Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Can Active Home Pro do what Protector plus does ?  (Read 6021 times)

RCaddict

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
    • My Hobby Site
Can Active Home Pro do what Protector plus does ?
« on: August 04, 2007, 09:32:44 PM »

I need home security system and home automation system in my new home.
After lot of reading the web site it seems Active home Pro can do most of function Protector Plus does using various modules and macros, except dialing telephone . Is this correct? Can I just buy the Active home pro and program it to monitor door/window sensors and motion sensors and sound alarm module? Can I start and stop the security macro needed for this using handheld remote control? May be X10 will release dedicated auto-dialer soon!   Thanks for your help. 8)

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 81
  • He's just this guy. You know?
    • wgjohns.com
Re: Can Active Home Pro do what Protector plus does ?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2007, 11:18:10 PM »

The big drawback to using AHP (Active Home Pro) for security is that the present incarnation requires the PC to be on, connected to the CM15A interface and AHP to be running 24/7.

Otherwise, yes, AHP can be used to replace the Protector Plus.

If you use Tuicemen's AlertDialer software, you can probably even have the auto-dialer functionality!

Hope that helps.
-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

In the real world, the only constant is change.

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

RCaddict

• My Hobby Site
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2007, 12:03:39 AM »

Thanks. That definitely help. But this is what CM15A manual says.

Running Macros with Your Computer Off
Below the text description in the Macro Timeline, there’s a checkbox labeled “Run while computer is OFF.”  When you check this box, your Macro is stored in the ActiveHome Pro computer interface, in addition to being saved on your computer. When a Macro is stored in the Interface, you can run it on a timer, or trigger it using a remote control even when your computer is turned off.

This sounds like CM15A can do it on its own or does it implies something else ?
« Last Edit: August 05, 2007, 12:15:44 AM by RCaddict »

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2007, 07:05:01 PM »

As -Bill- has stated, in order for the security macros to work with AHP, the PC must be on and AHP running. Macros using security sensors cannot be downloaded to the CM15A.

If you go with just AHP with OnAlert for security, keep in mind that you don't have any security macros working if for some reason your PC shut down or locked up. Make sure in you BIOS you have the PC boot-up on power return, and have AHP autostart after boot-up.

RCaddict

• My Hobby Site
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2007, 12:29:31 AM »

Thanks. So back to the drawingboard. I will start with Protector Plus and skip the AHP for now.
Can I use Protector Plus for other standard automation like using remote and separate motion sensor to activate driveway lights without triggering security alarm ?

Puck

• Advanced Member
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2007, 12:37:51 AM »

I will start with Protector Plus and skip the AHP for now.
I recommend using the Protector Plus as the primary security, but with AHP & OnAlert, you can make those security sensors much more versatile.

Can I use Protector Plus for other standard automation like using remote and separate motion sensor to activate driveway lights without triggering security alarm ?

The Protector Plus base station doubles as a single house code transceiver, so it can be used for other X10 home automation.

RCaddict

• My Hobby Site
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2007, 01:16:15 AM »

It seems AHP and PP use different types of motion sensors. Why? Are they interchangeable?

Puck

• Advanced Member
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2007, 01:25:24 AM »

It seems AHP and PP use different types of motion sensors. Why? Are they interchangeable?

The security sensors do not send the standard X10 commands (On / Off). Plus they check in (send their state) to update their status to the base station on a regular basis. So, no they are not interchangeable.

RCaddict

• My Hobby Site
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2007, 01:11:18 PM »

Thanks again.
So sensors are not interchangeable but can Protector Plus decode X10 motion sensors like Active Eye to activate lights connected to X10 lamp modules that are not part of security system?
If yes,does PP decode X10 sensor signals only when it is armed or it is active as a signal transcoder all the time even when it is not armed?
« Last Edit: August 06, 2007, 01:49:12 PM by RCaddict »

Puck

• Advanced Member
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2007, 03:17:47 PM »

So sensors are not interchangeable but can Protector Plus decode X10 motion sensors like Active Eye to activate lights connected to X10 lamp modules that are not part of security system?

Yes.

If yes,does PP decode X10 sensor signals only when it is armed or it is active as a signal transcoder all the time even when it is not armed?

Active single house code transceiver all the time.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.