea of multiple wireless camera, but am highly interested in a product that does full time recording to my computer.

Fulltime recording means fulltime reviewing! I guess if you have nothing else to do......

Questions I have so far are:   ???
Is there a production that does full time PC recording? Which package offers such?

No X10 sells full time montoring .... with motion activated recording. But you can purchase or setup full time recording (to PC or device) with X10 cameras.

I have Windows Vista. I've notice a few negative comments about the compatability.  :-[ Is this true?

There is a Vista driver issue with the X10 video adapter. I have read (here on the forum) of a work around for that... but have not tried that myself.

If I move one of the wireless units, do I have to "resinc" the system for the signal?

You would very likely need to re-adjust the antenna(s).

How good is the night vision? I couldn't find any video samples on the website that I could find? :-\

Any suggestion/comments/input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.....Keey

For night vision I use a couple IR cameras mixed in with my X10 setup. However because I also use lots of floodlights.... I really didnt need the IR. Floodlights are a great crime deterent. Cameras MUST BE SEEN to deter crime.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2007, 12:22:57 AM by Dave_x10_L »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.