Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Single gang Wireless decora style switch  (Read 28826 times)

raccah

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Single gang Wireless decora style switch
« on: July 27, 2007, 06:22:12 PM »

Hello guys,

I wanted to know if there is a single gang decora look alike that is wireless and will work with the CM15A's RF antenna?  I am using X10 switches everywhere - but in the middle of the hallway (where the kitchen door into the hallway exists) I need a wireless switch.  I do not want one of those 4 button things - they are not wife approved  ;)

Any ideas?  Please I have searched the web - I am sure I missed it - but please help!

Thanks

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: Single gang Wireless decora style switch
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2007, 06:55:24 PM »

I haven't seen any yet.

Could you have the light re-wired as a three-way?
Home Automation is an always changing technology

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2007, 07:05:26 PM »

...I do not want one of those 4 button things - they are not wife approved...
Assuming it would work, their range is horrible, maybe you could meet the WAF if you came up with a use that she liked for the other buttons. ;)

BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

KDR

• Helpful Post Rating: 53
    • Home Automation Chat
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2007, 08:37:43 PM »

You could take a look at the SS15A slimline stick up switch. It has a gold inlay around the 4 buttons and a bit more attractive. Here is a not so great picture that doesn't do the gold insert justice. Here is a better picture I found on Automated Outlet's website

----------------KDR
Note: "Guests" may read the X10 forum , but you must register to post!

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

raccah

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2007, 08:49:57 PM »

First, neither of us really like the switch with 4 buttons, no matter what color it is.

Second, this is already a 3 way, with switches at the 2 ends of the hall.  We are looking to add something in the middle of the hall where there's no wiring at all.

Any other ideas?

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2007, 10:07:52 PM »

What you are trying to do is make a 3-way circuit into a 4-way circuit, which only a trained electrician should do.  What has been suggested is a SS13A "Stick-a-Switch", which is an X10 unit. If you have X10, it's a good way to do it, but if not, call an licensed electrician to do the job. 
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2007, 10:11:54 AM »

What you are trying to do is make a 3-way circuit into a 4-way circuit, which only a trained electrician should do.  What has been suggested is a SS13A "Stick-a-Switch", which is an X10 unit. If you have X10, it's a good way to do it, but if not, call an licensed electrician to do the job. 
Dan pretty much summed things up. If a wireless approach won't, for looks or other reasons, you'll need to wire for the 3rd switch. Mr Sparky rates for something like that would be at least $269 and I wouldn't be surprised if it was more. That's a lot of dinners out with the wife.
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

Boiler

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2007, 01:05:39 PM »

Like Steven and Dan, I don't know of a box mounted X10 RF solution. 

Zwave might be a solution, bit it's expensive and would not be compatible with any other X10 devices you might have.

A possible intermediate solution would be to create a virtual 4 way using an X10 wired in transmitter (X10 2-way device).  For this you would need the following:
  • Replace your current 3 way switches with an X10 3 way configuration
  • Install a new switch box and wire in an X10 transmitter.  You only need to bring power into this box.  The transmitter will not actually connect to a load or your other switches.  It just transmits X10 on your powerline.

You'll still need to cut holes, drill, and wire the above installation.  It's just a lot easier than a true 4 way install.

X10Pro Transmitter : XPT Transmitter Base

Smarthome Transmitter : ICon Switch
« Last Edit: July 28, 2007, 02:38:45 PM by Boiler »

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2007, 01:22:00 PM »

To expand a bit on Boiler's reply, Leviton makes a single address transmitter that looks exactly like a standard Decora switch (HCC10-1TW).  It does not switch the load itself, but just needs access to power.  It transmits a signal to another another X10 compatible switch that actually switches the load.  You can get one for $35 plus shipping on eBay.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2007, 02:08:14 PM »

To expand a bit on Boiler's reply, Leviton makes a single address transmitter that looks exactly like a standard Decora switch (HCC10-1TW)....
Thanks for the clarification for him.

raccah: This arrangement will meet the WAF. Keep in mind you would need to install a single gang box and run power to it. This could be simple job if say you have an outlet nearby or a real pain if you have to crawl around in the attic to drop a power line. Again to pay someone to do it expect a $300+ bill.

Boiler

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2007, 02:45:38 PM »

Steven and Jeff,

Thanks for the help explaining the Transmitter install.  My posts always make sense when I write them.  I think gnomes must be inserting incorrect words and incomplete thoughts after I've left.

Jeff,
Thanks for the information on the HCC10-1TW @$35.  I'd looked at these five years ago when they were $70+ (too rich for my blood).  Do you think Leviton is getting out of the X10 line in favor of Zwave?

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2007, 03:19:21 PM »

...Thanks for the help explaining the Transmitter install.  My posts always make sense when I write them.  I think gnomes must be inserting incorrect words and incomplete thoughts after I've left....
Yeah I know about those gnomes. Mine mess with my spelling.  ;)

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2007, 04:20:00 PM »

Thanks for the information on the HCC10-1TW @$35.  I'd looked at these five years ago when they were $70+ (too rich for my blood).  Do you think Leviton is getting out of the X10 line in favor of Zwave?

Actually, they are still $70 at a major automation supplier.  I always search eBay first when I'm looking for something.  You have to watch the shipping charges, but I often find a good deal there.

Leviton doesn't seem to be focusing on their DHC (X10) line like they did several years ago.  I understand some of their products have been discontinued (the 6308 photocell transmitter for example).  I don't know whether that means they are moving away from X10, or just pruning a few low-volume items.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

raccah

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2007, 01:02:36 AM »

Thanks for the mass responses!!  I am quire familiar with 3 way and 4 way switches.  Our house being in the midst of a remodel and all.  To recap we have presently a three way switch, that is not X10 and we have ZERO power in the middle of the hallway other than overhead lights.

We were going to replace the existing "pair" of non-X10 switches with an X10 3 way decora styled pair of switches like the WS12A and WS14A.  Than I wanted a wireless switch for the middle of the hallway to send the ON/OFF command to the WS12A's address.  Total cost - should be 50 or less bucks - in my eyes ;D

Unfortunately there seems to be no such switch in existence :( that is wireless.  We have that (the XPT) with the two button face in our home, that carry no load but turn on addresses to our inline X10 modules for our cans in the kitchen and dining room.  The issue with those is that we would need to run not only power but neutral as well.  Which would be a major mess for me to pull off, besides the fact that I would need to drill and make a major mess of the place.

X10 Gods and community - there has to be a way to pull this off!  Is there really no way to hack or cobble together a single switch wireless transmitter! 

Thanks again for all the info and help - I hope we can figure this out!

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2007, 01:55:16 AM »

...Is there really no way to hack or cobble together a single switch wireless transmitter!...
While I sympathize with your WAF, unfortunately for you the wireless multiswitch option is just a more profitable option to make and sell. I've never seen a single wireless switch.
If you could find some sort of conventional looking switch that generated momentary contacts when flipped up or down then perhaps you could wire it into a transmitter. However I've never seen a switch like that either.
Pages: [1] 2 3

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.