Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: calling macro from a macro  (Read 34734 times)

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
Re: calling macro from a macro
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2007, 08:00:06 PM »

...I'd love to try your .AHX file....
I just emailed you a copy of it. Let me know if it works for you.
If I figure out how to post it for anyone that wants it, I will.
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

tomh

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2007, 11:18:13 PM »

Steven and Boiler,

I noticed this posting which was similar to mine about the timer limitation.  I thought I had exhausted all the possibilities until I read this.  I make the perfect beta tester since I do seem to gravitate toward problems.  I'm a Ziggy with a dark cloud over my head.  I tested the Appliance Control method and I can link at least 4 macros.  I can initiate via the AHP software on the screen or my mini controller.  I have not tried initiating via RF or for any longer than what I am going to write down.  It may seem lengthy, but I can always tweak things at a later date.  I just happy this part works.  I have also learned that due to transmission speed, a few delays don't hurt overall.  So, here is my contribution:

Main Macro=M2
Radio=C2

Trigger M2 ON
Appliance Control C2 ON
Delay 5 seconds (radio plays here)
Appliance Control C2 OFF (radio goes off here)
Delay 2 seconds (just 'cause it seems to work)
Appliance Control M3 ON

Trigger M3 ON
Appliance Control C2 ON (radio plays again)
Delay 5 seconds
Appliance Control C2 OFF (radio goes off again)
Delay 2 seconds
Appliance Control M4 ON

Trigger M4 ON
Appliance Control C2 ON (radio plays some more)
Delay 5 seconds
Appliance Control C2 OFF (radio goes off again)
Delay 2 seconds
Appliance Control M5 ON

Trigger M5 ON
Appliance Control C2 ON (radio plays for the last time)
Delay 5 seconds
Appliance Control C2 OFF (radio goes off for the last time)
Delay 2 seconds
Appliance Control M2 OFF
Appliance Control M3 OFF
Appliance Control M4 OFF
Appliance Control M5 OFF

I figure in the last step it would be a good thing to turn everything off so I don't get stray signals turning things off and on.  Heck, it's a workaround, but it does work at this point.  I am going to try it for a longer period of time over the next week to see if I can break the 4.5 hour timer limit per Macro.  Oh, my Macros were M2 calling on M3, M3 calling on M4, and M4 calling on M5 for a total of 4 Macros.  I created all the Macros from the drop down function on the Menu Bar (Edit--->Create Macro) and the Advanced Functions drop down box.

tomh

[TTA Edit: Formatted MACRO for visual impact.]
« Last Edit: July 24, 2007, 07:41:44 AM by TakeTheActive »

Boiler

« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2007, 11:55:58 PM »

Tom,
I can't explain it yet, but I've confirmed Steven's observations.  Using his setup, the applicance control OFF command appears as an On command in the Macro Status Report.  Executing the macro(s) does not produce an OFF command.

I've done some things similar to your example and they have functioned well.  Steven's setup doesn't work, and at the moment, I don't understand why.  If anything, he is far more cautious with his use of delays and flag clears than I have been.

tomh

« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2007, 12:12:23 AM »

Boiler,

How peculiar.  I decided to set up a series of Macros to turn my radio on around 7 p.m. or so tomorrow.  My commands are to turn OFF the Macros in the end just like my example, and lo and behold, my Macro report shows them as ON.  I also noticed that my delays which I set up for 4 1/2 hours show 4:16:00 on the report.  What's that all about???  I know that if I attempt to set up a timer for more than 4 1/2 hours per Macro, I get a pop up saying that 4 1/2 hours is the limit per Macro.  Roseanne Rosannadanna said it best, "if it's not one thing it's another!" 

tomh

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2007, 02:01:51 AM »

It's a relief that others do see the problem and that it's not just my computer.

My last couple tries have worked ok but I'm going to continue to follow any Appliance OFF commands with a macro report to verify till I can figure out what is causing the problem. I still suspect that it happens most when there already exists an ON command for the same HC.

One possible "work around fix" seems to be to set up an OFF with a different HC and then modify the code.
e.g. Set one with A1 OFF and download. Then go back and change the A1 to what you want it to be, say P5 OFF.

...I make the perfect beta tester since I do seem to gravitate toward problems.  I'm a Ziggy with a dark cloud over my head....
Murphy and I have a special bond. I too have a knack for finding the bugs that only seem to happen while standing on your head and rubbing your tummy with your tongue sticking out.
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

TakeTheActive

• Helpful Post Rating: 126
  • Old !@#$% Tinkerer!
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2007, 08:55:00 AM »

...If I figure out how to post it for anyone that wants it, I will.

What about:

• ZIPing the file using a 'creative' name (Samples.AHX -> Samples_AHX.Zip), since the AHX is a XML which is basically TXT which COMPRESSES very well (to help conserve storage disk space and transmission bandwidth)

• UPLOADing the zipped file to your GeoCities account into a subdirectory such as Files/Shared

• CREATing a LINK to the file and placing it in your reply *OR*

• ATTACHing the zipped file here, after renaming it to Samples_AHX_ZIP.Txt, due to the file name restrictions on attached files (I'd avoid this choice since we currently don't have a SysAdmin and if we run out of space, again, there will be no one available to "fix it").

I'm sure many other members know how to do this (and thus 'could' have replied to you). And, not trusting my memory completely, I'd bet that there might even be similar instructions somewhere in an Archived post. ;)
Low Post Count != Low Knowledge - High Post Count != High Knowledge ;)

ADVICE TO X-10 NEWBIES FROM AN X-10 OLD-TIMER

Boiler

« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2007, 08:00:57 PM »

Steven,
I'm now in total agreement-

Appliance Control Bug!

I was testing the theory -
The Appliance Module Control will allow you to insert a command (Say Appliance Module P4 off) without there actually being a hardware device or macro at address P4.  I theorized that AHP might get confused by the order in which things were created and was trying the following:
  • Create Macro P4 On
  • Create Macro P4 OFF
  • Create Appliance module ON/Off Calls

After a number of successes I closed AHP and re-opened.  Upon re-opening the state of the Appliance Module call had flipped from Off to ON.  Nothing else had changed.  In fact, the correct code was still in the CM15a and still operated properly.  AHP just got confused and reinterpreted the call as an ON.

As a side note, I've been trying the dimmable module control.  So far I haven't had any problems (using absolute On/Off calls to trigger macros).  Seems a bit weird using a dimmable module to call a macro, but that would be just one item on a long list of weird X10 workarounds.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2007, 08:02:35 PM by Boiler »

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2007, 12:30:59 AM »

...After a number of successes I closed AHP and re-opened.  Upon re-opening the state of the Appliance Module call had flipped from Off to ON.  Nothing else had changed.  In fact, the correct code was still in the CM15a and still operated properly.  AHP just got confused and reinterpreted the call as an ON....
Just to clarify, was it your experience that in spite of the the appliance flipping from OFF to ON in the report, that the code still executed as an OFF? I believe for me that it executed as ON after it switched.

Boiler

« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2007, 07:32:11 AM »

Just to clarify, was it your experience that in spite of the the appliance flipping from OFF to ON in the report, that the code still executed as an OFF? I believe for me that it executed as ON after it switched.

Sorry, that was a bit misleading. 

My experience mirrored yours.  When the Macro report indicated an ON (incorrectly) AHP would execute an ON after downloading to the CM15a. 

In the case above :
  • I had the correct indication in the Macro report (P4 OFF call) and downloaded to the CM15a (Item 1 in my previous attachment)
  • CM15a responded correctly to the Macro calls (appliance module P4 off calls executed properly)
  • I shut down and restarted AHP
  • After restarting, I found that the P4 appliance module call had flipped states from OFF to ON in the macro report (Item 2 in my previous attachment)
  • The CM15a responded properly (still executing P4 Off commands) because I had not downloaded yet
  • Upon downloading the "reloaded code", the CM15a executed the P4 ON command as the Macro report indicated

This isn't a CM15a problem - it's doing exactly what AHP is telling it to do.  With that in mind, we have a decent chance of getting AHP fixed.

So far I have not been able to create the problem using the Module control (dimmable)

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2007, 10:54:02 AM »

...This isn't a CM15a problem - it's doing exactly what AHP is telling it to do.  With that in mind, we have a decent chance of getting AHP fixed...
Thanks for your continued testing and documentation of this AHP software bug.

While in this case, I'd love to be wrong and see an update be released fixing all the known bugs (including another one I found), unfortunately I don't share your optimism of seeing X10 release an AHP software update anytime soon.

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2007, 06:20:45 PM »

tomh

« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2007, 10:23:14 AM »

Steven & Boiler,

I too still am having problems.  I establish the commands and close AHP.  I reopen AHP and the macro commands register as an opposite state.  I have been trying to get my macro to run greater than 4 hours and so far they haven't worked.  I even ended my last macro of the 3 with the command to turn the first one off after executing the entire operation.  I think it's the software that is confusing everything.  I can get things to work with shorter periods of time although I don't know what the outer limit would be as to where it stops working.  Something so simple, yet so difficult.

tomh

Boiler

« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2007, 10:37:03 PM »

Tomh,

I decided to answer your post here since you had your macro posted in this thread...

O.K.,

Days later I have come to the conclusion that I won't be able to get a consistently working macro like I want.  I have tinkered and played, scratched my head, stood on my head, and taken many a beverage break.  I got one macro to work in 5 or 6 attempts and it was set up to turn a radio on in about 18 hours.  Now, today my activity monitor showed that the signal was sent at the proper time, but the radio didn't come on.  It is in a reliable circuit.  Sometimes the activity monitor doesn't even show the signal as being sent.  It does seem to work if I keep the timing short, although I don't know what the upper limit is and that could take a lot of experimentation.  Does X10 monitor this site, because I called and explained the situation to which they gave me some advice.  I e-mailed them the next day to let them know the result and haven't heard from them since.

tomh

It sounds like you may be having multiple problems. 

First and foremost, are you still using the appliance module calls?  If so I would abandon them and revert to the tried and true dummy module call.  At least until someone can better define the problems with the appliance module.

Secondly, if activity monitor is showing the proper "On" command at the proper time, you may have a noise, absorption, or phase problem.  This could be tough to diagnose with an 18 hour macro running.  Can you identify any specific devices that would be operating at the same time?  Have you been having any problems communicating with other devices.

Last, the macro you posted can be re-triggered.  Re-triggering could cause your timers to be "reset" to the new trigger time resulting in a delayed on time for your Radio.  Try adding a flag condition to your macro to prevent this.

Trigger M2 ON and Flag1 Off
Set Flag 1
Appliance Control C2 ON
Delay 5 seconds (radio plays here)
Appliance Control C2 OFF (radio goes off here)
Delay 2 seconds (just 'cause it seems to work)
Appliance Control M3 ON

Trigger M5 ON

Appliance Control M5 OFF
Clear Flag1

Update us on your findings
The Boiler

tomh

« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2007, 09:34:32 PM »

Boiler,

I still don't get consistent results with the longer time periods.  I went back to the dummy module method. I shouldn't have noise problems since my system runs with very few problems throughout the year and at varying times.  I did add a flag set at the beginning and a flag clear at the end to prevent re-triggering.  I'm beginning to think this is not achievable with the current software.  I will keep trying though.

tomh
Pages: 1 [2]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.