Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: X10 Transcievers  (Read 10326 times)

antivirus6613

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
X10 Transcievers
« on: July 30, 2007, 05:59:47 PM »

Right now I have 6 lights and have ordered the 5 for 1 palmpads and credit card controllers. Im going to buy a transceiver but the house is 10,000 square feet. The range is very minimal which is why i was going to buy 4-5 tm751's but I heard the clash on the line so then decided to get rr501's but then heard they crash also. What options do I have?

I looked into the V572AB and if I cannot find a cheaper one I will have to order that. PS. Can palmpads or credit card controllers control 2 lights on 2 house code ex. first button a1 second  b2.

Pss. If I have a 3 way or 4 way light do I need WS12A or can I just use one WS14A. And if i need ws12a I set them all on the same code (ex.a1 for all) right?
« Last Edit: July 30, 2007, 06:04:23 PM by antivirus6613 »

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: X10 Transcievers
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2007, 06:43:39 PM »

WS12A is the Master switch and can be used as a single switch or in a 3 or 4 way. The WS14A is a companion and just sends a control signal back to the WS12A to control it. The WS14A has no dials and only sends a signal back over the traveler wire.
Each can be on a different address same house code different unit code  for individual control or more than one can be controlled together if each has the same house unit code. So more than one on the same address will all folllow one address command.
Like I have modules that can also have a scene address in them. All have an A1 Scene and one command can access all of them or I can use the Primary Address to

No remotes even the Palm Pad can only do one House Code at a time. So one button can not control one house code and another a different house code.

Why do you think you need so many transceivers? Each one TM751 or RR501 can do all 16 unit codes on one house code. If the remote in question can get to the transceiver and its powerline signals can reach the modules that is all you need.

X10 has manuals and help instructions here. Maybe you can find data there.
http://www.x10.com/support/support.htm
http://kbase.x10.com/wiki/Main_Page

Boiler

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2007, 06:59:48 PM »

Right now I have 6 lights and have ordered the 5 for 1 palmpads and credit card controllers. Im going to buy a transceiver but the house is 10,000 square feet. The range is very minimal which is why i was going to buy 4-5 tm751's but I heard the clash on the line so then decided to get rr501's but then heard they crash also. What options do I have?

A lot of this depends on the layout (single story, two story, other) and construction of your house (drywall, plaster, other).  This will determine how far your RF devices can reliably transmit.

The RR501's are polite devices.  They should operate nicely on different house codes.  They also have decent reception. 

I have never tried more than one on a given house code.  In general it's not a good idea to have more than one transceiver on a house code.  At a minimum you would get repeated commands which would cause problems with Dim commands.

Can you divide your house into zones? If multi-story, say house code B for the first floor and code C for the second.  If your intention is to control any light from anywhere in your house you may need the V572.

...Can palmpads or credit card controllers control 2 lights on 2 house code ex. first button a1 second  b2.

Palm pads can only control lights on one house code.  They are 4 battery devices with a decent transmit range.

HR12a Manual

I don't have a credit card remote, but I believe these can only operate one house code as well.  These have a single 3v lithium battery, so I would expect reduced RF range.

KR22a Manual

I see Brian has posted the answer to your 4 way question while I was composing this.

I'll finish with a word of caution - 10,000 square feet is a big house.  I'm not sure what type of electrical service you have, but you are certain to have many devices that can absorb X10 signals or generate noise the will degrade the transmission.  If at all possible, try to put a RR501 on the same electrical phase as the devices you are controlling.  If you can do this, you may be able to get by without a phase coupler.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2007, 07:08:19 PM by Boiler »

Walt2

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 28
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2007, 07:14:54 PM »

I would suggest getting one transceiver, and then get from 1 to 4 "Smart RF Repeaters" (SR731).
* Sears Home Control System, Radio Shack Plug 'n Power, NuTone, Stanley LightMaker, BSR, HomeLink.
* Tecmar Device Master, CP290 (LightHouse), CM11A (AH), CM14A (AH2), CM15A (AHPro).

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2007, 07:25:11 PM »

I looked into the V572AB and if I cannot find a cheaper one I will have to order that. PS. Can palmpads or credit card controllers control 2 lights on 2 house code ex. first button a1 second  b2.

Since your house is very large, a V572 is a wise choice.  It has a much greater range than the X10 transceivers, and will handle multiple housecodes.

If you have a controller such as a CM11A or CM15A, it is possible to control multiple housecodes with a single palmpad if you use macros to map one housecode into another.  That does, however, add about a second of additional delay between the button press and the resulting command.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

KDR

• Helpful Post Rating: 53
    • Home Automation Chat
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2007, 08:03:49 PM »

A good idea if you do go with the V572AB is to spring for the extra few dollars and get the new V572RF32.  The V572RF32 will also handle all the X10 security RF. With the CM15A and AHP with Smart Macros and OnAlert you will get hours and hours of fun.  ;D

----------------KDR
Note: "Guests" may read the X10 forum , but you must register to post!

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

antivirus6613

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2007, 11:01:10 PM »

Sorry for the late repley. I bought the v572ab. I only want lights controlled I dont have any other x10 stuff or want any. Just Lights. Everything should be coming in soon and then I'll tell you guys hows its been. I have 5 palmpads and 5 credit cards controllers for only 50 bucks shipped which I thought was an amazing deal.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2007, 06:55:01 AM »

Well the V572ab should give you good coverage. As long as it is in a good spot. Mine in an attic outlet gave me very good coverage, even with the keychain remotes.

antivirus6613

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2007, 12:41:17 AM »

I think i might put it on the main floor toward front of house. That way if your outside in either garage its accessible.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2007, 06:23:40 AM »

The antenna is a separate piece and comes with a 12' cable if memory serves me. Mounts on a 90 degree wall bracket.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.