Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Radio Shacks Version DS7000  (Read 8665 times)

tom j

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
Radio Shacks Version DS7000
« on: July 19, 2007, 02:10:47 PM »

Say what happen to the Radio Shack version of the x10 DS7000?? I was telling a friend about it he went to their website and couldn't find it. Anyone know why it's been discontinued? I did read that someone said they were going to write Radio Shack and complain about the fact that the unite could be rendered useless with a simple palm pad or any other x 10 remote for that matter wonder if that had anything to do with their decision. Thanks

Tom j

KDR

• Helpful Post Rating: 53
    • Home Automation Chat
Re: Radio Shacks Version DS7000
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2007, 02:24:15 PM »

Radio Shack is discontinuing all of the X10 made items including the 49-1000  (DS7000). You can find a few items in some of the stores at a great price but once there gone its over.
Note: "Guests" may read the X10 forum , but you must register to post!

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

Walt2

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 28
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2007, 03:02:35 PM »

The loss of Radio Shack must be a major blow to X10 Inc, probably only second to their loss of Sears years ago.
* Sears Home Control System, Radio Shack Plug 'n Power, NuTone, Stanley LightMaker, BSR, HomeLink.
* Tecmar Device Master, CP290 (LightHouse), CM11A (AH), CM14A (AH2), CM15A (AHPro).

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2007, 03:10:23 PM »

Years ago, Rye told me X10 has two factories in China, located across the road from each other. One of them was strickly for Radio Shack, so yes, I bet losing RS hurt.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

tom j

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2007, 08:01:23 PM »

Years ago, Rye told me X10 has two factories in China, located across the road from each other. One of them was strickly for Radio Shack, so yes, I bet losing RS hurt.

Yep, I bet it did this guy said he was sending a letter to the CEO of Radio Shack complaining about how easily the system could be bypassed and warned of the possibility of law suites. x10 should have taken him seriously instead of blowing him off!

Tom j
« Last Edit: July 24, 2007, 06:47:18 PM by tom j »

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2007, 10:16:15 PM »

I don't think so.  Tandy Corporation (Radio Shack's owner) has a history of dumping products (and divisions) over the years. Tandy once many years ago they had a leather products division complete with stores. About 3 years after they started it, they closed all the stores and the division.  Radio Shack not only dropped the  DS7000, they also dumped the entire Plug-n-Power line. My local Radio Shack was a quick source of X10 compatible lamp and appliance modules. I can walk there from my house.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

tom j

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2007, 11:53:06 PM »

I don't think so.  Tandy Corporation (Radio Shack's owner) has a history of dumping products (and divisions) over the years. Tandy once many years ago they had a leather products division complete with stores. About 3 years after they started it, they closed all the stores and the division.  Radio Shack not only dropped the  DS7000, they also dumped the entire Plug-n-Power line. My local Radio Shack was a quick source of X10 compatible lamp and appliance modules. I can walk there from my house.

Hi Dan, Well maybe so but I'm sure that letter didn't help, they probably weren't even aware of the problem maybe they just thought it was just to much of a liability, who knows ???

Tom j
« Last Edit: July 24, 2007, 06:46:20 PM by tom j »

Walt2

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 28
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2007, 07:09:40 AM »

Yea, Radio Shack has been moving away from the hobbyist and experimenter for while now, and is trying to reinvent itself as a small scale BB or CC.  They want to sell TV, DVD players, and cell phones, mostly.  That $0.10 resistor; forget it.
* Sears Home Control System, Radio Shack Plug 'n Power, NuTone, Stanley LightMaker, BSR, HomeLink.
* Tecmar Device Master, CP290 (LightHouse), CM11A (AH), CM14A (AH2), CM15A (AHPro).

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2007, 12:09:00 PM »

I don't think so.  Tandy Corporation (Radio Shack's owner) has a history of dumping products (and divisions) over the years. Tandy once many years ago they had a leather products division complete with stores. About 3 years after they started it, they closed all the stores and the division. 

Dan, don't forget the great "Computer City" experiment from Tandy. That didn't last long either. If Tandy would not have put them "next door" to every CompUSA,  Computer City might still be in business.

I think Tandy is making a serious mistake by by moving the focus of Radio Shack marketing. As Walt points out, soon they will look like a small box version of the big box electronic stores. I think RS is Tandy's only success story. This is what happens when bean counters get in charge. (general apologies to bean counters and ...oh what the heck, attorneys)  I guess time will tell.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

tom j

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2007, 06:54:11 PM »

Yeah but Dan how long did they carry that Plug & Power stuff 20 years or so I 'm just guessing. If so it had to be something bigger then I think we just don't want to carry this line anymore. I'm sure it wasen't sales, there just aren't to many places you can walk in and walk out with a wireless alarm system for 100 bucks.

Tom j 

Charles Sullivan

• Helpful Post Rating: 94
    • HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OSX
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2007, 09:15:54 PM »

Yeah but Dan how long did they carry that Plug & Power stuff 20 years or so I 'm just guessing. If so it had to be something bigger then I think we just don't want to carry this line anymore. I'm sure it wasen't sales, there just aren't to many places you can walk in and walk out with a wireless alarm system for 100 bucks.

Tom j 

The household electrical environment has changed enough over the past 20 years that the typical non-tinkerer homeowner  can have a lot of problems making X10 work, and is more than likely to just return everything for a refund.  I've heard Lowes dropped the X10 line because the return rate was approaching 50%.

Years ago the only major problem was coupling the X10 signals across phases.  Nowadays it's also a matter of tracking down and adding filters to noise-generating or signal-sucking appliances.   While the alarm system itself is wireless, I suspect most buyers would expect its output powerline signals for lights and/or siren to work as advertised right out of the box.

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.
X10 on Windows is like that.

HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OS X     http://www.heyu.org

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2007, 06:58:02 AM »

The newer 49-1000 [after the DS7000 Clone] also would not trigger a Powerhorn Siren. No matter what Radio Shack said it would.
Yes. Modern homes need troubleshooting to get X10 and other protocols working. Plug and Play rarely works thees days.

tom j

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2007, 02:29:45 AM »

Tom j 

The household electrical environment has changed enough over the past 20 years that the typical non-tinkerer homeowner  can have a lot of problems making X10 work, and is more than likely to just return everything for a refund.  I've heard Lowes dropped the X10 line because the return rate was approaching 50%.

Years ago the only major problem was coupling the X10 signals across phases.  Nowadays it's also a matter of tracking down and adding filters to noise-generating or signal-sucking appliances.   While the alarm system itself is wireless, I suspect most buyers would expect its output powerline signals for lights and/or siren to work as advertised right out of the box.

Say Charles what do you think the best home automation protocol is now? And the 50% return rate probably was more to do with x10's poor overall quality. I got tons of electronics and my x10 stuff basically works pretty well may have to get a filter for my new furnace through. And even with all it's quirks for the money I still think the x10 protocol is best thing going.

Tom j

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.