Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Help! Please advise a newbie.  (Read 4137 times)

edioz

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Help! Please advise a newbie.
« on: July 16, 2007, 07:05:02 PM »

I am looking for a video conferencing solution, where I can connect with my kids (spread all over the country) and potentially have all of us connect at the same time. Question, is this system overkill? Can I connect with other less sophisticated "logitech" type webcam technology? Do we all have to have the same technology to make this type of a connection work?

I would appreciate any feedback - I have spent many hours researching and trying to decide on the right technology for my family to invest in. Please keep your responses in peoplespeak not technospeak so I can keep up.

Thanks,
e

P.S. I read through the discussion about how to treat Newbies. I have to admit I had no idea what X10 was until a couple of days ago, so I took a risk to ask what, according to some of the community comments, is probably a lazy question, not worth responding to. At the same time, after reading through hundreds of postings in this community before getting up the courage to post something myself, it appears that the majority of folks on this site are very techy oriented. I agree with some of the postings that the community could be laid out better. Perhaps, a "getting started" section would save both time and energy on everyone's part.If there is an FAQ it is not evident to me upon reviewing the site. The X10 site talks about Video Calling - I guess I could ask the sales rep if the product is right, however in my experience, I have found blogging sites and communities a phenomenal resource for getting true feedback about a product. I always start with "people in the know" so I can ask educated questions when I get to the salesperson.

If you choose to respond, let me say thank you in advance for your time and expertise. 
« Last Edit: July 16, 2007, 07:31:34 PM by edioz »

MichaelC

• Helpful Post Rating: 36
Re: Help! Please advise a newbie.
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2007, 07:34:23 PM »

You don't say which X10 system you are looking at, but I don't think any of the X10 solutions work for very well for video conferencing.

First, none of the X10 remote video applications support audio transmission (though you could all get on the phone and use only the X10 software only for video). Second, X10 programs don't have an easy way to make a two-way connection. It's technically possible for two or more people to run Vanguard or iWitness/iWatchout and connect to each other simultaneously, but it's not easy to do. It would also require a lot of coordination of user IDs and passwords. Finally, everyone involved would need to have an X10 software setup to use the X10 solutions -- so it wouldn't work with Logitech or other regular webcams that your family members might have.

I'm not aware of any easy to use programs that allow multiple video connections, but Skype is easy to use and free. It supports voice conferencing, but only allows two-person video calls at this point. Skype and most other similar applications work with just about any camera there is, including X10 cameras using the VA11A.

edioz

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2007, 07:43:40 PM »

Great feedback. Thank You.

The X10 site reads . . .
Chatting face-to-face has never been easier!
We've taken the instant messaging technology you already know and use and optimized it for our Video Calling System, adding features like high quality, crystal-clear optics and the ability to pan, tilt, and zoom in on the person you're talking to. With video calling and all of our Video Calling System's great features, it's the next best thing to being there!

No hidden extra costs - just video calling, absolutely free!

Is this a new product perhaps?

e

edioz

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2007, 07:45:46 PM »

The site goes on to say . . .
The X10 Video Calling System lets me talk to my friends and family exactly how I want to. I can let them see how I'm really doing, and the wife and kids love it too! Whether we're showing off the baby's first tooth to Grandma or letting our friends look around our new house, the X10 Video Calling System lets them right in. They see everything so clearly it's like they're right there with us – and all for less than the cost of a round-trip plane ticket!

Any feedback is appreciated.
Thanks!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2007, 09:38:28 PM »

X10 does have a Video Calling System..... although I haven't heard any more about it than you have (just what I have read).

However .... I have used other Internet video systems since the very beginning (over 10 years now).

• You (all users involved) need a fast (broadband) connection. Fast computers are a big help too!
  • I generally consider the logitech web cams as some of the best. The latest one I got for my wife's new Vista PC has automatic face tracking. You have to see that to believe it.
  • I also use an IP cam. The picture and shutter speed is close to TV quality, however mine doesn't transmit audio. But because I have the "digital package?" from the cable company, I also have free long distance, and can talk over the phone while viewing video.
  • I use both AIM and Yahoo messengers, both are free. I have never had great luck with MSN's video chat, however millions of others apparently have.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2007, 09:44:32 PM by Dave_x10_L »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

MichaelC

• Helpful Post Rating: 36
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2007, 06:32:35 PM »

The X10 Video Calling system doesn't actually make or receive calls -- it's a way to use the Vanguard camera and VA11A to with other webcam or video calling software. The video calling system gives you a window you can use to control the camera from the PC while engaged in calls using Skype or Yahoo IM or other messaging systems that support video.

So, the marketing message doesn't quite tell you what you need to know, which is that you still need to find a piece of software to do the video conferencing. The reason the X10 Video Calling system is so expensive is because it includes the Vanguard camera, a really nice camera which has pan, tilt, and 30x zoom. It also has a nice big lens which lets in lots of light and produces a good picture. You are limited to the resolution of the VA11A, however. It's only 640x480. I believe most of the newer cameras from Logitech, Microsoft, and other produce a higher resolution image on the PC.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2007, 06:50:09 PM »

....... the Vanguard camera, a really nice camera which has pan, tilt, and 30x zoom. It also has a nice big lens which lets in lots of light and produces a good picture. You are limited to the resolution of the VA11A, however. It's only 640x480. I believe most of the newer cameras from Logitech, Microsoft, and other produce a higher resolution image on the PC.

GREAT info MichaelC, thanks for sharing that! 640x480 is plenty enough resolution... as all the video messengers I know of limit image size because of bandwidth usage.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

edioz

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2007, 11:15:10 AM »

Thanks Michael and Dave,

I appreciate your insights. You are right about the marketing message, it is unclear. I will pursue the other suggestions. Thank you so very much. Have a great day!

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.