Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: vehicle 12V based safety/security  (Read 6564 times)

JWorgan

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
vehicle 12V based safety/security
« on: June 13, 2006, 04:17:07 PM »

I need to see my front bumper, rear bumper, in front of and behind the vehicle and lower rear sides.  I need to be able to set up weather protected, vandal proof cameras and install a monitor in the front of the van where I can select and see the area I'm concerned about.  Would be great to see all camera images at once and then select the camera I want a better view from. The van windows are too high - too much can be below the line of sight of the driver to be safe.

Everythng needs to run off 12 volts of the vehicle without serious drain to the battery.

Also interested in the sonic or laser distance sensors of the proximity of an object and its dstance, particularly behind van, also 12 volt.

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
Re: vehicle 12V based safety/security
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2006, 04:58:13 PM »

X10 equipment is only for 110/200 Volts AC. They do not make equipement for automobiles. Sorry.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

ncarl

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2006, 08:57:07 AM »

Well, that is not entirely true. While a lot of x10 modules are power-line based, the cameras run on DC power as do the wireless transmitters and receivers. The cameras therefore will run on 12 volt with suitable converters, and could be wired to 12 volt monitors.

JimC

• Helpful Post Rating: 41
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2006, 07:00:53 AM »

While a lot of x10 modules are power-line based, the cameras run on DC power as do the wireless transmitters

Although the cameras and remotes do run on DC, How do you get the signal into the wiring without some type of transceiver module, which are all 120 Volt AC. Without a transceiver module you can press the buttons on the remote all you want but the camera will not turn on. I could be wrong but this is how I understood this to work.
_ _ ...  ..._ _

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2006, 11:51:21 AM »

Jim,C

The cameras will not be X10 controllable. JWorgan will have to use a multi input monitor and switch between cameras. He will probably need a B/W monitor similar to the inexpensive security systems available at Costco and Sams Club. You are right in that he cannot switch between cameras using the palm pad method of switching camersa.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

phorce1

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2006, 02:16:49 PM »

Since the cameras are inexpensive and work on 12VDC if the idea is to STAY "cheap" and use a single-input non switching monitor with multiple cameras it just requires a bit more hacking of inexpensive parts.

Buy a cheap radio-control toy that has enough "directions/controls" to cover the number of cameras you want to use. Connect the outputs of the receiver to latching relays that control power to the cameras.

You just have to use multi throw relays such that when "relay A" turns on it removes power from "relay B C D", when "B" is turned on it removes power from "A C D", etc.

You may get some multi-camera video garbage if the relays switch slowly or if the cameras have capacitors that cause them to take a few seconds to completely power down but colliding video signals won't blow anything up.

G2

gil shultz

• Helpful Post Rating: 4
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2007, 11:11:33 PM »

Good Evening,

It is very cheep to put 115VAC in a car.  I have seen converts for less then $20.00 on closeout that output 115VAC up to several hundred watts.

There is one major problem with this solution and that is safety.  Playing with 115V can get you killed.

Enjoy
Gil Shultz

Walt2

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 28
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2007, 07:07:43 AM »

It is very cheep to put 115VAC in a car.  I have seen converts for less then $20.00 on closeout that output 115VAC up to several hundred watts.

That is true, but that 115v in his van would be independent of, and isolated from, this house/business power.  Therefore, any X10 power line commands (camera 'on'/'off') would not make it through.
* Sears Home Control System, Radio Shack Plug 'n Power, NuTone, Stanley LightMaker, BSR, HomeLink.
* Tecmar Device Master, CP290 (LightHouse), CM11A (AH), CM14A (AH2), CM15A (AHPro).

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2007, 12:58:02 PM »

...I have seen converts for less then $20.00 on closeout that output 115VAC up to several hundred watts....
...There is one major problem with this solution and that is safety....
One major problem is that $20 inverter, as well as most, if not all other ones, does not provide a true enough sine wave for X10. I don't have a scope to show you the signals but the wave form that most inverters provide is closer to a square wave. It will fry X10 components plugged into them. I tried plugging a transceiver into power from one once and it got hot immediately.
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2007, 04:11:50 PM »

I have personally FRIED a TM751 on a UPS with stepped sine wave output. Also most inverters would make so much powerline noise. X10 signals would be useless.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2007, 06:23:11 PM »

You can buy back-up cameras (made for backing up vans and RVs) even at your local Walmart.

You might be able to use/modifity/hack a: Logisys RM01 Remote Control Molex Connector Kit to work with the motion sensors and active the cameras.

And you can still find 12V VCR's... just do an Internet search.

The X10 VCR Commander will work on it's batteries for I think, up to two days.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

gil shultz

• Helpful Post Rating: 4
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2007, 11:27:00 PM »

Good Evening,

You are correct most of the cheep ones have a steeped sinewave.  I got lucky mine is very close to a true sinewave.  This I valided with a scope.

There was no mention of using anything that was not directly connected to the vehicle consequently I did not consider operation from the home.  If he has an ok inverter he has a 115 VAC network and the modules etc will work in the van.  If he wants to do it from the house he needs either a RF or IR link.

Hope this helps.

Gil Shultz

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.